Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shop is refusing to refund bicycle?

Comments

OK we've had hills, rain, ice, and drivers. Is the poster looking to hit all the bingo card spots?

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

I doubt that the distance was different before you bought the bike. You knew the distance before you bought the bike

I thought it would be easier tbh. I'm quite heavy but I often see people a lot older than me cycling no problem but now I realise they probably have ultra light carbon bikes or even electrical bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭dmc17

Kimbot wrote: »
    Physicskid9..... when did you purchase the bike??

secman wrote: »
    On a very serious note, whilst you may think at this juncture 12km is exhausting, it truly is not, once you stick to it, in time as you get fitter, you will wonder why you ever thought it was exhausting. You will feel a lot better and will get enjoyment from it. You may even catch the bug and use it for other than commuting. You may even upgrade to a snazzy carbon jobbie.
    You really haven't given this any time at all, take a step back , deep breath.... forget you ever started this thread and give it a proper go.
    I am probably twice your age and i wouldn't bother getting on the bike for anything under 30 to 40km, waste of a shower. I'm hitting 64 this year.

Well fair play but I don't have time to spend hours cycling in my free time tbh. You obviously enjoy cycling and that's great but it's not comparable to my situation.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Physicskid9..... when did you purchase the bike??

Just before Christmas

• Advertisement

I thought it would be easier tbh. I'm quite heavy but I often see people a lot older than me cycling no problem but now I realise they probably have ultra light carbon bikes or even electrical bikes.

Or they're fitter than you (because they cycle). I was 22st and cycling to work in Dublin and it was a great way to recover from injury.

I only wish that I were able to cycle to work, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Some busy trolling there for the literal first couple of hours on your new account!
    Have a look at the other posts on that profile, a good spread of topics across a few forums.

I am just waiting for the Sir Michael style "My uncle rode a bicycle once, but it wasn't actually a bicycle...."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well fair play but I don't have time to spend hours cycling in my free time tbh. You obviously enjoy cycling and that's great but it's not comparable to my situation.

You dont have to spend hours cycling, use it to go to the shop 5 mins down the road. The more you use it the easier it gets.

fenris wrote: »
    Some busy trolling there for the literal first couple of hours on your new account!
    Have a look at the other posts on that profile, a good spread of topics across a few forums.

I am just waiting for the Sir Michael style "My uncle rode a bicycle once, but it wasn't actually a bicycle...."

Indeed.

It ends up being a 12k commute every day and I find I'm exhausted by the time I get to work, not to mention the cold and rain. I just don't think it's practical in this country and there are no amenities for cyclists.

If you are exhausted by the time you cycle 6km to work in the morning I really think you should keep the bike and try to get a bit fitter!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

If your exhausted cycling 6 kilometres in 50 minutes you have far bigger issues than losing a few quid on a bike....

Anyway I'll offer €500 for the bike :D

I will give the cycling a go for awhile now as it looks like I won't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Or they probably started out just like you and stuck at it.

The shop won't refund you for the bike that's the end of that idea. The options you now have are to actually use it for the purpose intended (it will get easier and you will get fitter/slimmer) or sell it privately at a loss although second hand bikes are selling at a premium at the minute which is very rare, then either use the money to pay back your employer or continue the monthly deductions and keep the lump sum you get for the bike.

Giving out about things seldom fixes the issue.

Also something I learned a long time ago, never compare yourself to another on a bike as you can be quite quickly embarrassed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

That's not how I would run a business but I guess most don't see that way.

Are you saying If you were a Bike shop owner, you'd take the bike back and sell it on as a new bike?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I recently bought a giant content bike using the cycle to work scheme. Had intended on commuting but unfortunately now realise that it's not practical to do so.

The shop refuses to allow me to return the bicycle despite the fact it's only been cycled three times. Would it be possible to get my employer to stop making payments to the store from my wages?
    1. It has been used. It is a used bike.
    2. The bike was effectively bought with a tax discount. If the shop were to give you what was paid for it, then you would be making a profit and it is possible that the bike shop would be in trouble.
    3. 50 minutes to cycle 6km? I'd walk faster than that tbh!

Have you considered asking the shop to buy it off you and re-sell it as a second hand bike? They might offer you less than it's worth to sell it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

I will give the cycling a go for awhile now as it looks like I won't have a choice.

Thats the attitude, give it a proper go..enjoy, safe riding and let us know how you are getting on. Proper answer from you... :)

No it takes about an 50 minutes into work and then the 6k home is usually a little slower as I'm already tired from cycling in as well as working all day.

What kind of work do you do?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What kind of work do you do?

Work in a local CU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That's not how I would run a business but I guess most don't see that way.

I'd also be weary about letting your work know you've sold the bike. New rules came in last year and you would have had to sign a declaration.

Qualifying journeys
    You must mainly use the bicycle and safety equipment for qualifying journeys. This means the whole or part of a journey between your home and your normal place of work.

Your employer will ask you to sign a statement stating that the bicycle:

is for your own use
    will be mainly used for qualifying journeys.

• Advertisement

1. It has been used. It is a used bike.
    2. The bike was effectively bought with a tax discount. If the shop were to give you what was paid for it, then you would be making a profit and it is possible that the bike shop would be in trouble.
    3. 50 minutes to cycle 6km? I'd walk faster than that tbh!
    Love how everyone is just using this as an excuse to brag about how fast they cycle, no one cares to be honest.

secman wrote: »
    Thats the attitude, give it a proper go..enjoy, safe riding and let us know how you are getting on. Proper answer from you... :)

Thanks will do, I'll cycle in the morning if it's not too icy.

Work in a local CU

CU? Credit Union? I can see how you'd be tired after a days work and a 12k cycle! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Come on lads... a bit of encouragement... the mans for turning :)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    CU? Credit Union? I can see how you'd be tired after a 6k cycle! :eek:

You probably haven't a clue what kind of work is done behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sell the bike.
    You've already saved 40% probably on the cost, so you'll make money or at least break even.

But yeh, you've made your bed.
    You can't return the bike any more than you can return a pair of shoes after you used them a few times.

RE the cycle, it's always tough starting to cycle to work. I was bate after a 9km each way cycle the first week or two. You need to get out even a few times, then it's a breeze.
    Don't even break a sweat now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No it takes about an 50 minutes into work and then the 6k home is usually a little slower as I'm already tired from cycling in as well as working all day.

Walking 6km would take about 50 mins. I do a loop of my town and it takes about 53 mins to do the 6km, and i'm far from an athlete I'm clinically obese. You just have to keep at it. I know how long it takes because i'm forcing myself to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

You probably haven't a clue what kind of work is done behind the scenes.

Do tell.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

mfceiling wrote: »
    I bought a bag of crisps and I ate a few of them but I didn't like them. Why won't Tesco take them back?

More like you licked a few and put them back in the bag :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yeah but I was hoping to return the bike and they could refund my employer. I really don't want to be making payments for a bike I won't use.

Go on a cycle in the evenings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement