Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

Question regarding Help to Buy scheme:

Have signed building contract post July 19th and should be drawing down shortly and are receiving an 85% mortgage.

As 1st time buyers of a new build, should we expect a rebate in January 2017 in form of a lump sum? Considering we have collectively paid 5% of the value in PAYE over the last 4 years. Or will it be a tax credits/tax relief?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

sibersha wrote: »
    Question regarding Help to Buy scheme:

Have signed building contract post July 19th and should be drawing down shortly and are receiving an 85% mortgage.

As 1st time buyers of a new build, should we expect a rebate in January 2017 in form of a lump sum? Considering we have collectively paid 5% of the value in PAYE over the last 4 years. Or will it be a tax credits/tax relief?

Thanks

It's probably best to contact Revenue with the question

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We signed on 19th, so just scraping thru, house is down on ppr as new build, but the 4yrs previous PAYE is gonna be the next hurdle I can see..

Having returned home from Oz may 2015 after 3yrs away, we both have only 1 full year of PAYE, around 3k, so I'm assuming that that's all we'd get even tho 5% would be 7k~

Wondering what happens in this situation?

You only get back the tax you've paid

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Probably know the answer already but here it goes. I bought a house before I got married. In my name only. Looking to trade up, could my husband be entitled to the first time buyers grant for new builds if he buys next house in his name only? We would be selling my house to fund the move. Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Short and simple answer is- no.
    Once either of a couple who are buying are not first-time-buyers- the couple as a whole, are not first time buyers.
    Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Bummer.....thanks!

quote="The_Conductor;101361492"]Short and simple answer is- no.
    Once either of a couple who are buying are not first-time-buyers- the couple as a whole, are not first time buyers.
    Sorry.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Probably know the answer already but here it goes. I bought a house before I got married. In my name only. Looking to trade up, could my husband be entitled to the first time buyers grant for new builds if he buys next house in his name only? We would be selling my house to fund the move. Thanks in advance

Also I am pretty sure if you are married the family home has to be in both names.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Prismatic

Anyone planning to borrow more than needed inorder to avail of the new help to buy scheme?

For example you only need to borrow 60% of the purchase price, but instead borrow 80% plus and pay off a lump sum next year when you receive the grant.

You don't need help from the government but why not take it since they are offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

Prismatic wrote: »
    Anyone planning to borrow more than needed inorder to avail of the new help to buy scheme?

For example you only need to borrow 60% of the purchase price, but instead borrow 80% plus and pay off a lump sum next year when you receive the grant.

You don't need help from the government but why not take it since they are offering?

Is it not on the value of property rather than value of loan, makes no difference what lump sum you are putting towards it?

yesap wrote: »
    Is it not on the value of property rather than value of loan, makes no difference what lump sum you are putting towards it?

That's what I said. Value of property/purchase price. One of the rules is you need to borrow 80% of the price of the property. I'm wondering if many people are borrowing 80% but in reality need less and are borrowing more just to avail of the grant.

If you borrow 75% of the property value you get nothing for example.

If you borrow 80% you get 5% of the value back from the government up to 400k.

Pay off a lump sum from the rest of savings plus government grant and you are in a much better position than just borrowing the 75%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

I suppose you could only do that if you'll still qualify for the larger mortgage required based on the CB's 3.5 times your income rule. I know a lot of couples with modest enough combined salaries (<80k) who are only able to afford Dublin property because they have really large deposits (made up of savings and gifts).

I suppose you could only do that if you'll still qualify for the larger mortgage required based on the CB's 3.5 times your income rule. I know a lot of couples with modest enough combined salaries (<80k) who are only able to afford Dublin property because they have really large deposits (made up of savings and gifts).

Or be eligible for an exemption of the 3.5x income rule.

One of the worst aspects of the the new scheme is that the low earners are excluded as their deposits have to exceed 20% as you say.

My question was referring to the other end of the market, people who don't need it and who would not qualify unless they borrow more than they would have otherwise if the 80% rule was not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/government-to-announce-changes-to-the-firsttime-buyers-scheme-35144774.html

I see that the threshold to qualify is now being lowered to 70% LTV. Good news particularly for those with self builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Lads when are the full details published?

