Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Worldwide Handicap System

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭blackbox

slingerz wrote: »
    after this weekend i am looking forward to this new system coming in.

Our club had a CSS if 39 and 27 people had 40 points or better. There was 1 x 48 points, 2 x 47 and 1 x 45

How can CSS be so high? Like how is it calculated? I saw a guy have 41 points off 12 and get cut 0.2/0.3 despite beating his handicap by 5 shots!!!

My understanding is that the CSS is high because there were so many high scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

blackbox wrote: »
    My understanding is that the CSS is high because there were so many high scores.

CSS of 39 is a low CSS as it is quoted in points. Question still stands.

edit: not enough coffee this morning! ignore my response!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,026 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

slingerz wrote: »
    after this weekend i am looking forward to this new system coming in.

Our club had a CSS if 39 and 27 people had 40 points or better. There was 1 x 48 points, 2 x 47 and 1 x 45

How can CSS be so high? Like how is it calculated? I saw a guy have 41 points off 12 and get cut 0.2/0.3 despite beating his handicap by 5 shots!!!

Whats your SSS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

CSS of 39 is a low CSS as it is quoted in points. Question still stands.

As far as I know the CSS can only go 1 above the SSS, not sure if I'm correct in that but it would make sense if your SSS is 38 points

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

As far as I know the CSS can only go 1 above the SSS, not sure if I'm correct in that but it would make sense if your SSS is 38 points

i don't think so

• Advertisement

blackbox wrote: »

i would have thought that was obvious.
    maybe i'm missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Wicklow golf club has a SSS of 38

Always suspicious when i see this, as it immediately springs of manipulation for team comps. Wicklow isnt that easy a course

gypsy79 wrote: »

Always suspicious when i see this, as it immediately springs of manipulation for team comps. Wicklow isnt that easy a course

i wouldn't call it difficult. sure if the wind blows, it would be tricky, but it is very open and quite short. i think a sss of 38 is probably a fair reflection overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Apart from winning the Provincial Towns in 2016.. Wicklow hasn't won a big tournament since the 1980's. So rest easy on your suspicions.

The SSS is 68 off whites. It is 70 off blues. It is 5796 yards off the white... so short and relatively easy to score well on once you know how to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Seve OB wrote: »
    i don't think so

What I mean is if SSS is 38 then CSS can only go to 39 max.(That is my understanding but you may be correct, although I've never seen it in practice).

In the other direction it could go to 37, 36 or 35 even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Poker Face

What I mean is if SSS is 38 then CSS can only go to 39 max.(That is my understanding but you may be correct, although I've never seen it in practice).

In the other direction it could go to 37, 36 or 35 even.

You are correct Miley, if there CSS was 39pts then the SSS is 38pts for the course. CSS can only go 1 above SSS but can go 3 below it.

gypsy79 the SSS is set by the GUI not the club so cannot be used as a stick to beat them for handicap manipulation.

Poker Face wrote: »
    gypsy79 the SSS is set by the GUI not the club so cannot be used as a stick to beat them for handicap manipulation.

Yeah i know.....it is kind of weird that have now been given rating of 70 versus 71 par

I wouldnt see it as an easy course

Ask me next Monday. I playing the open there

Does anyone know if non qualifying rounds will go towards handicap??

I have a couple 43s that were non qualifying!

Nobody knows anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

If you are not playing in a competition you will have to declare the round as counting towards your handicap (signing in etc) before you play.
    You will also need someone to mark your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will winter golf count towards handicap?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

I listened to the Rick sheils podcast on this. Apparently in America they allow gimmies in the counting rounds outside of competition. If it was just the length of a putter grip this would be fine but if it's undefined people could be giving each other three footers or God knows what!

I don't think we're allowing that, but it's bonkers that anywhere does.

blue note wrote: »
    I listened to the Rick sheils podcast on this. Apparently in America they allow gimmies in the counting rounds outside of competition. If it was just the length of a putter grip this would be fine but if it's undefined people could be giving each other three footers or God knows what!

I don't think we're allowing that, but it's bonkers that anywhere does.

i've missed plenty of putts inside the length of a putter grip in my time

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

I wouldn't be concerned about gimmes counting. This, at worst, will lead to a vanity handicap which only hurt an individual player.

Will winter golf count towards handicap?

Going forward yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Really? Placing in the rough and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

padmcv wrote: »
    I wouldn't be concerned about gimmes counting. This, at worst, will lead to a vanity handicap which only hurt an individual player.

I’d categorically agree with this. I was a member in the US up to last year, and my handicap was probably 2 strokes shorter than it would be in Ireland. In hindsight, never putting out was key to that - though my golf crew were never pisstakers and almost all golf is fourball a with cash on the line. with the gimmes if you have 12 1-2 footers in a round you’ll miss at least 1. Then there’s always the “good-good” scenario where you and an opponent both have a slippery 2 footer for par and ye smirk and head off.

I didn’t complain, because we were honest within the parameters of normal, and whilst it’s great I can say I’ve been a single figure handicap golfer, until I have a real Irish handicap with every hole finished out that shows 9.4 I’ll know myself it wasn’t quite right.

Going forward yes

Says who?

Seve OB wrote: »
    Says who?

I heard it on the Rick shiels podcast and it's also in Englandgolf.org.

I'd imagine we'll have the same rules as them?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

One thing I didn't understand from the podcast was...

If gimmies are allowed in US but not here, is it a worldwide system or not?

blue note wrote: »
    One thing I didn't understand from the podcast was...

If gimmies are allowed in US but not here, is it a worldwide system or not?

Think that's with the old system?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Think that's with the old system?

Ah, so the yanks will have to putt out in future when the new system comes in? That makes much more sense.

I'm listening to podcasts while working these days. Which means I'm only hearing the odd bit from them in reality.

There will be regional variations.
    CONGU haven’t declared what ours will be yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

Apologies if this has already been covered, I've gone back a few pages and don't see it specifically.

Am I correct in assuming its your last 20 score differentials rather than just your last 20 scores ?
    If I'm correct in that assumption, if your last 20 scores take you back into, say, last summer, how can the score differentials be worked out with the potential bad weather corrections and slope and course ratings that have only just been released ? Is it all happening behind the scenes automatically or will these adjustments be applied retrospectively ? Or will they just take the Nett Differentials from Golfnet and run with that ?
    Like two 36pts rounds from last year could have very different score differentials - I think, but could be wrong !

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been covered, I've gone back a few pages and don't see it specifically.

Am I correct in assuming its your last 20 score differentials rather than just your last 20 scores ?
    If I'm correct in that assumption, if your last 20 scores take you back into, say, last summer, how can the score differentials be worked out with the potential bad weather corrections and slope and course ratings that have only just been released ? Is it all happening behind the scenes automatically or will these adjustments be applied retrospectively ? Or will they just take the Nett Differentials from Golfnet and run with that ?
    Like two 36pts rounds from last year could have very different score differentials - I think, but could be wrong !

There is a change to the differential which is very similar if not identical to the SSS to CSS adjustment

Advertisement