Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Billy Holland did the presser so it looks like he'll be starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Yup, he's playing for a contract.

So is Patterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

That's great news. It would be fantastic to get him back at some stage over the Six Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Very nice to hear he's making progress. If he was able to reach full fitness before next pre-season that would be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Stan27

If he comes back, there will be a lot of 10,s in munster !!

Stan27 wrote: »
    If he comes back, there will be a lot of 10,s in munster !!

If Carbery can prove his fitness I think there's a good chance JJ or Scannell (who had acted as 10 cover prior to Covid) will be fighting for the one contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Stan27 wrote: »
    If he comes back, there will be a lot of 10,s in munster!!
    There wont. If he does at least one of the senior guys JJ etc will probably be let go and then of academy options Flannery for example could end up playing more full back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

JJ Hanrahan will be going absolutely nowhere.
    A solid pro who is always fit, has massive 88%+ kicking success and can pull out huge games like Clermont.
    Yes..he can miss kicks that are remembered forever in some quarters... but, he's the man in possession of the jersey..and it could be a long, long road back for Joey...if her ever gets back to full fitness.
    As it stands..we have JJ & BH... anything else is a bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Very sad news about Cara O'Sullivan. May she rest in peace. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40214804.html?type=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

JJ Hanrahan will be going absolutely nowhere.
    A solid pro who is always fit, has massive 88%+ kicking success and can pull out huge games like Clermont.
    Yes..he can miss kicks that are remembered forever in some quarters... but, he's the man in possession of the jersey..and it could be a long, long road back for Joey...if her ever gets back to full fitness.
    As it stands..we have JJ & BH... anything else is a bonus

Reports this morning on OTB that JJ is looking to France

Wouldn’t shock me at all if he leaves, there’s been a lot of clutch kicks that he’s left behind him.

And Joey back training will immediately slot into the starting role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Reports this morning on OTB that JJ is looking to France

Wouldn’t shock me at all if he leaves, there’s been a lot of clutch kicks that he’s left behind him.

And Joey back training will immediately slot into the starting role.

Like all Munster fans, I hope we see Joey back to his very best before the season's end.... but looking at his injury profile, I can't hand on heart say that this is going to be a happy ending for all concerned.
    JJ plays 10,12 & 15 ... letting him go would be foolhardy in the extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

While trying to be supportive of our players, I am beyond frustrated at JJ failing at the big moments. I was in Thomond for the missed drop goal v Racing. I think I gave up on him that day.

Sadly he has reinforced this by missing big kicks and failing in the big moments. Grand for games in pro14 bar the big provincial games or finals.

When he was picked v Leinster you just knew we would be talking about him.

If Carbery can prove his fitness, then next season you could have:

Carbery
    Healy
    Flannery year 3
    Crowley year 2

The next few weeks will be big for Crowley and Flannery as they are likely to get a run of games, though perhaps not at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

4 weeks out from the next round of the league (excluding this week's game obviously).

I could see Joey being on the bench against Edinburgh or Cardiff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

With Ulster announcing contracts is there any updates coming out of munster?

With Zebo's contract with Racing Up in June and the fact they have signed Boffelli what are the chances of him coming back to Munster?

With Zebo's contract with Racing Up in June and the fact they have signed Boffelli what are the chances of him coming back to Munster?

Very little chance I'd say. I imagine if he leaves Racing he'll get another contract in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Ultimately that would come down to Andy Farrell wanting him for the national squad or not (from an IRFU and money point of view)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ethan Coughlan signing for Munster is some of the best news I've heard in a very long time and I admit it has cheered me up no end. Normally I might catch youtube highlights of Munster v Treviso on a Saturday evening at 5 but this Saturday I'm going to be togged out in my Ennis gear shouting at the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Clareman wrote: »
    Ethan Coughlan signing for Munster is some of the best news I've heard in a very long time and I admit it has cheered me up no end. Normally I might catch youtube highlights of Munster v Treviso on a Saturday evening at 5 but this Saturday I'm going to be togged out in my Ennis gear shouting at the screen.

Has he actually been given an Academy Contract yet?

• I couldn't imagine Zebo returning to Munster if I'm totally honest.

With finances the way they are and the fact we have Haley, Daly, Gallagher, Conway, Sweetnam, Hanrahan and Flannery who all play or are able to play Full Back and Daly, Gallagher, Conway, Sweetnam, Nash, Coombes, Earls who play or can play on the wing, it just doesn't make sense when you consider the money Zebo would want would probably cover the money being paid to 3 or 4 of the above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That's my thinking as well. Whatever chance there was of him returning to Munster, Covid has put paid to that, I'd imagine. We'll just have to hope we meet whoever he's with in Europe again, and he can play the pantomime villain in Thomond like in the Racing match. Which was a laugh.

