Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

xxyyzz wrote: »
    A mudhugger is usually the gold standard front mudguard for the depths of an Irish winter. For the rest of the year then something like what Wailin suggested is more than adequate.

Mudhuggers can also be cut down and modified to handle rear triangles too; as inspired by Sam Hills race bike setup. It got covered in a youtube video; either Ben Cathro or GMBN if I recall.

Ben Cathro also did a comparison video with the various mudguard options ranging from none to the type linked above to a mudhugger (or other equivalents such as the new offering by Pete Tompkin - he of Crud catcher fame). The big take away for me at least from the video is just how much of a difference bigger mudguards make in terms of stopping crap getting flicked up into your face & eyes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Peter T wrote: »
    Know anyone with a 3d printer ? If you do they might be able to sort you out
    I just got one, going to put it together next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Anyone know what the story is with buying stuff online from the uk over Christmas and it not getting dispatched until after January 1st. Hoping to buy a shock from tftuned over the next few days, and they will be closed until the 4th of January. Will i be exempt from the new Brexit import duties etc due to ordering it before January.

Anyone know what the story is with buying stuff online from the uk over Christmas and it not getting dispatched until after January 1st. Hoping to buy a shock from tftuned over the next few days, and they will be closed until the 4th of January. Will i be exempt from the new Brexit import duties etc due to ordering it before January.

As far as can tell you will get stung for customs so it will add a fair whack on if it comes in after the 1st January regardless of when its ordered, even if ordered before. You'd be better off waiting for a deal to be struck or ordering elsewhere unless you can collect up north.

CramCycle wrote: »
    As far as can tell you will get stung for customs so it will add a fair whack on if it comes in after the 1st January regardless of when its ordered, even if ordered before. You'd be better off waiting for a deal to be struck or ordering elsewhere unless you can collect up north.

What a mess :rolleyes: getting some vouchers for tftuned for Christmas, won't be worth a damn.

• Advertisement

Turns out parts can't even bought from the eu now ffs

Turns out parts can't even bought from the eu now ffs

The sooner the delivery companies realise that routing through France rather than the UK the better, my latest delivery got to England just as the ports closed :rolleyes: At least it was only my XMAS gifts

Ive a new enduro build underway, was hoping to nearly complete it over xmas with a coil shock and dropper post, turning into an impossible job to even spend money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

What's the story with buying from chain reaction? Are they still based in the north or is everything routed through wiggle in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

xxyyzz wrote: »
    What's the story with buying from chain reaction? Are they still based in the north or is everything routed through wiggle in the uk?

They closed down their NI warehouse last year and kept the store so I'd imagine everything is now routed through England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    They closed down their NI warehouse last year and kept the store so I'd imagine everything is now routed through England.

That situation may reverse itself depending on how Jan/Feb goes with regards to Brexit and N.I. finding itself able to avail of better EU market access than the rest of the UK.

But until/unless it does I would expect slower re-stocks and higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Has anyone gone rigid fork on a modern(ish) bike ? I've been day dreaming for some time about getting a gravel bike but part of me is thinking I could buy a rigid fork and all the other paraphernalia and cobble a 650b gravel machine out of my 2017 sentier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

iwillhtfu wrote: »

It's a pity, the 2 day delivery turnaround was always great with chain reaction when it was coming from the north. I've been using alltricks a lot lately, it's considerably cheaper than chain reaction but delivery is pretty slow. There's a shop in Waterford called Altitude which has a pretty good online store also. I only came across them recently.

What a mess :rolleyes: getting some vouchers for tftuned for Christmas, won't be worth a damn.

I presume more chance of using these now? Let us know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Peter T wrote: »
    Has anyone gone rigid fork on a modern(ish) bike ? I've been day dreaming for some time about getting a gravel bike but part of me is thinking I could buy a rigid fork and all the other paraphernalia and cobble a 650b gravel machine out of my 2017 sentier.

I've had two rigid mountain bikes in the past. One was an On-One Inbred on which I changed out the fork myself, the other was a Cannondale Singlespeed - zero suspension and only one gear - that was hard work but rewarding in some senses.

I have to say for MTB I enjoyed the Cannondale lots, it rewarded smooth riding and with a big tyre, carbon bar, foam grips and a reasonably flexible fork it was actually not too bad in the rough stuff - I should have kept it and added some gears. The inbred was fun as well but not as much.

