Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OnePlus 7 Discussion

Comments

Where are you seeing an S10+ for £776 on Amazon? Still coming up as £899 for me.

It's £772 from a 3rd party seller but you can also get it for ~£780 from Amazon Italy themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

54&56 wrote: »
    I seriously don't get this.

I'd much prefer to have a tiny tear drop at the top of the screen for the selfie camera to facilitate face recognition 50+ times a day than a mechanical pop up screen which effectively does away with the option to have facial recognition.

What user experience is being enhanced by not having facial recognition?

I certainly don't want facial recognition over a fingerprint scanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

I think most people find facial recognition gimmicky and would just use the fingerprint scanner. I think most people would instead say, "why would you put a hole in your screen just to unlock your phone when that can be done in many other ways?"

I definitely don't and use it almost all the time, particularly one handed.

Lift up phone or take phone out of pocket, look at it and "pop" it's unlocked and I can see notifications etc. No second hand required to enter a PIN, Pattern or Fingerprint.

I still don't get how a single action one handed unlock is somehow inferior to a two handed double action lock unless you are paranoid about the marginal security fingerprint access provides Vs facial recognition.

I don't even have that level security to access my house!!

Anyway. Don't want to derail the thread.

OP7 - Meh for me overall.

Might wait until there is a 7 Pro T or future variant which reverts to a built in facial recognition camera of some sort (behind screen like the fingerprint scanner?) and there are improvements in battery performance.

I definitely don't and use it almost all the time, particularly one handed.

Lift up phone or take phone out of pocket, look at it and "pop" it's unlocked and I can see notifications etc. No second hand required to enter a PIN, Pattern or Fingerprint.

I still don't get how a single action one handed unlock is somehow inferior to a two handed double action lock unless you are paranoid about the marginal security fingerprint access provides Vs facial recognition.

You don't use two hands to unlock with your fingerprint/pin/pattern, that would look silly. You can also unlock it without lifting up your phone. I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

You don't use two hands to unlock with your fingerprint/pin/pattern, that would look silly. You can also unlock it without lifting up your phone. I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

My reference point was one handed out of a pocket or whatever. Perhaps I don't have the dexterity of you and others and don't mind looking silly but I always found holding the phone whilst trying to enter a PIN/Pattern/Fingerprint to be tricky and prone to dropping of the phone hence I'd end up holding with one hand and unlocking with the other.

Flat on a desk/table isn't a problem.

• Advertisement

My reference point was one handed out of a pocket or whatever. Perhaps I don't have the dexterity of you and others and don't mind looking silly but I always found holding the phone whilst trying to enter a PIN/Pattern/Fingerprint to be tricky and prone to dropping of the phone hence I'd end up holding with one hand and unlocking with the other.

You are definitely in the severe minority, I've never known anyone to have that problem. If you're having difficulty reaching the middle of the phone with your thumb one-handed to unlock the phone, let alone the side, the phone's definitely too big for you.

If you have the dexterity to lift the phone from your pocket towards your face without dropping it then you certainly have the dexterity to place your thumb in the middle of the phone without dropping it. How can you take the phone out of your pocket without your thumb naturally positioned to access the middle of the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I use face unlock all the time and find it much easier.

Everyone has their own preferences but since the day I got it, never use anything else.

I thought it went on sale today? I was going to get one to replace the Mrs' Pixel and all I'm getting is "available in 6 days" on every model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I thought it went on sale today? I was going to get one to replace the Mrs' Pixel and all I'm getting is "available in 6 days" on every model.

Went on limited pre-order at 10am.
    It probably sold out quick enough, I'd imagine :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Went on limited pre-order at 10am.
    It probably sold out quick enough, I'd imagine :)

Ah, cheers. So next Tuesday is the proper release then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 eddieb88

Has anyone tried the trade in program

Ah, cheers. So next Tuesday is the proper release then?

Yeah, that's pretty much it, as far as I know.
    Unless you can make it to the popup sales event in London tomorrow!

https://www.oneplus.com/ie/7pro/popups

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

eddieb88 wrote: »

You'd be better off selling privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭PaulieC

eddieb88 wrote: »

I have an immaculate OP6 8/128GB and was offered 190 euros trade in. No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

PaulieC wrote: »

I was offered the same for my pristine 7 month old op6 6/64gb. Don't think I'll bite - there's nothing significant enough in the 7 to justify spending another €359, and the 7pro is too bloody big. I've arthritis in my thumbs just trying to cover the 6 screen one-handed. I'll wait to see what the 7T or 8 brings...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭droidman123

PaulieC wrote: »

Have you got a link to that please,only oneplus trade in sites are either usa or uk

Lads, try CEX for better trade-in prices, if there's one near you!

https://ie.webuy.com/

At a glance they are offering 279 for the 6 8/128 and 259 for the 6 6/64 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Just back from picking mine up from John Lewis. It's class so far, coming from the Oneplus Two there is already a noticeable difference in the size of the phone, screen quality and speed of the phone. Delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭enryb12

dan786 wrote: »

For an 40 quid you can get the 8GB ram and 256GB storage model from the OP website.

Having said that, some people prefer purchasing directly from stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭enryb12

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Just back from picking mine up from John Lewis. It's class so far, coming from the Oneplus Two there is already a noticeable difference in the size of the phone, screen quality and speed of the phone. Delighted :D

What do you think of the pop up selfie camera? Do you think it looks/feels gimmicky or anything? That's the only thing putting me off at the moment!

I have the 3T now and I love it still!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

enryb12 wrote: »
    What do you think of the pop up selfie camera? Do you think it looks/feels gimmicky or anything? That's the only thing putting me off at the moment!

I have the 3T now and I love it still!

TBH I had completely forgotten about that until I read this haha. It seems cool, press the switch camera button and it pops up, makes a cool sound. If you drop the phone at all it pops straight back in. I just tested it there, comes up with a notification saying free fall detected & would you like the camera to come back out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Should have mine today (8/256GB). Come onnnnnnnn DHL.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Should have mine today (8/256GB). Come onnnnnnnn DHL.....

Just recieved mine (12gb version) . Haven't done anything yet but put it on charge

Nolimits wrote: »
    Just recieved mine (12gb version) . Haven't done anything yet but put it on charge

I do not like you.....

I do not like you.....

You don't even know me 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You don't even know me ��

He knows you've a OnePlus 7.

blade1 wrote: »
    He knows you've a OnePlus 7.

That doesn't feel like it's enough to judge me as a person, it's not like I have an iPhone or anything

OK. Got it..... Jesus. That's a LOT of screen (My previous phone a Samsung S8 and an iPhone6 for work)

• Advertisement

That doesn't feel like it's enough to judge me as a person, it's not like I have an iPhone or anything

I have an iPhone.... But... but it's for work. I swear. It means nothing to me.....

Advertisement