Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chromecast Apps Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is there a way to prevent it updating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Is there a way to prevent it updating?

I think by rooting, but the new f/w patched the root exploit, so I don't know.

I do know that my CC would not update via the hacked router, to allow Smart DNS, and I could not cast to it until I reverted the router to normal, i.e. no static routes for google DNS, 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

It updated straight away once I reconnected after return to normal.

I then reverted to my Smart DNS, and all was OK.....

except Netflix Android update via my provider SmartyDNS, [the old/previous Netflix still works!!!]

It is a problem with Smarty, coz I tried with a different provider, and AOK.

So, they are gettin the bums rush asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

How did you change the DNS settings on your Chromecast without Root??

Ste05 wrote: »

You can't , you have to change the settings on your router instead.

Ste05 wrote: »

Why router do you have?

You need static routes set up, or a DD-WRT enabled router.....

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

I did a pictorial guide for the old eircom netopia somewhere here, I'll dig out a link if you need it, the process is easy.

• Advertisement

My chromecast updated today and since it has it's not working at all. It takes quite a bit of time to connect to my wireless network but once it does my phone cannot find it to cast anything to it. Everything from all cast,chromecast app and other apps we don't mention here cannot find it.

Anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

My chromecast updated today and since it has it's not working at all. It takes quite a bit of time to connect to my wireless network but once it does my phone cannot find it to cast anything to it. Everything from all cast,chromecast app and other apps we don't mention here cannot find it.

Anyone have any advice?

The most obvious thing to do would be to factory reset it. But don't be tempted because you could possibly end up with a paperweight (Not a good one at that).

Maybe try reconfiguring the network settings on the device.

Hopefully Google is working on another update to fix the bugs in this one.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

corkie wrote: »
    The most obvious thing to do would be to factory reset it. But don't be tempted because you could possibly end up with a paperweight (Not a good one at that).

Maybe try reconfiguring the network settings on the device.

Hopefully Google is working on another update to fix the bugs in this one.

Thanks Corkie.
    That's so disappointing! Mine is now completely useless but thankfully I resisted the reset. Google better get a move on with that update.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Why router do you have?

You need static routes set up, or a DD-WRT enabled router.....

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

I did a pictorial guide for the old eircom netopia somewhere here, I'll dig out a link if you need it, the process is easy.
    Unfortunately, I have one of the Sky BroadBand routers and AFAIK you can't update the DNS on them, or certainly I wasn't able to find a simple way to do it last time I checked. :(

Anyone have any advice?

Answering my own Q just in case this happens to anyone else.

I read that pulling the usb cable out for a few mins and then putting it back in can fix this problem and so far it seems to have worked for me, mine is again connecting to wifi and my phone can find it and cast to it.

• Advertisement

Answering my own Q just in case this happens to anyone else.

I read that pulling the usb cable out for a few mins and then putting it back in can fix this problem and so far it seems to have worked for me, mine is again connecting to wifi and my phone can find it and cast to it.

Good to hear the old solutions still work!!!

When I worked for eircom, the first solution we tried was always jiojii.....[jack it out jack it in]

fixed a lotta stuff, and meant you could have an early lunch, maybe even a pint......:p

back in the day, its amazing just how many liquid lunches were consumed :o

Found out about this method on another forum

If you have windows PC, enable home sharing in network settings and windows media player

By doing the above you can then use apps (avia, allcast or localhost) to cast to your PC.

Regards
    John

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Found out about this method on another forum

By doing the above you can then use apps (avia, allcast or localhost) to cast to your PC.

Regards
    John

corkiejp?? John Paul.....?? 1979??

I mentioned SMB and Networking from NAS/PC here, using Localcast....

http://www.touch.boards.ie/thread/2057267396/7/#post92004413
    I would recommend Local Cast for local media now, no need for Plex for most stuff.

For CC supported fiile formats, or use handbrake s/w to convert.