Clareman wrote: »
    Ennis have always had quite strong underage sides. Hopefully this could be push for club to help keep these players and get a 20s side going and get the adult side of the club going again when rugby is back next season.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Has he actually been given an Academy Contract yet?
    Nothing confirmed but imagine if he will have some form of contract either academy/1 year development if he does well over next few weeks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ennis have always had quite strong underage sides. Hopefully this could be push for club to help keep these players and get a 20s side going and get the adult side of the club going again when rugby is back next season.

Nothing confirmed but imagine if he will have some form of contract either academy/1 year development if he does well over next few weeks

There was a 20's side this season in Ennis , 1st time in a very long time. Only got 3 Games played before lock-down put paid to the season sadly.

Made up of the core of the team that Ethan played on all the way through Underage.

Conor Moloney (who featured for Munster in the recent 7's series) and Tony Butler were the other Underage Internationals on that same team.

Fantastic news for Ethan and hopefully Conor and Tony will follow him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Nothing official yet. Gerry Thornley saying they're still in negotiations. Might get some confirmed ones before the next round of pro14 potentially.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/contract-future-still-unclear-for-many-of-ireland-s-rugby-pros-1.4468619

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

12 matches played this season

Munster have used 49 players (likely to hit 50 this weekend with one of the new SHs making an appearance)

With G.Coombes, JO’D, and Casey appearing in all but 1 game

In terms of minutes played

DDA is top with 746, Haley with 720, G.Coombes has 643, JO’D has 596 and Casey with 527

We have 20 different try scorers, nine forwards, 10 backs and Mr PT

With Coombes getting seven and KO’B getting four

Nine yellow cards and one red card

With Holland and PO’M picking up 2 yellow cards each

Player Mins after 12 games
    De Allende 746
    Haley 720
    G.Coombes 643
    JOD 596
    Casey 527
    R.Scannell 514
    JJH 509
    Kleyn 498
    Archer 482
    Beirne 480
    J.Cronin 475
    F.Wycherley 469
    Stander 464
    Healy 462
    Holland 441
    KO'B 412
    Nash 400
    Farrell 400
    Marshall 379
    Sweetnam 369
    POM 365
    Gallagher 331
    Ryan 329
    Earls 320
    S.Daly 301
    Murray 291
    J.Wycherley 274
    Goggin 243
    Conway 234
    Hodnett 194
    TOD 183
    O'Sullivan 178
    Cloete 142
    McCarthy 135
    Knox 117
    Ahern 111
    N.Scannell 110
    Loughman 82
    L.Coombes 80
    O'Connor 74
    French 60
    Barron 59
    Kilcoyne 55
    McHenry 50
    Salanoa 32
    J.Daly 23
    Crowley 13
    Flannery 8
    N.Cronin 7

Players yet to feature:
    Carbery, Snyman

There was a 20's side this season in Ennis , 1st time in a very long time. Only got 3 Games played before lock-down put paid to the season sadly.

Made up of the core of the team that Ethan played on all the way through Underage.

Conor Moloney (who featured for Munster in the recent 7's series) and Tony Butler were the other Underage Internationals on that same team.

Fantastic news for Ethan and hopefully Conor and Tony will follow him.

Needs to be better structure for 20s as even with likes of Ethan and his team which was seriously good at youths grades they mightnt always be able to compete with the city clubs at 20s
    They played in the city pre season league. Werent in the donal walsh, just like Nenagh, Clonmel. Munster need to do far more than just have 1 division at 20s

Needs to be better structure for 20s as even with likes of Ethan and his team which was seriously good at youths grades they mightnt always be able to compete with the city clubs at 20s
    They played in the city pre season league. Werent in the donal walsh, just like Nenagh, Clonmel. Munster need to do far more than just have 1 division at 20s

For another thread , but agree on all counts above.

Far more needs to be done in Munster to support underage club rugby and help the clubs hold on to players moving into Adult rugby.

Munster trying to rely on a half-dozen schools to be the feeders to the Pro-Game just isn't going to cut it.

Really drive the quality of Youth Rugby and get more players like John Hodnett and Ethan etc.

• Advertisement

For another thread , but agree on all counts above.

Far more needs to be done in Munster to support underage club rugby and help the clubs hold on to players moving into Adult rugby.

Munster trying to rely on a half-dozen schools to be the feeders to the Pro-Game just isn't going to cut it.

Really drive the quality of Youth Rugby and get more players like John Hodnett and Ethan etc.
    Munster arent relying as much on those schools as they were and are at least highlighting the roles club played in those players age grade careers.

They have the competition structures pretty spot on but need to help drive coaching standards within some more of these clubs. Clubs need to do promo better and Munster assist them in covering the clubs 16s/18s competitions more.

Advertisement