Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't try to insure a second car

• 02-05-2019 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

Tried to insure my late fathers car which is now in my name . Car is Opel Astra 1.4 sxi 2005
    I wanted just to have a back up to my own car and just to hold onto it as its in good nick etc
    I'm driving 22 years with no claims full licence
    Cheapest quote 2250 euro
    Dearest was 3580 euro:eek:
    My own insurance company basically hung up the phone on me
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Even with the age of the car find those quotes mad,who did you ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

Yes second policy would have no no claims bonus and your experience is not taken into account also seem suspicious as to why you would need a second car

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Use on extension if your policy allows but you mustn't own the vehicle....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I have 4 vehicle insured in my name.
    2.2 litre civic, third party fire and theft for €300, + 2x CRV 2 litre petrol third party only for €120 each, and a 125ccm moped for €25.

Thats all based on my own single NCB which are used on all those vehicles.

Not in Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Mae Squeaking Semifinalist

premiums seem to go up a lot once a car is 13 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

CiniO wrote: »
    2.2 litre civic, third party fire and theft for €300, + 2x CRV 2 litre petrol third party only for €120 each, and a 125ccm moped for €25.

Not in Ireland though.

Insure the person, not the car. Anything else is ridiculous.

Depends on the insurer. Aviva are worth a shot, they seem the most reasonable company at the moment.

CiniO wrote: »

Not in Ireland though.

That's fantastic but absolutely useless to here....

Ireland insurance is a complete and utter scam fest.

I have trade policy 10 years in my own name they refused to insure me so went to go back on normal policy and I would start with zero no claims and quote of €3k

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

Use on extension if your policy allows but you mustn't own the vehicle....

I do own it now but probably not for long

That's fantastic but absolutely useless to here....

Ireland insurance is a complete and utter scam fest.

I have trade policy 10 years in my own name they refused to insure me so went to go back on normal policy and I would start with zero no claims and quote of €3k

Utter scum

• Advertisement

Utter scum

I however eventually got them to re insure after 2 weeks no insurance and I couldn't drive at all which was so difficult as I've never not had insurance since 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

CiniO wrote:
    Not in Ireland though.

So, completely irrelevant to this thread.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

khaldrogo wrote: »
    So, completely irrelevant to this thread.....

It is, but I just couldn't stay silent and not share my happiness with all of ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My mother has a 03 car. If she insured it 3rd party the cheapest quote is nearly €2k for fully comp its only a few hundred Euro. It's not the car that's the problem it's the people taking out 3rd party insurance on old cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Unfortunately Car Insurance in Ireland is that you can only have ONE Car Insurance policy in your name. As soon as you look for a second, separate policy, like what you are doing, they treat that new policy as if you're a brand new person, with ZERO NCB, and you get charged full whack of premium with no discounts, and the fact that the car is 2005, premium would be fully loaded.

If you have a partner who doesn't have a car insurance policy of their own, they could take out the policy, and have you as a named driver, assuming they have NCB that would discount the premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Aviva do a multi car policy. Might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

pablo128 wrote: »
    Aviva do a multi car policy. Might be worth looking into.

Do they mind if one of the cars is old?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Try Axa - if you don't have named drivers on either car they may well "mirror" your NCB onto the 2nd policy. If you do have named drivers it may be more problematic

I have done this with them recently and I wasn't an existing customer - went into Axa office and told them if they'd mirror my NCB from my main policy onto a new 2nd policy I would give them two policies. As I can only drive one car at once it would appear to be a win for them. Also a win for me as they were one of the cheapest for my main policy and the 2nd policy was about the same price as the main one.

Axa also seem to be one of the best insurers for older cars in my case my cars are 10 and 20 years old.

Of course I might get shafted by them at renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Depends on the insurer. Aviva are worth a shot, they seem the most reasonable company at the moment.

Not in my case, I have house insurance with them but they won't even quote me for car insurance for the past 2 years ever since the car turned 10 years old
    What's the point of yearly NCTs when you can't get reasonable insurance on older cars

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

If the car isnt worth much and you are not that worried about something happening to it you could sell and transfer ownership of your fathers car into another relatives name. If your policy allows "driving of other cars" you will then be insured to drive it.

However when it is parked up anywhere or crashed into or stolen you have no insurance policy to claim from.

Make sure you check your policy schedule though if you have cover to drive other cars.

Some insurers state that the other car has to have a valid insurance policy for your to be covered, buy most do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

If I remember correctly Aviva were the instigators of the blanket bans on insuring cars based on age.

They are also the main insurer who won't cover driving other cars if it is not already insured which makes that extension much less useful and potentially a criminal conviction trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Del2005 wrote: »
    My mother has a 03 car. If she insured it 3rd party the cheapest quote is nearly €2k for fully comp its only a few hundred Euro. It's not the car that's the problem it's the people taking out 3rd party insurance on old cars.

No the problem is the insurance industry. Also I know in my case I found it very difficult to get insurance on my 1998 car back in 2016 and 2017 and I couldn't get fully comp on it. They would only insure it third party fire & theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    No the problem is the insurance industry. Also I know in my case I found it very difficult to get insurance on my 1998 car back in 2016 and 2017 and I couldn't get fully comp on it. They would only insure it third party fire & theft.

I checked my 05 on all possible levels of covers and tpft was always the cheapest, so not sure where Del got this idea. I would obviously pick comprehensive, even if I wasn't to use it anyway to protect the ncb.

It does seem however that insurance companies are now offering good quotes on older car this year. I am just guessing here, but they probably realised they messed up when looked at last 2 years premiums intake...

Vic_08 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly Aviva were the instigators of the blanket bans on insuring cars based on age.

They are also the main insurer who won't cover driving other cars if it is not already insured which makes that extension much less useful and potentially a criminal conviction trap.

I have car over the age and got a very good quote with them. They may have changed policy. 500 TPF&T for a 20 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

My wife's car is insured with Aviva. '07 Ford Focus. It hasn't gone near €350 for he last number of years. Comp, full NCB protection, DOC etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'm with Aviva and renewed my policy last week. Driving full licence with no claims for the last 24 years and it goes up year upon year. 600euro this year when it was just over 400 about 4 years ago. Drives me nuts. No regulation whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

driving a 14 year old BMW for the last three years insurance hovering at the €700-750 mark for each of the years. 12 years full licence, 5 years NCB, fully comp, breakdown assist etc. with axa.

I'd really love to know how their algorithms work, I'm happy enough with the €700~, it's up in June so hoping for around the same as I'm planning to flog the car in February next year when bonus time rolls in.

Heckler wrote: »
    I'm with Aviva and renewed my policy last week. Driving full licence with no claims for the last 24 years and it goes up year upon year. 600euro this year when it was just over 400 about 4 years ago. Drives me nuts. No regulation whatsoever.

Do you not shop around? They all penalise the lazy. Ring them up and tell them you got a better quote and they will likely match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Definitely give Aviva a call.
    For the first time in a number of years our policy renewal was Under 400 euro F.C.. (08 mondeo 1.6 in Dublin)

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Definitely give Aviva a call.
    For the first time in a number of years our policy renewal was Under 400 euro F.C.. (08 mondeo 1.6 in Dublin)

Guy on the phone said they were trying to gain customers at the moment.

Advertisement