It looks to me though that you're thinking of converting in the hope of avoiding buying a gravel bike? I wouldn't see the point in that to be honest, just buy a new bike.

I've enough bikes already hence the idea of getting a rigid fork and giving it a go. Obviously buying a gravel bike would do the trick but I cant really justify the spend on something that would only come out every now and again. I've seen some kinesis alloy forks on aliexpress that would do the trick but I'm a bit apprehensive about them really. Other option is a custom fork from marino or the real high end carbon stuff I've no intention of going near

I presume the issue would be geometry, make sure the fork you gets doesn't mess it up too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

The fork I had on the Inbred 456 - a long travel HT - was a steel 29er fork from surly, I kept the wheel the same though, 26 inches, and this seemed to ensure the geometry wasn't out of wack to much.

The kinesis fork I've seen online measures 485mm crown to axel. A bit of googling shows 510mm for my own fork. I'm thinking if you take sag into consideration the two set ups wouldn't be a million miles away from each other. My bb will drop a bit but not enough to be an issue I think

I've done a bit of rough work on CAD seeing how it would work out. Given my little knowledge of geo nothing jumps out at me. HT angle gets a small bit steeper and seat tube also.

Just to update I've received my fork today. Bought a kinesis fork on bike 24, hopefully will have it fitted over the coming week or 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've spent the last couple of my months mulling over whether to buy a carbon hardtail or not. Ideally I wanted a Canyon but the wait time just seems to be getting longer and longer. And then most of the shops around Ireland are out of stock. Anyway, today I pulled a trigger on a Trek Procaliber 9.6. I should get it in the next few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I've spent the last couple of my months mulling over whether to buy a carbon hardtail or not. Ideally I wanted a Canyon but the wait time just seems to be getting longer and longer. And then most of the shops around Ireland are out of stock. Anyway, today I pulled a trigger on a Trek Procaliber 9.6. I should get it in the next few days :)

What sort of riding do you do and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

rizzodun wrote: »
    What sort of riding do you do and where?

I'm primarily a roadie. Derroura in Galway is less than half an hour away so that will be my main trail. I'm lucky in that there is a short trail in a woods right beside my house so that'll be handy for quick spins after work before the evenings get longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Hi All,

Couldn't find a better place to put this without starting a thread, but I'm looking at starting out with MTB (commuted by roadbike until lockdown) I live within 5k of Ticknock Trails so figured I may as well give it a go.

However, would a chicken-sh1t newbie be a nightmare up there? Conscious that in the youtube videos I've watched of the trails there doesn't seem to be overtaking spots so I'd be holding people up by cautiously figuring it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hi All,

Couldn't find a better place to put this without starting a thread, but I'm looking at starting out with MTB (commuted by roadbike until lockdown) I live within 5k of Ticknock Trails so figured I may as well give it a go.

However, would a chicken-sh1t newbie be a nightmare up there? Conscious that in the youtube videos I've watched of the trails there doesn't seem to be overtaking spots so I'd be holding people up by cautiously figuring it out.

You'll be grand there's always someone faster and if someone's creeping up on you pull up off the trail and let them on. Unlikely to happen though as there's usually an ebb and flow to guys on trail.

Get stuck in and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Go for it, you might just surprise yourself in the braveness department, and it sure is a lot of fun, oh warning, it's highly addictive

Cheers guys, now to get my 15 year old MTB sorted! I'm gonna see what lasts longer, my interest, or that bike. If I like it, like most do I'll buy something c.€1k as I can use Bike to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cheers guys, now to get my 15 year old MTB sorted! I'm gonna see what lasts longer, my interest, or that bike. If I like it, like most do I'll buy something c.€1k as I can use Bike to work.

try rent some bikes when you get a chance, i assume none of the rentals are currently open, but i could be wrong, might give you some ideas on what to buy, or what not to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

Biking.ie are open again from this weekend. Not sure if rentals are open or not but drop em a message.

• Advertisement

Cheers yea I might do that. Mental, I was thinking 500-1000 would be a decent entry level price for MTB, nope! May have to up the budget a bit.

Damn GMBN videos are already costing me money!

Advertisement