Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Faulty new car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

firstlight wrote: »
    The french do electrics like the germans do a sence of humour
    Family member had one from new
    Nothing but issues

Bit of a generalisation, there. My trusty Fluence is now ten years old, with 200K+ miles on the clock, and has never let me down.

On the other hand, my previous car was a Nissan Primera, and it broke down on the M7, with only a few 100km on the clock. (In fairness, it was a sensor problem and it never gave any other problem.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Your post further amplifies, though, that surely the dealer would/should also consider it reasonable that the car should be replaced or refunded, if the same issue returns three times in a row, though (unless I'm reading it wrongly?).

I can understand the owner having to settle with some 'give and take' over a minor or trivial issue, but the OP's issue is majorly problematic, is also a safety issue (headlights turning off?!) and he's now lost confidence that the car can be fixed as the same issue has had two attempted repairs, now by an authorised dealer and he is no further on.

Car should be taken back, and OP given a new one, or refunded.

If you were talking about any other product, you'd completely agree. I don't see why a car should be treated differently.

Like i say, we'd need to know the exact nature of the first two visits to confirm that this is the third attempt at a fix.

Even at that, the difference between a faulty TV is the total cost of a TV is €250, handing back a 6 month old car will cost the guts of €10k on a €40k car, it's much higher stakes.

It's more practical and cost effective to replace a white good that costs a couple of hundred euros in total than to entertain a repair but on a product worth tens of thousands, you can't just go dishing our replacements willy nilly.

Like i say, we'd need to know the exact nature of the first two visits to confirm that this is the third attempt at a fix.

Even at that, the difference between a faulty TV is the total cost of a TV is €250, handing back a 6 month old car will cost the guts of €10k on a €40k car, it's much higher stakes.

It's more practical and cost effective to replace a white good that costs a couple of hundred euros in total than to entertain a repair but on a product worth tens of thousands, you can't just go dishing our replacements willy nilly.

Oh I appreciate that there are bigger 'stakes' when it comes to a car VS a washing machine, but the OP also invested in the car. If the dealership lose 10k in depreciation, I am sure they'd be covered by Renault for their loss? Not that the customer should care.

If I'm spending €300 on a washing machine, I expect it to work as it should. If I'm spending 30k on a car, I expect it to work as it should. Whether you're buying off Curry's or Renault, both should have ways of dealing with issues and a protocol of what to do if the issues aren't being addressed correctly, to, at the very least, try to retain a customer, and at the most, try to prevent threads like this appearing about their inability to fix their own products.

Although I'm sure the manager of the local Renault dealership will be adamant that 'one more visit will sort it', there's only so many times a customer can be expected to go around in circles hearing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

fryup wrote: »
    ah come on now, i had citroen c3 for years never once let me down

*and not all germans are dryballs

It was a joke
    Much like boards users
    A sence of humour is like hens teeth
    I had a citreon myself. It was a ball of scrap
    Glad u had a better experience

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... but the OP also invested in the car....
    Almost no one invests in a car. 99.9% of them lose value.

(PS - it's a Peugeot - not a Renault)

• Advertisement

Almost no one invests in a car. 99.9% of them lose value.

(PS - it's a Peugeot - not a Renault)

Putting 30k into something that's set to last 15+ years is an investment. It doesn't matter if it gains or loses value in that time, you've still put the money into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Putting 30k into something that's set to last 15+ years is an investment. It doesn't matter if it gains or loses value in that time, you've still put the money into it.
    You're confusing investment with expenditure. If it was an investment, I'd be expecting a profit at the end.

You're confusing investment with expenditure. If it was an investment, I'd be expecting a profit at the end.

If I invest in your coffee making business, and it loses a fortune, I still invested in it.

Not that it has any relevance to the op, but it's a common saying, regardless of how pedantic you'd like to get about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The nature of the previous visits are irrelevant. It's the symptoms that matter and the OP has had them twice, so the 1st repair wasn't permanent and the next two options are now open to the OP refund/replace.

The complexity of the repair has is to be sorted out between the retailer and the importer/distributor after the OP has been sorted with a new car/refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

I'm sure it is, but it's likley due to a customer just caving in and settling. If I spent any serious money on a car, and had issues like this, I'd be very strong in my response of fix it, and if you don't get it right after two goes, replace or refund.

Whatever about putting up with issues on a car you picked up for €2k, with 7 previous owners and squeaky fan belt, you'd accept issues with that. But if you spent 30k on a brand new car, to avoid all those hassles and heartaches, here's no way would I, personally, be letting up, if it had to go back a third time for the same thing.

I'm sure most dealerships would consider that reasonable, too, surely?

Having successfully rejected a car i can tell you from experience it was one of the most stressful processes of my life.

Cliff Notes:

12 month old car developed serious safety issue that both me and the dealer could not be confident would not happen again and was incredibly dangerous and serious

Me & Dealer
    "I want a new car" ,
    "No,we have to fix it "
    "Can you guarantee it wont happen again and the car is safe for my family"
    "No sorry and i agree i wouldn't leave my family in it either"

Onto Manufacturer
    "I want a new car"
    "No,we have to fix it "
    "Can you guarantee it wont happen again and the car is safe for my family"
    "No sorry and i agree i wouldn't leave my family in it either"
    " I will leave it to my solicitor"
    "Ok so"
    Solicitor " They are ignoring my letters ,i have hired an engineer and he agree's the car isnt safe,due to cost of car we have to get it heard in high court
    and need a barrister and they want the loan car back so you need to hire your own"

Fast forward 2 months of agony and they finally agreed to replace .I paid my solicitor. Could have gone to the high court but wasnt risking 100-200 k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement