Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wibbs wrote: »
    Let the praise and envy begin. :)

Actually, I was thinking(Danger!) maybe make this the SOTC(State Of The Collection) thread? We don't have one and we should. Where you post up your stash of tickers, buzzers, hummers et al.

It looks like RUK bombed us out of the water with his impressive SOTC. I am going to be brave, my humble collection might make it easier for others to post here, as we don't have a SOTC thread.
    I am new to this hobby/addiction, this time last year I owned the gold coloured quartz seiko. Just want to say thanks Wibbs for enabling me your advice and opinions, never mind 'introducing pictures' So here goes
    Top pic; Seiko quartz
    2nd pic; Seiko bunch
    3rd pic; Longines, one each from 60's, 70's and 80's
    4th pic Group shot da 44 in front, couple of Jiuskos (pale blue is my wife's) .

373542.JPG

Any questions fire away.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Sure why not..

I've decided to become a 3 watch man for the foreseeable future. If I want a new one then one has to go. Obviously the speedy now has sentimental value so that stays.

The large black hairy watch in the 2nd picture is 2013 black lab homage :)

I also checked that all 3 tell the same time and both diver bezels are centred before the gestapo Mitch B turns up...

image.jpg
    free screenshot software
    image.jpg
    img host

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So that time of year again :D

my collection is down to 4 pieces now, i find that most manageable in terms of wearing everything as often as i should but still having a choice. The insurance company requires me to keep everything in a safe so i can be lazy about swapping them around so any more than 4 means one is left unworn for long periods.

BD59B98D-2ACA-477B-923F-5437A48D5A88_zpsgtrarzfg.jpg

First up, and my keeper, is my iwc portuguese, i have had this watch 6 or 7 year now so must be due a service soon, the only change in that time is a new oem strap and a new oem deployant instead of the pin buckle. this is my dressiest watch and tends to get worn for formal occasions or formal work occasions.

Secondly is my hulk submariner, i traded my trusty black dial ceramic sub against this stickered 2015 model in watchfinder in london. it cost a few quid, but factoring in the service soon to be due on the black sub, and the price differential between both when new, it wasnt outrageous.

i loved the black submariner, but have always admired the lv, its something a little different to the ubiquitous black dialled submariner.

The new watch also benefits from a 5 year warranty, i admit i havent yet removed all the stickers!

Thirdly, another rolex and another one new in 2015, i was after a blue dialled watch, and this 116300 fit the bill, a lovely dark blue dial that catches the light beautifully, and the 41mm size suits me a lot better than the older 36mm DJ. Again a 5 year warranty and some stickers to be removed !

Lastly, my navitimer, another one new to me last year, this is the 43mm version with the B01 movement, another classic and the inhouse movement and subtle changes (black date wheel, red chrono hand, larger size) make it a worthy upgrade on the old ETA powered version.

Strangely enough all of these watches were bought by me new, such is my OCD buying used has become more difficult so i tend to scour C24 and the UK based sellers for the best deals on unworn watches instead.

For this year i would really like to add a calibre 11 Monaco (breaking my 4 watch rule!) but not sure what else, the other watches that interest me are a lot more expensive now, id love an AP RO 15400 or a Patek Nautilus but dont see it happening in the next 12 months. That said i am pretty please with this foursome :)

Thanks for reading!

Lovely collection

Special though are we? :)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057397596/3/#post98275864

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Lovely collection

Special though are we? :)
    Yes of course he is SC, it is Cyrus for feck's sake. :D Nice collection indeed.

Anyhoo, thread merged and I think I'll go and rename it. Cos I can. Drunk with powah I am!

39881.jpg?v=1

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

The man has impeccable taste alright. All hail Lord Cyrus :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Mine at the Moment...

612dBcdParL._UX679__zpsfchklucp.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Mine at the Moment...

So much potential☺

So much potential☺

aye...

It used to be full...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

aye...

It used to be full...

What happened?

What happened?