Lads when are the full details published?

Finance bill tomorrow me thinks. So them.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stickman22

Just read that there is going to be a change to the FTB grant announced tomorrow & the treshold has been reduced to 70% from 80%, this is huge news for us as we are buying a new build due to be ready in the Spring & the max the bank would give us was a 76% mortgage, we were gutted to say the least but this is great news for us.
    However does anyone know how you apply for it, I can't find anything online. Hopefully this helps other buyers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Joebloggs:37

stickman22 wrote: »
    Just read that there is going to be a change to the FTB grant announced tomorrow & the treshold has been reduced to 70% from 80%, this is huge news for us as we are buying a new build due to be ready in the Spring & the max the bank would give us was a 76% mortgage, we were gutted to say the least but this is great news for us.
    However does anyone know how you apply for it, I can't find anything online. Hopefully this helps other buyers too.

Hi Stickman, explain the treshold to me in relation to the first time buyers scheme?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Pedro32561 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/government-to-announce-changes-to-the-firsttime-buyers-scheme-35144774.html

I see that the threshold to qualify is now being lowered to 70% LTV. Good news particularly for those with self builds.

Not good news at all. That's a complete joke. It's supposed to help people who can't achieve the max 10-20% deposit, this just further helps the people who already have the money for a decent deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Finance bill tomorrow me thinks. So them.

More to be added at committee stage so not even all the info tomorrow. Word is that the top price level may be reduced to 400K with more expensive properties not qualifying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

this means say you are borrowing 70k, house cost is 100k, you,ll still qualify for the ftb grant .
    so 70 per cent loans are now covered by the scheme .
    70 per cent of house cost .

So is the swap from 80% to 70% a good thing. Or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

CB intervened, they saw it as punishing savers. Average FTB is 78.5% mortgage. Reducing the cap could be interesting. Say cap is at 400k. Does builder or second hand house seller with price at 415k now reduce? Maybe not, but it may result in the 400k cap being a magnet for all house prices in that region.

So is the swap from 80% to 70% a good thing. Or not?

Overall its a good thing.
    It would be callous to penalise those who had gone the extra mile in saving a deposit. Also encouraging an 80%+ LTV is hardly commendable in the eyes of the central bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Overall its a good thing.
    It would be callous to penalise those who had gone the extra mile in saving a deposit. Also encouraging an 80%+ LTV is hardly commendable in the eyes of the central bank.

But it's suppose to help the people who cannot manage to save a large deposit. Now it's a free for all for people who don't even need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

No its supposed to help developers build more.
    This 80% measure penalised responsible purchasers. Also self builds are still probably ruled out by it.

To be honest if someone can't save a 10% deposit, should they be getting a mortgage? analysis of arrears have shown they are less likely to be able to cope over the course of the mortgage. They will have to deal with a number of things interest rate increases, employment & life changes etc.

Everyone should have to save for a few years before a mortgage, it's part of understanding the commitment you are making.

I know a lot of people who wish they were made do that rather than put themselves through the last ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

I've had absolutely no social life over the last 2 years because I've saved hard to get my deposit together. Every penny pinched and absolutely no unnecessary purchases. I took out a mortgage on a property just last week on 75% LTV. Surely I can't be penalized for this, while somebody who hasn't bothered their hole to do the hard work and save get's free money from the govt?!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stickman22

Undertaker, that's us too, we have been officially offered a 76% mortgage, we worked so hard to save 60k of a mortgage, we are delighted now that we will be getting a bit of help too

Monife wrote: »
    But it's suppose to help the people who cannot manage to save a large deposit. Now it's a free for all for people who don't even need help.

It's always been a builder grant, they know builders earn greater profits from the less basic houses. It wouldn't succeed in its true goal of incentivising development if it just targeted the lowest earners.

Also more importantly,
    If they just targeted the lowest rung it would put people who haven't managed to save on an equal footing as those that have managed to scrimp and save to meet the requirements.

It would be a kick in the face to those who followed the rules and would generate enormous anger and undermine trust in government and the central bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

It's gonna make all the difference when it comes to actually moving in stickman22. Congrats on the mortgage :)

Advertisement