Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SmartWatch for Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So you can't do this?

It's definitely there on the garmin vivoactive 3 watch. It doesn't automatically appear, you need to hit the button first.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's definitely there on the garmin vivoactive 3 watch. It doesn't automatically appear, you need to hit the button first.
    Even if it wasn't there on older models, a software upgrade would add it later. I know my Garmin has had a good few updates since I got it last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Seve OB wrote: »
    Clearly

514545.jpeg

Yes I can change pin, but other than that, it’s front middle or back.

Press the button on side of watch and you can select hazards, lay ups, doglegs etc.

To change the flag position on the green just press the green on the screen and you can move the flag.

I have the Vivo 3 as well and its great. Only thing I dont like is you cant put in your handicap and get proper stableford scoring but i think thats an issue with all Garmin watches?

davegilly wrote: »
    Press the button on side of watch and you can select hazards, lay ups, doglegs etc.

To change the flag position on the green just press the green on the screen and you can move the flag.

I have the Vivo 3 as well and its great. Only thing I dont like is you cant put in your handicap and get proper stableford scoring but i think thats an issue with all Garmin watches?
    Certainly on mine anyway. Garmin S10.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Only thing I dont like is you cant put in your handicap and get proper stableford scoring but i think thats an issue with all Garmin watches?

on my garmin approach g6 i can put my handicap in, but i don't think it calculates the points properly so i just select strokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Seve OB wrote: »
    on my garmin approach g6 i can put my handicap in, but i don't think it calculates the points properly so i just select strokes.
    Yea, I can put it in as well but not sure why because the watch doesn’t use it to calculate stableford points.

Looking at various sites online about Garmin this is a problem that’s been reported for years but nothing has been done about it. Bit stupid for a golf watch to be honest that it can’t calculate scores properly. Every app in the App Store for android/apple watches can manage it so you’d wonder why garmin cant seem to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yea, I can put it in as well but not sure why because the watch doesn’t use it to calculate stableford points.

Looking at various sites online about Garmin this is a problem that’s been reported for years but nothing has been done about it. Bit stupid for a golf watch to be honest that it can’t calculate scores properly. Every app in the App Store for android/apple watches can manage it so you’d wonder why garmin cant seem to figure it out.

The developers must be "I don't want to know my score" golfers.

I presume because Stableford requires hole indexes and that's something that they left out of their course database from the beginning. Probably much harder now to implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I presume because Stableford requires hole indexes and that's something that they left out of their course database from the beginning. Probably much harder now to implement it.

The Garmin app has indexing on it so the should be able to bring in stableford scoring. Though I did notice at some places the index wasn’t correct.

The Garmin app has indexing on it so the should be able to bring in stableford scoring. Though I did notice at some places the index wasn’t correct.
    Yeah, it's on the website too. But those are completely different platforms and won't necessarily be based on the same data set. Just column matching one to the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Does anyone use an apple watch?
    Just wondering if there are decent golf apps for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

BraveDonut wrote: »

Yep using an apple watch with Swing u (swingbyswing.com) only used it for 2 rounds so far planning to track the shots tomorrow using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

BraveDonut wrote: »

Yes, use Hole19, find it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

S60 here as well and I'm happy with it. I wanted a watch I could wear for other activities and off the golf course so it's perfect for me that sense, in other words doesn't look ridiculous like some golf watches would in everyday wear. There is a huge amount of features which I thought at first would be wasted on me but I do find I'm using most of them except swing tempo. The features I like most are 'plays like', shots/club tracking and being able to select a point on a hole to figure out distance to hazard(This can be slow and clunky though). The shot tracking can take a while to get used to because you need to select what club you've hit after every shot. A lot of people I shown this to said it's nice but they wouldn't be arsed, it's just a habit for me now to do it after every shot. Think I paid 250 for mine in a sale so not cheap. Ultimately if I wanted something to just quickly give me distances then I would've gone with the cheapest golf watch I could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I love my Golf Buddy gps, so if and when I go for a watch it has to be Golf Buddy for me I'd say. WTX (I think it was) looked great the last time I was looking, not sure if there's a later version out since...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Have the S62, got it a few weeks back. Have played 2 rounds with it so far and really like it. Its got a lot of nice feature on it over the S60 both golf wise and for other activities.

Its not cheap either but in terms of what it can do its faultless. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Have shot scope. Cost about 110 for watch and club tags. Plug little plastic tag into the end of the grip of the club. The watch then picks up the distance youve hit it and the club used. So when you go online afterwards you can see distance of each club, average, which side you miss on etc. Its very accurate.
    During actual play you have front middle and back of green yardage showing at all times. As soon as you start walking away from a green it knows to move onto the distance to the next hole. The putting tracking isnt great, but otherwise very good piece of kit for small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

bamayang wrote: »
    Have shot scope. Cost about 110 for watch and club tags. Plug little plastic tag into the end of the grip of the club. The watch then picks up the distance youve hit it and the club used. So when you go online afterwards you can see distance of each club, average, which side you miss on etc. Its very accurate.
    During actual play you have front middle and back of green yardage showing at all times. As soon as you start walking away from a green it knows to move onto the distance to the next hole. The putting tracking isnt great, but otherwise very good piece of kit for small money.

I have been using mine for 12 rounds now and find it great, I have no problem with the putts as long as you tag the flag on each green, it's easy to do as you bend down to take the ball out of the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

How big is it in reality? I wanted to get one but I'm afraid it would look like I was out on parole being monitored. Given that I'm pretty much a beginner golfer, it would look a little crazy constantly searching for my ball with this on

Nah its not that big. Its big for a regular watch, you wouldnt wear it as a fashion accessory! But in terms of being on the course its barely noticeable.
    Last time i played, it was only after it 'checked the time' for the 15th time the lads realised I had a golfing watch.

• Advertisement

mike12 wrote: »
    I have been using mine for 12 rounds now and find it great, I have no problem with the putts as long as you tag the flag on each green, it's easy to do as you bend down to take the ball out of the hole

I dont know have i something wrong with mine, but if I have 2 putts, say 6 metres away and then 1 metre. It wil end up putting the two of them 2M away each, or almost on top of each other. It doesnt pick the starting point that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

The Samsung smart watch is very good great battery life , there is a free Smartcaddie app which works fine shows front middle and back you get a free trial for premium which lets you put in scores or track flag on green.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

londonred wrote: »
    The Samsung smart watch is very good great battery life , there is a free Smartcaddie app which works fine shows front middle and back you get a free trial for premium which lets you put in scores or track flag on green.

Which Samsung watch is it exactly? They have quite a few. I guess if it's an app it can be used on any them?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Which Samsung watch is it exactly? They have quite a few. I guess if it's an app it can be used on any them?

I have one of the older ones Gear Frontier but it can be used on all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Lads, i'm having bother with my Garmin Approach x40.

Multiple times in a round, the front middle back of green numbers are off.

One example was last night, back of green showing 109, flag is in centre and laser shows 115 to flag. Around 25 yards out which is obviously more than what Garmin should be.

Any ideas on how to resolve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I dont know have i something wrong with mine, but if I have 2 putts, say 6 metres away and then 1 metre. It wil end up putting the two of them 2M away each, or almost on top of each other. It doesnt pick the starting point that well.

Not finding that at all, wonder is the tag too far away from the watch with your putter grip

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads, i'm having bother with my Garmin Approach x40.

Multiple times in a round, the front middle back of green numbers are off.

One example was last night, back of green showing 109, flag is in centre and laser shows 115 to flag. Around 25 yards out which is obviously more than what Garmin should be.

Any ideas on how to resolve?

Yards vs metres?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Yards vs metres?

I'll look into that but i'm positive some of the differences are more than 10% and my settings show yards in both the watch and garmin connect.

Their twitter support is useless too, days for a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

garmin are shocking for answering queries. they even have their own forum (or certainly had) and you would be doing well to get any kind of response there either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

tvc15 wrote: »
    How big is it in reality? I wanted to get one but I'm afraid it would look like I was out on parole being monitored. Given that I'm pretty much a beginner golfer, it would look a little crazy constantly searching for my ball with this on

Don't buy yet, V3 is being released in a few weeks and it's much smaller. I have one ordered in the members presale, being delivered from June 10th. I'll post some pics and review when I get it.

Advertisement