New Baby
    New House
    New Wife (and Wedding Fees)
    New Car for said Wife and Baby
    Re-do of rooms for new baby
    Do up back garden to allow said wife and baby play out the back
    Flat roof leak (3.5K FFS)
    Ridiculous prices for taking said wife and baby on holidays

:rolleyes:

DT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

A year or so of (predominately Russian/Soviet) watch collecting and it's escalated quickly. A few pics to show the lot, with some making it into more than one 'family' pic.

Dress Watches
    Dress_Watches.jpg

Some 24Hr watches
    24_Hr.jpg

A LOT of Vostoks
    Vostok2.jpg

Chrono Crazy
    Chronograph.jpg

And then the rest..
    Other.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

well-that-escalated-jmg8n6.jpg

very nice collection

Any more info on that 24h Vostok...never seen one of those before (neither the dial nor the case)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

peasant wrote: »
    Any more info on that 24h Vostok...never seen one of those before (neither the dial nor the case)?
    Presume you mean the one below. That was my first Russian, bought sometime around the late 90's I reckon. I had a hankering for a 24hr watch at the time so trawled the web and it was the only affordable one I found. That it was a Vostok was neither here nor there at the time.
    It stopped working after about a year and I never replaced it until I got back into wearing watches last year. Was a pleasant surprise to find it in the bottom of my 'computer stuff' box, had it serviced and it works perfectly again.

Agreed it's a bit of a rare one. I haven't seen a single instance in a year of daily ebay searching, in fact the only one I've seen is the pic on the Vostok Wikipedia page.

Vostok24hr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Current state of the collection as of today. Decided to take a half decent pic when changing straps on one or two of them.
    In the past year a few nice pieces have moved on and ive gone from having 12 to having 6. I absolutely hate having a watch that doesnt get worn and right now every watch gets worn at least once every 2 weeks.

I think my aim in time is to get it down to 2, but im not in any rush, ive shrunken it by half in a year so thats good going.

Would like to add a speedy to the collection some day. Any time I get close to it, i think what kind of holiday or experience i can get for myself and my better half and its usually a much better way to spend the money.

24171765272_a2a9686492_c.jpg

And some of the friends that have moved on:

9504944782_c3149374cc_c.jpg

14397066495_c8a701f586_c.jpg

15970400175_c1218364c3_c.jpg

15784691887_176a92ed65_b.jpg

24197704901_67ba5614cf_o.jpg

23984646170_ff65acb28a_c.jpg

24254182796_e6cd3b2223_b.jpg

There was also an Obris Morgan Branco that I had for 1 day and just didnt like in the flesh. Im sure im forgetting one or two, but thats all i can think of, and have pictures of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice selection there FW.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nice selection there FW.

was actually a nice trip down memory lane to find the photos. I remember spending far to long researching every one of of them online, agonizing over silly little details, reading countless reviews, discussing at length on WUS and other forums & having them in a shopping cart 20 times or more before before actually pulling the trigger & committing to buy each one in turn!

Lovely FW, what flieger model is that in the first pic?

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Lovely FW, what flieger model is that in the first pic?

Its a Stowa Flieger Classic no date, no logo. Grail for years and years being an "affordables" kind of watch guy couldnt bring myselef to splash the cash. Eventually sold a few that were not getting wrist time and finally convinced myself to pull the trigger on one last year.

• Advertisement

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Its a Stowa Flieger Classic no date, no logo. Grail for years and years being an "affordables" kind of watch guy couldnt bring myselef to splash the cash. Eventually sold a few that were not getting wrist time and finally convinced myself to pull the trigger on one last year.

Lovely, it's my next purchase I would say. I've been looking at Archimede no date/no logo similar to that as it's a bit more affordable than the Stowa. Nice collection, love the OVM as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Would like to add a speedy to the collection some day. Any time I get close to it, i think what kind of holiday or experience i can get for myself and my better half and its usually a much better way to spend the money.

It is for this and similar reasons that my collection remains within the seiko to Steinhart range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Details on the Black Bay homage, fret?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

How do you like the alpinist? Is something that I find myself looking at a lot.

Details on the Black Bay homage, fret?

It was a beautiful watch, a modified seiko, based on the rock solid skx007, modified by dagaz(Jake duarte) with a Murphy coin edge bezel, custom face, aluminium chapter ring, custom bezel insert and domed crystal.

