Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speeding Q&A superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Acey10 wrote: »
    Hi all, I got my first speeding ticket today, the garda told me to expect the fine in the post but im just wondering about points, is it a standard 3 penalty points? And will my insurance remium increase much? thanks

3 points if paid, 5 if you go to court. My insurance went up by about €70 on a c.500 quid premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Aston martin

3 points if paid, 5 if you go to court. My insurance went up by about €70 on a c.500 quid premium.

You are entitled to see the evidence, you should ask to see it ...

Should make no difference on your insurance 3 points
    If you have 4 or 5 it will increase your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

You are entitled to see the evidence, you should ask to see it ...

Should make no difference on your insurance 3 points
    If you have 4 or 5 it will increase your insurance.

If he wants to see evidence or believes they're innocent then they take there chances in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The evidence was a photo of my hairdresser-mobile doing 58 in Fairview overtaking the wanker who had just tried to cut across me at the bottom of the Howth Road because very few people on that junction seem to understand lanes. Seems he got the last laugh. Defo ended up with a loading with just three points. Possibly should have shopped around better.

Didn't feel too hard done by, had got pulled on the M50 a few nights before for doing '150' according to the Guard. No fecking way the car would have sold for 150 let alone do 150 but was just given a warning so didn't argue.

Killinator wrote: »
    If he wants to see evidence or believes they're innocent then they take there chances in court.

You are entitled in Ireland to see all evidence it’s only a phone call to Garda’s the number is on the fine

it should come out in 3 to 4 days
    You can then decide if you want to pay or go to court

• Advertisement

You are entitled in Ireland to see all evidence it’s only a phone call to Garda’s the number is on the fine

it should come out in 3 to 4 days
    You can then decide if you want to pay or go to court

The Garda's name or number are not on the fine sent in post. You'd have to call the station to find out via the fcn number.

You are entitled to see the evidence but not necessarily before court. If he goes not guilty on first date then his solicitor can apply for a full disclosure order which will include all and any evidence in relation to the incident.

If he's guilty he accepts it and pays the fine. If he's innocent they don't pay and get summons to court, then the gardai will provide evidence necessary.

I think you are entitled to the all evidence before the any case that might be against you or for you, you may need a solicitor or do yourself by registered letter write to the garda office from were the fine comes from, if they don't send evidence before the case , mentioned to the judge that you are entitled to all evidence and you were not given it to defend yourself, he might dismiss case

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I believe I was caught doing 132km in a 120km almost 3 weeks ago (Friday 9th October). Is there any delay in being set out the fine/points with Covid at the minute? Hoping as it's 3 weeks ago I may have got away with it.

5 weeks ago since I was believe I caught and still nothing. Hoping I got away with it now, otherwise it wasn't a speed van at all and I must have been seeing things.

I think you are entitled to the all evidence before the any case that might be against you or for you, you may need a solicitor or do yourself by registered letter write to the garda office from were the fine comes from, if they don't send evidence before the case , mentioned to the judge that you are entitled to all evidence and you were not given it to defend yourself, he might dismiss case

He won't dismiss the case!
    You get your FCN.
    You either accept you were speeding and pay or you do not accept and you let it run to summons.
    You get a court date.
    On first court date you will be asked if you are guilty or not
    If you say guilty you'll pay the elevated fine and get the extra points.
    If you go innocent you will get a date for hearing.
    At this point the solicitor can make an application for disclosure which will be all evidence to be used in the upcoming hearing, which for most hearings consists of a Garda statement as there's so little to it.
    There won't be a photo (unless it's the new speed gun and even then it's not a requirement and it is not a requirement to prove the speed gun was calibrated)
    Rightly or wrongly it is generally considered good enough evidence for a Garda to submit evidence that he observed so and so speeding at whatever speed on such and such date in such and such location.

That's how it works. There's generally no other evidence to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Anyone know how quickly do sent out fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Whocare wrote: »

Usually within 2 weeks.

You much over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭omeara1113

Within 2 weeks usually

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ferg01

Usually within 2 weeks.

You much over?

Confidentially I had the same question. I was 5-10 kph over in a 120kph zone. I am assuming I won’t see a letter?

ferg01 wrote: »
    Confidentially I had the same question. I was 5-10 kph over in a 120kph zone. I am assuming I won’t see a letter?

Highly unlikely, I have past many at 10Km/h and slightly more over the limit and nothing has ever come.

Everyone has heard the stories of a few kn over but in majority of cases there seems to be some leniency.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ferg01

Highly unlikely, I have past many at 10Km/h and slightly more over the limit and nothing has ever come.