EDIT: for clarity.....shares from Laptop/PC/NAS via smb [Windows sharing settings] or dlna [local media server needed].

https://play.google.co...tefanpledl.localcast

So, you can cast to a PC/Laptop without Allcast receiver by utilising SMB??

corkiejp?? John Paul.....?? 1979??

I mentioned SMB and Networking from NAS/PC here, using Localcast....

http://www.touch.boards.ie/thread/2057267396/7/#post92004413

Sorry, I never consider using local media casting from windows to other devices before.

Your link above is broken, but from your quoted text, it would not reveal to people that you could cast to windows media player.

I did more searches to find what else I could do with the WMP and DLNA and found this link.

Which led to me to getting the app BubbleUpnP (has chromecast support) and the corresponding BubbleUPnP Server for windows.

I paid €3.49 for the BubbleUPnP license which gives me transcoding of videos while casting.

My windows media player is busy scanning my 1TB external hard drive to include my videos and music in the libraries, so I can access/cast them from my android devices.

The above is much easier than trying to setup a plex server which for some reason would not work for me when I tried.

Sorry, I never consider using local media casting from windows to other devices before.

Your link above is broken, but from your quoted text, it would not reveal to people that you could cast to windows media player.

I did more searches to find what else I could do with the WMP and DLNA and found this link.

Which led to me to getting the app BubbleUpnP (has chromecast support) and the corresponding BubbleUPnP Server for windows.

I paid €3.49 for the BubbleUPnP license which gives me transcoding of videos while casting.

My windows media player is busy scanning my 1TB external hard drive to include my videos and music in the libraries, so I can access/cast them from my android devices.

The above is much easier than trying to setup a plex server which for some reason would not work for me when I tried.

Thanks corkie, that works perfectly on my laptop, via WMP, casting with Localcast, Allcast and Bubble. I haven't tried the Bubble server, as vids play OK.

It is a good alternative to watch certain stuff from an unmentionable source on a PC/Laptop!!!

Thanks corkie, that works perfectly on my laptop, via WMP, casting with Localcast, Allcast and Bubble. I haven't tried the Bubble server, as vids play OK.

It is a good alternative to watch certain stuff from an unmentionable source on a PC/Laptop!!!

Your welcome!

Just to clarify you only need the server and license to transcode videos on the fly.

It's the first app that I have found that can transcode .ts videos successfully. (From my saorview box.)

The BubbleUPnP app has use's beyond just chrome casting. For example it allows me to browse/play content on my Nexus 7(2012) from my media stored on my PC.

Edit: Additional benefit by running BubbleUPnP on two android devices. You can play content from the other device.

For example Nexus 7(2012) with limited storage can play content from the sdcard in my xperia z1.

Your welcome!

Just to clarify you only need the server and license to transcode videos on the fly.

It's the first app that I have found that can transcode .ts videos successfully. (From my saorview box.)

The BubbleUPnP app has use's beyond just chrome casting. For example it allows me to browse/play content on my Nexus 7(2012) from my media stored on my PC.

yeah, bubble is great....another use I found:

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp

Audio cast...it's an Xposed Module....and it is so simple.

Simply install and activate the module on your rooted Android device.

Then it integrates with Bubble, as an Audio Cast button for any renderer in your Nework which is DNLA enabled, like a Smart TV, ChromeCast TV, or an Internet Radio (I got this one recently....fantastic.

So, on your Android, Start Spotify, or Pandora (yeah, in Ireland!!!), on Bubble select the renderer you want to cast to, TV or Radio, and it sends your Playlist to that device...

like so:

So, you need the paid version to get more than 20 minutes play.

It just works....brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Question about Localcast for those who use it.

From my phone works fine - keeps the screen on and even if I lock my phone it still continues play back via the chromecast.
    Using the exact same app from my tablet and it doesn't keep the screen from locking - but as soon as the screen locks the playback pauses. Meaning I have to use the phone....

Any ideas on why the tablet is doing this and not the phone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

MBSnr wrote: »
    Question about Localcast for those who use it.

