Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers Sly €25 extra charge

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

They have to give you all information, including pupil distance. If they refuse, like my local store did, just submit a request online.

I requested a copy of all my information, including dispensing information. This not only gave me the pupil distance but also the various frame types and sizes they had supplied previously. The response took less than a week. (Maybe some day I will get around to actually using the information.)

Exactly that, only I made the request verbally in the store. 'You have this information on my file, so I would like a copy please'. I had to repeat it twice but I got the full file. They don't make it easy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭MOH

Just more reason to shop online or use services outside the country where possible.

Any good deals on online hairdressers?

MOH wrote: »
    Any good deals on online hairdressers?

I don’t use hairdressers but I’d definitely go for cheaper dental work in the UK if that’s the way it’s going to be.

They all cry to buy Irish but we were shafted by years and now they’ll use this excuse to shaft us more.

I had my eyes tested in Specsavers Liffey Valley a few weeks ago and I was advised of the €25 charge at the time of booking the appointment and was also told that part of the test and was completely optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I had an eye test in specsavers last month and was offered that €25 euro test. I wasn't pressured into it and could have declined it.

I was left on my own then to try any glasses I wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

I find Specsavers good to deal with. Yes, they go through the different offers etc, but if you’re not adult enough to say no thanks to items you don’t want, then perhaps you’re not adult enough to be shopping by your self. I go to the one on Dawson Street, they’re pretty decent in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I find Specsavers good to deal with. Yes, they go through the different offers etc, but if you’re not adult enough to say no thanks to items you don’t want, then perhaps you’re not adult enough to be shopping by your self. I go to the one on Dawson Street, they’re pretty decent in there.

They are all franchise operations, so different stores will have different levels of hard sell.

I used the branch in Donegal town about 18 months ago and the service was exemplary, but herself used one in Newbridge and the hard sell was all guns blazing and that was just reading glasses.

So it will be down to how different franchisees operate, but the profit on the extras is immense and as such the sales patter is in many cases ott

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭rock22

She was a lucky woman. Because of that, she was able to pay her mortgage (which is in special arrangements)

Gotta prioritise.

Yes, as s8n said, lucky woman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭daheff

Well, in fairness, it is an extra cost, they did not use PPE pre-covid

and is the actual cost of the PPE 25 EUR per customer? I'd imagine its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Look, you are a consumer and can choose to go elsewhere.

Their equipment does not clean itself. PPE is not free. They cannot process as many customers a day, and so income is down and costs are up.
    Is the extra cost as much as 25 euro - i don't know. In fact it would be impossible for a customer to quantify the cost.

So if you can find a better price elsewhere, tell them so. And if they dont match the price, go elsewhere.

I personally have used vision express last 2 times i went for glasses prescription. But bought my glasses in specsavers. You can go where you choose.

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    Had two pairs of specs delivered from glassesdirect for £64

1 x timberland
    1 x hackett

The timberland ones are €189 on specsavers. Even at two for one, the saving was over €100
    how do you get the right size and fit online?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Went in looking for eye test should be free for Prsi,, But got charges as they said approval had not come. I said i only need prescription as my employer needs it for safety glasses .I had every member of staff try and upsell me .This happened twice in different stores . I used it to buy online and happy .
    My have also had a bad experience with an independent who had been trained by Specsavers charged 610 euro for a pair of glasses most expensive i ever bought and the worst . they lasted a month .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

SoulWriter wrote: »
    how do you get the right size and fit online?

You measure your existing glasses, basically.

L1011 wrote: »
    You measure your existing glasses, basically.
    OK thank you.

Anyone bought from espyandiris.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

11wingnut wrote: »
    Went in looking for eye test should be free for Prsi,, But got charges as they said approval had not come. I said i only need prescription as my employer needs it for safety glasses .I had every member of staff try and upsell me .This happened twice in different stores . I used it to buy online and happy .
    My have also had a bad experience with an independent who had been trained by Specsavers charged 610 euro for a pair of glasses most expensive i ever bought and the worst . they lasted a month .

Any optician will have to charge if your PRSI approval hasn't come through.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The €25 charge is for an OCT scan which isn't part of the free PRSI/medical card exam. It has absolutely nothing to do with covid.

It's good to shop around. Vision Express, for example, charges €10 for the same test.

Also, if you have private health insurance, don't forget to submit the receipt as you'll get a portion back (subject to any applicable excess).

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

My mother was offered the optional €25 OCT scan and agreed to it. They then refused to sell her any glasses because the scan showed up something that new glasses wouldn't help with. They sent a full report to the mater hospital where she was given an appointment within a week. €25 well spent in her opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

That link you posted is for the UK site.

The link to the Irish site is HERE:

They also state the following:

"NOTICE:

If you would like to request a copy of your prescription or change your contact details, please contact your local store."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭beachhead

If you have an existing pair of glasses there should be 3 numbers visible on them-on the arm(the part that hangs on your ear.1st no is lens size-diagonal measurement,2nd no is distance between each lens-for your nose and 3rd no is the length of the arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The link I posted was valid for Ireland at that time and I used it to get full details of my Irish prescription. The corresponding page for Ireland no longer contains the online form, though it is still referred to in the privacy policy for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

The thing is with specsavers though, they give you 100 days to change your mind when buying a pair of glasses. suppose that is added to the high cost

Is the 100 day warranty a change your mind or does there have to be something wrong with them. Can you just say don't like them and get a different pair, or does there need to be a problem with the fit etc?

find something wrong with them-not suiting you,wrong fit,frame too heavy,causing headache etc personally I wouldn't say just a change of mind

Will be returning to them soon for a new prescription and looking for a credit.Got 2 "bottle" lenses on my fairly low rated vision i.e. I'm not visually impaired to any great degree.Another optician laughed when he took them out - asked me in what century I bought them.The Specsavers lenses got scratched because so bulbous.He showed me a chart illustrating the various lens thicknesses available.I could pick the thickness I wanted.Specsavers never offered a choice.I wil be repeating that optician's comments to Specsavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's very unusual they didn't offer you a choice... usually they push that because thinner lenses are more expensive.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Told them I wanted slimmer lenses. Didn't get a credit and slimmer lenses costs e110. Last time using them. Next pair will be done overseas for e45 approx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

They have been spamming my phone and emails about getting an eye test. I literally got one two years ago. Think I'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

2 years is the usual interval at which opticians send reminders about eyesight tests.

Yes,2 years is the recommended interval between eye tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭uli84

At least they told you, i was just charged at the end thinkin i am on a ‘free’ eye test

Advertisement