Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HassanBarak

Hi,

I assume someone would have faced this issue. My 2019 return is submitted and have also received refund from revenue for overpaid tax in 2019. When i am trying to generate a help to buy code i am getting the following error:

Something went wrong and we are having trouble processing your request at this time.

Please come back later and try again.

Error ID: htb:6723137742048122821

The error is only appearing when i include Year 2019. If i exclude 2019 i am able to generate a help to buy code. I am facing this issue for last 4 weeks, have raised 3 queries on MyAccount but no one replied back.

I have called revenue help multiple times but of no use. Can somebody please guide if someone was facing the above error and it got resolved.

Thanks a million in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 john.Reid

Hi everyone,

think this is my first message on boards.ie

Anyway,

I had an approved HTB application last year, full relief was given @20k.

Our new house is ready to go since the first week of Jan, when I went in in early jan out HTB was expired. I had to re-apply (no big deal). Was waiting on my P21 for weeks.

I got that sorted about 2 weeks ago and our joint HTB application was approved on Valetines day - Happy days!

When I went in to add our contract and claim it I realised that now we were only getting 10,500k relief. We did get awarded an incapacitated child tax credit in 2019 and refunded tax for the previous 4 years. so this may have affected things?

does anyone have a similar story. I'm calling them regularly but just anxious to get an answer as all of our budgeting etc was on the basis of full relief.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

john.Reid wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    t now we were only getting 10,500k relief. We did get awarded an incapacitated child tax credit in 2019 and refunded tax for the previous 4 years. so this may have affected things?

HTB is limited to:
    5% of the purchase price
    full amount of income tax paid in the last 4 years

You were refunded tax for years prior - thus paid less tax in the 4 years before HTB claim - I guess the 10.5K amounts to actual amount of income tax paid after refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Hi John,

What's the value of the house? You will only get 5% of the purchase price up to a maximum of 20k, The house would need to be 400k to get the full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Hi John,

What's the value of the house? You will only get 5% of the purchase price up to a maximum of 20k, The house would need to be 400k to get the full amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 john.Reid

beazee wrote: »
    HTB is limited to:
    5% of the purchase price
    full amount of income tax paid in the last 4 years

You were refunded tax for years prior - thus paid less tax in the 4 years before HTB claim - I guess the 10.5K amounts to actual amount of income tax paid after refund.

Hi,

The house is 385k, so was working on the basis of 19,250 relief.

Manically trying to work out how much PAYE I/we have paid over the last 4 years now!

EDIT (again)

Just reviewing my P21's (adjusted for my new credit in aug 2019) it looks like me alone I've paid 22k in tax

Ah i'll just have to wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tongey89

kanahavel wrote: »
    Quick update from my end ..

I rang the revenue team yesterday and I told the agent I would like to talk to EO / Supervisor. Then I explained my situation and the EO took my issue and told me will give an update around 12.

When I checked my application around 11, it was approved already and then everything went smooth.

The EO called me exactly at 12 and confirmed looks like your issue got fixed.

Looks like they are handling a large number of HTB issues and they will prioritise according to the situation.

May be a stupid question but what is an EO? I have had that error for 3 weeks now and haven't heard anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Hello everyone

I am applying for HTB as joint application. My spouse needs to approve from her revenue account. But she encounters error when she tries to join the group

"Something went wrong and we are having trouble processing your request at this time.

Please come back later and try again."

What should I do?

af666x wrote: »
    Just a quick question RE individual vs group applicants - we're getting the same HTB error, and we've confirmed the error is on my partner's end (i can create the application and add her, however when she tries to join, or create her own application, she gets an error).

If I were to apply as an individual applicant, would this cause any significant problems?

All applicants mentioned in the mortgage terms should be included as per HTB summary guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cutielaide

Renjit wrote: »
    Hello everyone

I am applying for HTB as joint application. My spouse needs to approve from her revenue account. But she encounters error when she tries to join the group

"Something went wrong and we are having trouble processing your request at this time.

Please come back later and try again."

What should I do?

We experienced this same issue at the beginning. Try excluding 2019 or whichever year that's causing the issue.

• Advertisement

Cutielaide wrote: »
    We experienced this same issue at the beginning. Try excluding 2019 or whichever year that's causing the issue.

I need to select one year at least. And 2019 is the only latest year available. Before that she wasn't working. I selected 2018 too and filed an income tax return for the same even though she wasn't earning then.

So it looks like, same years should be selected by both applicants, otherwise it throws error.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cutielaide

Renjit wrote: »
    I need to select one year at least. And 2019 is the only latest year available. Before that she wasn't working. I selected 2018 too and filed an income tax return for the same even though she wasn't earning then.

