Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling gets you very fit

• 20-01-2021 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

I done a 45 min blast on the defy sunday. Pushed it hard enough, got the heart rate up fairly high and 636 calories burned.

Was doing a zoom kickboxing class Monday for an hour and burned 600 calories. I trained doing punches with 2kg weights in each hand for most of the session too.

Very surprised with the results.

Obviously if I was in the gym, the kickboxing results would differ and I also get more toned in my arms kickboxing.

But for a low impact sport, it can get you really fit. I was a casual cyclist until recently but I'm starting to get into it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I only cycle as a means of transport, but once you get used to it, it doesn't even feel as taxing as walking. Although I'd cycle a fair bit most days going to shops or into town or whatever, I don't even consider it as exercise and have to do other stuff to keep fit.
    Might be different for others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the first time i realised 'wow, i *am* kinda fit' was years ago, a few months after i'd started cycling from blanchardstown to leopardstown four days a week.
    had gone for coffee with some colleagues, and i opted to take the stairs up from the ground floor to the third floor; a colleague joined me. i talked the whole way up (not unusual for me) and realised when we reached the top, my colleague, who often claimed to be fit, was too out of breath to answer me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

How are you measuring calories burned?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd only go as far as claiming cycling can make you aerobically fit. The more I've focussed on cycling, the weaker my upper body has got!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I done a 45 min blast on the defy sunday. Pushed it hard enough, got the heart rate up fairly high and 636 calories burned.

Was doing a zoom kickboxing class Monday for an hour and burned 600 calories. I trained doing punches with 2kg weights in each hand for most of the session too.

Very surprised with the results.

Obviously if I was in the gym, the kickboxing results would differ and I also get more toned in my arms kickboxing.

But for a low impact sport, it can get you really fit. I was a casual cyclist until recently but I'm starting to get into it.

I find if I'm cycling in the hills I get a great calorie burn rate but not so much on the flat, even if I'm pushing quite hard. I was a competitive martial artist in my younger years, primarily chinese stand up wrestling and some full contact kick boxing. Wrestling and Judo are fantastic for burning calories, probably more so than boxing and kick-boxing, as you're dealing with a lot of resistance for a lot of the time. I reckon the same is true of climbing on the bike, where you're essentially lifting your weight plus the weight of the bike as you pedal.

Wahtever keeps you moving and you manage to enjoy doing at the same time is all good as far as I'm concerned. Cycling is certainly a great activity that you can sustain as you get on a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

byrnem31 wrote: »
    ...and 636 calories burned..
    How do you know?

Different devices and apps all give very varying amounts of calories burned. Large pinch of salt required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are no calories in salt, WA.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd only go as far as claiming cycling can make you aerobically fit. The more I've focussed on cycling, the weaker my upper body has got!

Did press ups at home on Monday & only managed a pathetic 8, i was hugely embarrassed given my exceptional aerobic fitness.

Different devices and apps all give very varying amounts of calories burned. Large pinch of salt required.
    fwiw, I've found I've had expected weight loss using Garmin(s). But anything heart rate depends on reasonably accurate setting of zones. My bolt (without a power meter) with the same settings gives significantly higher (when I'm on my gravel bike, I use my Garmin watch for calories).

Obviously, if you're cycling with a power meter kj expenditure is a pretty good estimate of calories burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I used to run 10kms a day (from when I was a schoolkid) up to about 9 years ago but my knees and ankles started getting sore. A long time cycling friend introduced me to road cycling and we had a Obi Wan/Anakin kind of relationship whereby he taught me the ways of the force aka road cycling. Well just like Obi Wan and Anakin, this relationship has since changed whereby he only manages the occasional spin now and when we do get out together on the bikes, he's huffing and puffing doing 25kph whereas I'm hardly even working up a sweat as I normally average 35kph, so as I like to say to him, "I am now the Master"....to which he replies "only a master of evil you sh!t":D.