Nice watch but when I looked at it, I always would think how could I upgrade to a real black Bay, and once I realized that, it's days were numbered.

Any watches I have are in the collection because I like them for what they are, and not as a stop gap until I get "the real thing", whatever I think that might be.
    G rock wrote: »
    How do you like the alpinist? Is something that I find myself looking at a lot.
    Which one!? There's the sarb017, on the leather strap that's the classic seiko alpinist. That watch is worth many times its price. Face is just beautifully detailed, raised gold seiko logo and numerals, deep emerald green color that changes and shimmers as it moves, very detailed polished case that is just the right size at 38mm and a 200m water resistance rating so you can trust it if you get caught in the rain.

The internal Bezel is well made also. I've played with a few internal Bezel watches and the Bezel felt lose and and inaccurate, but there is zero play in this one, the tiniest turn of the Bezel crown will adjust the position of the internal Bezel, tight precise engineering the way it should be.

The other alpinist is the one on the metal bracelet, a sarb059, it's a skx case, but finished to a much higher standard, some parts brushed, some polished and thr brushing is beautifully done. Also has a nicer crown engraved with the seiko "s". Face looks black but in the right light it's a deep green, amazing when you notice it but didn't expect it. Has a 6r15 movement, seikos upper level workhorse for the past few years. Bezel is BI directional non ratcheting type.

It's semi dressy, works with with a shirt and tie as a desk diver, but is 200m rated so is also trustworthy if out in the elements.

This was my first "expensive" watch(I had just started working and earning very very little). My better half helped me get it, as an engagement present.

Timekeeping wise they are all more than accurate for me. I never tested them, but they are never out more than a minute or so,based on real world usage.
    If I wanted to the second accuracy I'd by a 10 euro Casio.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 RUK

Looking to sell my IWC Portuguese and its on adverts.. any idea if I can put a a classified advert here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

yup, post a link to it on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057227803

If you don't have enough posts to put in links, just paste in from adverts.ie onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 28 RUK

Eoin wrote: »
    yup, post a link to it on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057227803

If you don't have enough posts to put in links, just paste in from adverts.ie onwards

Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Zombie thread but no point starting another really!

Current SOTC.

IMG-1615.jpg
    free image hosting

And individually in rough order of preference.........

1) Omega AT "Skyfall" 38.5mm. In collection 4 years I think. Oozes class IMO. Very versatile. I almost sold this 2 years ago.....so glad i didn't. Got a nice Omega blue strap for it and never looked back.

IMG-1610.jpg
    free image hosting

2) Patek 5167. Under the radar to 99.9% of the public. Incredible depth and finishing to this piece. In collection 6 months.

IMG-1608.jpg
    free image hosting

3) Rolex BLNR. Great watch but a little more recognizable than I prefer. The only watch I ever bought from new from an AD. In collection 18 months

IMG-1613.jpg

4) Omega Sea master Planet Ocean 42mm 2500C. Almost sold this too! Now it looks great on Omega Nato. I have this 7 years.

IMG-1623.jpg

5) Stowa Antea Creme. I think i have this just over 2 years. I also had the version with the blue hand but a friend wanted it desperately so I passed it on.

IMG-1606.jpg
    free image hosting

6) Tag Heuer Monaco CAW211C. 6month in my collection. This is the only piece I have up for sale. Wearing it tonight though and wondering if I really want to sell.....

IMG-1609.jpg
    free image hosting

7) VC overseas 42040. Only at number 7 as its only a few weeks in my position and I am still figuring it it is here to stay or not.

IMG-1614.jpg

Where to next? No where unless I move the Monaco. On a watch buying ban this year but watches on the list include the below in no order:

1) Rolex Hulk
    2) Rolex Yachtmaster 42
    3) JLC ultra thin Moon
    4) Glashutte Panoreserve (Blue or grey)
    5) Blue faced Monaco
    6) Omega Speedmaster Tuesday 1

• Advertisement

Mine.. although it was crossing my mind to sell them all and buy an Explorer II polar..

479074.jpeg

Advertisement