So it looks like, same years should be selected by both applicants, otherwise it throws error.

That wasn't the case for us. I selected 15, 16, 17, 18 and my partner selected 16, 17, 18 , 19.

My partner was getting that error originally but once the 2019 overpayment was paid into his account, we were able to get pass it.

I will suggest you keep on ringing them. Most likely an overpament or underpayment on her side.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

Just would like to update my situation where I couldn't get the application to go through, getting the error message everytime from both my account and my wife's. We were abroad up until last year so were only using 2019 to be assessed.

I had been calling Revenue a few times a week for the past 2/3 weeks and really getting nowhere. Told that my enquiries were on the system and would be looked at. So I decided two weeks ago out of curiosity to try use 2018 and 2019 and the application went through! It told me to submit my 2018 return which was easy to do as we didnt get paid in Ireland for that year. I thought we would get the statement of liability relatively quick.

After a week I didnt get anything back. We are drawing down tomorrow week so there was a bit of urgency to get the application processed. I called Revenue on Thursday and talked to a chap and explained the situation. He said I would have to cancel the application as they couldn't issue the statement of liability for 2018 as we had no income. I said by using 2018 with 2019 it was the only way to successfully submit the application and 2019 would not work on it's own. I said no solution had been offered to me and what was I meant to do. He replied "I dont know". I almost lost it!

Finally he put me on to his supervisor, who was absolutely lovely and helpful. She said she would directly contact the help to buy team as a matter of urgency and if they didnt update me, she would keep an eye and get back to me.

Thankfully we got approved on Friday morning! I got two missed calls and voicemails to update me so the supervisor was true to her word. The encouragement from this thread to hound Revenue to get it through is what I would echo to anyone who is in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

What's peoples thought on Sinn Feins plans to scrap the HTB scheme? I think a lot of people are unaware of it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Devil08 wrote: »
    What's peoples thought on Sinn Feins plans to scrap the HTB scheme? I think a lot of people are unaware of it...

I brought it up on my twitter feed and got roasted for my trouble.
    I also updated a few Quora threads highlighting this- to the disbelief of almost all readers.

Its one of SF's manifesto items.
    Seriously- people need to read what they're voting for- the old Hewbrew proverb comes to mind- 'Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it...….'

I brought it up on my twitter feed and got roasted for my trouble.
    I also updated a few Quora threads highlighting this- to the disbelief of almost all readers.

Its one of SF's manifesto items.
    Seriously- people need to read what they're voting for- the old Hewbrew proverb comes to mind- 'Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it...….'

Spot on. People voting for Sinn fein in the hope theyll get a house easier when in fact they will make it close to impossible. Even if the house does cost 50k less it will still take years longer to get a deposit together without the HTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Verwolff

Do you have any contact to Revenue branch dealing with HTB? My builder claims that can't draw down money while I have status approved on my side. I have no clue how to find out where the problem is. I am going to ring Revenue today but any direct contact would save me some time for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 beefyor1983

Devil08 wrote: »
    Spot on. People voting for Sinn fein in the hope theyll get a house easier when in fact they will make it close to impossible. Even if the house does cost 50k less it will still take years longer to get a deposit together without the HTB.
    Didnt know they planned to scrap .... BUT
    Cant understand your logic. 50k less of a house. Plus say it takes 3 years to save for deposit. Your rent now not being 1500 its 1000 your saving 18000 over the 3 years EXTRA. Now add what you would have saved over the 3 on top say another 12 000. You've now got 30 000 for a deposit plus your deposit is now 5000 less because house is 50k cheaper.
    Then on top your house is 50k cheaper less interest to pay back less time to pay back and monthly repayments lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Verwolff wrote: »
    Do you have any contact to Revenue branch dealing with HTB? My builder claims that can't draw down money while I have status approved on my side. I have no clue how to find out where the problem is. I am going to ring Revenue today but any direct contact would save me some time for sure.

Do you have an application number or a claims number? Based on what you’ve said it sounds like you have only gotten to approval. If you had submitted a claim it would state Awaiting for verification from builder/solicitor

Didnt know they planned to scrap .... BUT
    Cant understand your logic. 50k less of a house. Plus say it takes 3 years to save for deposit. Your rent now not being 1500 its 1000 your saving 18000 over the 3 years EXTRA. Now add what you would have saved over the 3 on top say another 12 000. You've now got 30 000 for a deposit plus your deposit is now 5000 less because house is 50k cheaper.
    Then on top your house is 50k cheaper less interest to pay back less time to pay back and monthly repayments lower.