Cycling is a great, low impact aerobic exercise and it has many other benefits such as calming the mind when out in the fresh air admiring the scenery. However it does nothing for the upper body and so I do a weights session to stop me wasting away from the waist up. Working on my core is also a priority as it helps a lot when out on the bike.

However its all about enjoying it. No matter whether you do 10kms or 100kms, whether you can cycle at 40kph or 20kph, do what feels good for you. Just don't neglect your core, do some stretching to keep your muscles supple and lift some weights to keep your upper body in check.

• Advertisement

How do you know?

Absolutely, and I reckon many of the devices err heavily on the 'generous' side. That said, if you you use the same sensor across different exercises, e.g. HRM, the relative effort expended is reasonably good even if the absolute values may not be. I really need to get in the habit of using the HRM more often but rarely bother with it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its better to have good fitness in different areas, a bit weird someone being able to dead lift 150KG but get out of breath running for a bus, or only be cycling fit but have no particular upper body strength. From a cycling perspective if you have good core and upper body strength it must make rides and recovery more pleasant in relation to back, arms and grip etc.
    What I found great was combining endurance cycling with interval training on the Concept 2 rower as its a more reasonable way to train max effort short bursts, plus doing typical gym work. You would also tend to have a better level of base fitness through the winter

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm very heart healthy from cycling and have realtively good endurance, but couldn't run to save my life anymore and would seize up if asked to kick a ball I'd say. And this is all the worse considering I played football, hurling and soccer for 10 years for clubs and school and probably ended up playing 2 matches at the weekend after 5-6 hours training, which would be a lot more than most at the time. Only knew a handful who played more than 1 sport.

I was the one who packed it in soonest though, at 22. 5 years of fattening later I got a bike and would say I'm fitter now than I ever was playing football, just a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well I’ve ran several marathons with minimal run training. Fitness is solely from commuting. I’m also over 100kg so not built from marathons.

So yes agree with the thread title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

i cycle and run(average distances only) and i can tell you, it's the running that keeps me fitter.
    But the cycling keeps the knees healthy as my physio told me after i had all sorts of issues, after some cycling the knee problems disappeared as my knees got stronger,
    like most things a bit of everything is probably best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The bike computer/watch/fitness trackers have a vested in interest in maximising the calorie expenditure they report to the average user.

My rule of thumb from cycling-specific training programs was 350-450 calories per hour from cycling (cruising <> pushing it) for a cyclist within normal weight tolerances.

Heavier cyclists get more (initial) benefit from any type of activity but as the weight drops and the BMR lowers, the calorie benefit from exercise also drops.

650 kcals for 45 mins not-balls-out-FTP test-work on the bike sounds a bit optimistic. Running at threshold for an hour gives more calorie benefit, but is also much harder on the body.

A great way to keep the overall body in shape, including upper torso to match cycling fitness is to drop in a couple of decent swim sessions per week. Absolutely brilliant for neck, shoulders, chest, traps, and lower back.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I think the more accurate assessment is - Cycling is an efficient fat burner.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The bike computer/watch/fitness trackers have a vested in interest in maximising the calorie expenditure they report to the average user.
    i've often noted that if i put my activity into a fairly dumb online calculator (1 hour at 22mph sort of detail), they give an estimate about double what strava would. you can guess which i'd consider closer to the truth.

I tend to injury myself running, because aerobically I could (and have) go out an run 15-20km no bother. I'd be crippled for days after. But not as bad as when I've dropped into 5 a sides - I used to play a couple of times a week, but cycling and running are linear as opposed to all the turning in football.

Anyway, I wouldn't argue it isn't better to be doing strength or core training too for overall health. But fitting in 30 minutes of body weight exercises a week is so much harder to fit in than a 4+ hour cycle :D

In fairness to myself, I did go to an S&C class for a good while a couple of times a week pre-covid. And previously did Pilates and Yoga. I'm pretty disciplined around cycle training (and diet (on weekdays at least)), but that type of thing is something I seem to need a class.
    dahat wrote: »
    Did press ups at home on Monday & only managed a pathetic 8, i was hugely embarrassed given my exceptional aerobic fitness.
    The family are watching operation transformation (don't get me started on it as a concept for sustainable weight loss) - I'm resisting doing the minimum fitness test as it expects 12 press ups for my age...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

It's a fairly broad statement. We could get into health related components of fitness vs performance related components of fitness, requirements of types of fitness for a sporting application, or just what do people mean by 'fit'.

But in general, yes, cycling is good for 'fitness'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

I remember doing a circuit training class with one of the lads from the club. He was a savage cyclist, very quick on the climbs, had raced the RAS etc. so expectations were high. Unfortunately he couldn't squat or lift anything over his head at all, his posture in the squat was actually upsetting to watch.

So cycling will increase your cardio respiratory fitness, however if that's all you do it will lead to a decrease in flexibility, mobility, muscle mass etc all important elements of "fitness"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

TooObvious wrote: »
    I remember doing a circuit training class with one of the lads from the club. He was a savage cyclist, very quick on the climbs, had raced the RAS etc. so expectations were high. Unfortunately he couldn't squat or lift anything over his head at all, his posture in the squat was actually upsetting to watch.

So cycling will increase your cardio respiratory fitness, however if that's all you do it will lead to a decrease in flexibility, mobility, muscle mass etc all important elements of "fitness"

This is part of the reason McGregor doesn't actually use that FiftyOne bike he has and cycles a mountain bike, the belief is that road biking has a negative effect on posture and flexibility.

I advised a pro fighter recently on a bike (not all fighters have big bucks and he was bargain hunting!), he wouldn't even consider a road bike. These guys would speak to Doc Dalby on the regular too so not just based on hearsay

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I got a free watch with my huawei p30 pro. Absolutely amazing watch with GPS. When you turn on the tracker for outdoor cycling, it measures loads of statistics and even plays a video with background music of your journey/route. It vibrates when you are cycling too hard also reminding you to recover for a few seconds. Huawei gt 2e. It has a Sleep tracker, it tracks martial arts, swimming etc, it's waterproof etc. Battery lasts 2 weeks, comes with a wireless charging doc. I think to buy is only about €120 new and now I don't need to buy an expensive cycling computer. Not bad for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Macy0161 wrote: »

Buy some resistance cords and tone up your arms with them. €15 in declathon. Push ups, chins ups etc. You don't need expensive training equipment. Unless it's a bike of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I cycled about 200km/week exclusively up to about 2 years ago. Then I started a man's Pilates class about twice a week. The difference was negligible at first but now I can feel my core powering me up hills, if that makes any sense. Highly recommended !

ps. The all man's is now all woman's plus me... c'est la vie..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

gaffmaster wrote: »
    I think the more accurate assessment is - Cycling is an efficient fat burner.

There's no such thing as a fat burner. Liposuction maybe is all.

There's no such thing as a fat burner. Liposuction maybe is all.

There was a fair bit of talk on here a couple of years back on lipolysis, where the idea was that moderate paced endurance cycling for long periods was an effective way of burning fat as a form of energy. Lot of discussion on fasted cycling too from memory. I'll see if I can dig out the thread.

Edit, this one; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98213812

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Bigjimdawg

Higher intensity exercise is fueled primarily by stored carbohydrates as opposed to fat so technically speaking there is an intensity level that will rely more on fat oxidation to fuel exercise. It's really not all that relevant though as your body will simply store more fat throughout the day to make up for it.

Caloric expenditure is all that really matters when it comes to fat loss and higher intensity activities expend more calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The standard way,

Average number of cakes and biscuits eaten per hour x avg calorie per cake x time outside on the bike...is that not how everyone does it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Like most activities if you only do that you get conditioned to do that.
    I cycled daily for years and was still really only cycle fit, ask me to run 5k and Id be in a heap, also +1 on the upper body dimension, it doenst serve much purpose during cycling so it will naturally dwindle if you just focus on cycling.

I think rowing is without doubt the best bang for your time spent.

Advertisement