Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommended vegan protein powders?

• 15-01-2021 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

What are some good vegan protein powders? Where do ye buy them and how do ye use it? Could I add to my porridge for example?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

Akesh wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason you think you need protein powder?

You can get enough protein in a vegan diet.

I would avoid protein powder if possible. I worked in research for 3 years for a major protein and supplement producer. You wouldn't believe the amount of crap in non-vegan powder but unfortunately the vegan powder was always the worst due to antibiotics and heavy metals in soil.
    'antibiotics and heavy metals'?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As far as I can see none tested have unsafe levels, do you know of any that do?

OP, really a personal thing, I just uses plain, some use flavoured. You can add it to porridge, smoothues, water, plant milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

As far as I can see none tested have unsafe levels, do you know of any that do?

OP, really a personal thing, I just uses plain, some use flavoured. You can add it to porridge, smoothues, water, plant milk.

Hi TA. What ones do you use, specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I dont bother with them and can bench 100kg and weigh 85kg! Maybe its just me but I think the whole protein powder industry is a bit of a sham.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi TA. What ones do you use, specifically?

Just unflavoured soy/pea/hemp (lower protein) from myprotein.ie or bulkpowders.ie. Soy is best for absorption. You really want to be lifting a lot to need them. More protein (to a certain amount) will just make you grow muscles faster, that's it really. Some people just eat a ton of food focusing on things like legumes/seitan/tofu etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I used the Bulk powders vegan powders when I was weight training a lot. I found them good value. Not sure how shipping and charges will be effected with brexit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Bulk powder delivery to Ireland is pretty much gone wallop so have switched to hpnutrition who seem to ship everything from Ireland. Got this, it isnt bad, 19g per serving

https://www.hpnutrition.ie/Phd-Plant-Protein-500g?search=vegan%20protein

Advertisement