Not sure how you think my rent is going to drop by 500 quid a month. No chance.
    I'm pretty much a couple of months off having my deposit now. If Sinn Fein had their way and got into power now I'd be pushed back a couple years as they're gonna take 20k away from me. They're nothing but spoofers. I'd pay the extra premium on the house if I'm getting money from the HTB. You get nothing for nothing.

• Advertisement

The rent increase occurs from lack of housing. More houses equals less competition for houses so prices drop its basic demand and supply. No one is going to just stop the htb like that. You really think it's going to stop overnight lol. It will have to be phased out over couple of years. Your scaremongering other people. Your not really thinking of the country as a whole and other people more yourself.
    In fact help to buy was nearly cancelled this year only as an election ploy was it renewed it wont last much longer anyway under any government.
    It's funny youd rather get 5% of mortgage help and lose out on 3 times as much . I never said you get something for nothing.. what do you mean by that lol

The rent increase occurs from lack of housing. More houses equals less competition for houses so prices drop its basic demand and supply. No one is going to just stop the htb like that. You really think it's going to stop overnight lol. It will have to be phased out over couple of years. Your scaremongering other people. Your not really thinking of the country as a whole and other people more yourself.
    In fact help to buy was nearly cancelled this year only as an election ploy was it renewed it wont last much longer anyway under any government.
    It's funny youd rather get 5% of mortgage help and lose out on 3 times as much . I never said you get something for nothing.. what do you mean by that lol

Dont want to get into politics too much and stray away from the thread topic. But yes I did vote for my own needs. I'm sure most people did. I care about myself first. In terms of getting nothing for nothing, I would take the 20k HTB and gladly pay it back on the house price if its added on, which is what the developers are doing. I'm happy to choose that scenario now rather than like I said wait another couple of years before I can get a house because HTB was scrapped and I've to save 20k more myself.
    But each to their own.

So take 20 to pay back 50+ each to their own. I'm near same stage as yourself and if help to buy was scrapped tomorrow I'd be set back a year or two also so I'm not just trying to push a political point even though it was started by others.
    Dont start a political point on a thread and then say I don't want to get too political...
    No matter who forms help to buy will last this year at least. Thinking from the other side of things though ...If loads of houses where built rent prices would take few years to drop and if I buy now and house prices drop 50k I'll be paying off a mortgage on a house that's worth alot less now.
    But things need change our kids shouldn't have to take 10 years to save for a deposit and in the mean time cant rent but need to stay with their parents.

Hello everyone

How do I contract revenue about HTB still pending? Is there a contact number?

Thanks

Just an update on this. I cancelled my application. And then created a new one. Selected 2019, 2018, 2017 years for me. And selected 2019 for my spouse. The application got approved instantly and I received the access code right then.

It looks like they have automated the process so that you get the approval right after the submission of application unless your tax years have something pending. Then it may go for manual review. But my amount for HTB reduced a bit. Not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Submitted my claim this evening as we’re nearing completion. I was confused as to what to put in for the total amount proportioned. We need to claim 13,000 and as a group we’re entitled to more than that. I put 6500 in for me and 6500 for her so it totaled 13,000 but not sure if this was correct?

Anyone let me know if I done it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maitguel

Hi all,

I have an unusual question and hoping someone here might have experience with it. We have gone sale agreed on a property, but it turns out that the property is still in the name of the developer and is the last property to be sold in the development. This property has been finished with some time, but for whatever reason has not been sold to date.

Would this property qualify for the HTB scheme? The revenue website states that the property must never have been used or suitable to be used as a residential home, so not sure what that means? As this property has been completed with a few years, this would mean that it was "suitable" for use as a residential home, so I am thinking it does not qualify which would be a shame.

Would appreciate your views on it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

Hi,
    So been reading and re reading this on reveunue page but it's not that clear to me.
    Do people use this 5% as a deposit?
    As in you don't need a deposit saved?
    It won't be enough for a deposit though as I thought most houses needed 10 or 20% deposit?

Please help. Head frazzled much !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Smile111 wrote: »
    Hi,
    So been reading and re reading this on reveunue page but it's not that clear to me.
    Do people use this 5% as a deposit?
    As in you don't need a deposit saved?
    It won't be enough for a deposit though as I thought most houses needed 10 or 20% deposit?

Please help. Head frazzled much !

It can go towards the deposit, to a maximum of 5%.

Effectively meaning you need to save 5% of the total deposit yourself, and (assuming you meet all the criteria), HTB will cover the other 5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

A Neurotic wrote: »
    It can go towards the deposit, to a maximum of 5%.

Effectively meaning you need to save 5% of the total deposit yourself, and (assuming you meet all the criteria), HTB will cover the other 5%.

Thanks a mil

Advertisement