Everyone has heard the stories of a few kn over but in majority of cases there seems to be some leniency.

Yeah I figured as much. Will keep you posted if I get an unwelcome surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

should be mind also that some of those people might be inexact with the facts to, presumably, sway opinion in their favour.

Usually within 2 weeks.

You much over?

About 14 km by gps had no number plate on trailer so hopefully I get away with it (small enough trailer so kinda still see car plate depending on view

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

About 14 km by gps had no number plate on trailer so hopefully I get away with it (small enough trailer so kinda still see car plate depending on view

Was the Van facing the other direction so? Did you not see the Van?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newmember2

After getting done 59 in a 50 I've revised my internal leeway theory to 10%...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You missed the van with 2 foot cameras on the side of it on the opposite side of the road ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Van simply records the speed of every vehicle going by. This is then transferred to Thurles traffic hq and reviewed by a Garda who issues the tickets to those speeding over the limit.

There is obviously some leeway which seems to vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I think it's a 10% rule.

However, some issues here. You were towing so a lower speed limit applies.

Also, whats the deal on no reg plate on the trailer?

Better you slow down and follow the rules then you need not worry about fines.

Truckermal wrote: »
    Was the Van facing the other direction so? Did you not see the Van?

Yeah van was facing other direction. Yeah only seen van went look in mirrors .was on phone and it was still dark at time van was kinda hidden too

Yeah van was facing other direction. Yeah only seen van went look in mirrors .was on phone and it was still dark at time van was kinda hidden too

Once again I have heard "that they get you both ways" - but in my experience it has never been the case.

And i have properly sped passed vans on the other side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Standard enough stuff here.

Passed a guard with a handheld camera while over the speed limit (~135km/h) on the M6 last friday. He didn't pursue me nor was I pulled in. Was wondering how long it takes for the speed fine to come in the post and is the fine set to the speed I was caught at?

Everyone I ask seems to have a different story about asking about is the camera calibrated and was the guard wearing his hat and that usual nonsense.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Standard enough stuff here.

Passed a guard with a handheld camera while over the speed limit (~135km/h) on the M6 last friday. He didn't pursue me nor was I pulled in. Was wondering how long it takes for the speed fine to come in the post and is the fine set to the speed I was caught at?

Everyone I ask seems to have a different story about asking about is the camera calibrated and was the guard wearing his hat and that usual nonsense.

If a fine is to be issued the Garda has 107 days to apply for it before it's too late. So essentially 3 months to apply for a FCN.

Bare in mind your speedo says 136km buy could be out by up to 10%. In such case you'd of been tagged doing 122/123km which would mean (in my experience) most Gardai wouldn't bother issuing a ticket. Spedvans would be different ànd generally issue tickets pretty quickly as they don't generally use discretion but are more black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

If a fine is to be issued the Garda has 107 days to apply for it before it's too late. So essentially 3 months to apply for a FCN.

Bare in mind your speedo says 136km buy could be out by up to 10%. In such case you'd of been tagged doing 122/123km which would mean (in my experience) most Gardai wouldn't bother issuing a ticket. Spedvans would be different ànd generally issue tickets pretty quickly as they don't generally use discretion but are more black and white.

By the same ticket I could have been tagged doing 10% over around 150Km/hr?

Schwiiing wrote: »
    By the same ticket I could have been tagged doing 10% over around 150Km/hr?

No, generally speedos read over, never heard of one reading under.
    Manufacturers could not afford to let cars out that were travelling faster than indicated. Would be non stop law suits. However a car travelling slightly slower than indicated is not an issue.

No with that said, it's not always 10%, could be as low as 1% or even spot on right.

It's not an exact science but next time you go by a digital radar sign at a 60/50 zone take a look at your speedo and it'll almost certainly be reading faster than the road sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No, generally speedos read over, never heard of one reading under.
    Manufacturers could not afford to let cars out that were travelling faster than indicated. Would be non stop law suits. However a car travelling slightly slower than indicated is not an issue.

No with that said, it's not always 10%, could be as low as 1% or even spot on right.

It's not an exact science but next time you go by a digital radar sign at a 60/50 zone take a look at your speedo and it'll almost certainly be reading faster than the road sign

I find mine is more or less accurate at lower speeds but even at upper motorway speed it's only over by 4km/h

I'd say he was doing about 130 -132. Not generally fast enough to get them chasing you down, and as far as I know they still need to pull you in with a handheld if they want to ticket you (although the new guns can take pictures, they're still on test - but one of the more in the know posters may confirm)

Advertisement