From my phone works fine - keeps the screen on and even if I lock my phone it still continues play back via the chromecast.
    Using the exact same app from my tablet and it doesn't keep the screen from locking - but as soon as the screen locks the playback pauses. Meaning I have to use the phone....

Any ideas on why the tablet is doing this and not the phone?

Some tablets are probably supported well enough..some not.
    Send some feedback to app developer, what tablet/ what os etc

Probably nothing to do with the OP, but the dev of Localcast has had his access to Google Drive suspended....

this is where he stores the API for his two Apps, including Local Cast :(

See G+ announcement and info here:

https://plus.google.com/109720416927515295704/posts
    radApps - Stefan Pledl
    Shared publicly - 18 Sep 2014

LocalCast, Beat:

my Google account (not this one), which I use for development got suspended due to suspicious activity.

That's what I get when I want to log in:

"We've detected unusual activity. For your protection, we've disabled your account."

What does this mean to you:

The only thing that seems to be affected is Google Drive right now. The Google Drive access for all my apps seems to be blocked.

The receiver app for LocalCast still seem to work, but it is stored on Google Cloud Storage and could be affected too in the future. If you get an error message like "receiver app timed out" then it is down.

I'd change the location of the receiver app to something else, but guess what I need to log into the Chromecast Developer Console... So I can't change that.
    radApps - Stefan Pledl
    General Discussion - 19 Sep 2014

I have two apps which access Google Drive:

- Beat (a music player which streams from drive)

- LocalCast (can cast movies from drive to the Chromecast).

Yesterday both api projects got removed from the api console. I can see that they weren't deleted, because I can access the LocalCast project from the billings tab (billing was enabled for the cloud storage, the receiver app is hosted there).

I have no idea why this was done. I got no email.

Is the only way to contact Google about this, paying the 150$ per month for the silver support here https://cloud.google.com/support/ ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 dunnetd

Hi,

Just looking whether to buy chromecast and wanted some advice, I have a Moto G 4G & a LG G PAD so will the phone not work with it due to not yet supported? I presume the LG PAD will work if someone can advise. Presumably if you play media on VLC you can mirror it to your TV?

Thanks

dunnetd wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking whether to buy chromecast and wanted some advice, I have a Moto G 4G & a LG G PAD so will the phone not work with it due to not yet supported? I presume the LG PAD will work if someone can advise. Presumably if you play media on VLC you can mirror it to your TV?

Thanks

Both your device's should be able to use the chromecast, using apps to do so. (Re-read thread for suggested apps, when you get it.)

Screen Mirroring may not work on your devices but can be enable on some rooted KitKat devices (see link in my posts).

Even if you get screen mirroring working, it probably won't be a reliable way to cast media (performance wise). You better off using dedicated apps for casting video/media files.

My favorite app so far has to be BubbleUPnP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I can confirm that screen mirroring won't work on the g pad, not mine anyway.

Must read the last few pages of the thread myself, looks to be a fair bit of info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Quick question: If i am casting via AllCast from an internet streaming app does my phone battery get run down more than it would for Netflix or another app that has chromecast functionality?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

neacy69 wrote: »
    Quick question: If i am casting via AllCast from an internet streaming app does my phone battery get run down more than it would for Netflix or another app that has chromecast functionality?

Not that I have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dunnetd

Hi, where do you recommend the best place to buy the chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dunnetd wrote: »
    Hi, where do you recommend the best place to buy the chromecast?

Got mine in Tesco,39.99.

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/redeem/

Free three month trial of NowTV for chromecast users in the UK. Maybe we can get it to with some messing around? My internet is acting the maggot so I can't check myself tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

If i want to cast a website thats streams a video whats the best app for this?

I tried just casting the tab from chrome and its a little "laggy".......any way around this?

• Advertisement

Delboy5 wrote: »
    If i want to cast a website thats streams a video whats the best app for this?

I tried just casting the tab from chrome and its a little "laggy".......any way around this?

You could use vidcast for html5/mp4 videos. If the videos are flash based then your stuck with Tab Casting.

Advertisement