Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I am playing this for the first time with a controller, all other runs having been with keyboard+mouse.

It's way more fun! I can sit back and relax, and get in a flow. SL1 run underway.

Only downside is the thumbsticks are taking some getting used to, but it's literally the first time I've ever held an Xbox controller so I suppose it'll come in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

beans wrote: »
    I am playing this for the first time with a controller, all other runs having been with keyboard+mouse.

It's way more fun! I can sit back and relax, and get in a flow. SL1 run underway.

Only downside is the thumbsticks are taking some getting used to, but it's literally the first time I've ever held an Xbox controller so I suppose it'll come in time.

I honestly don't know how anyone could play one of those games with a Keyboard and Mouse, that would be next to impossible for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Finally completed Dark Souls this morning. Stopped playing at Oocile Township in October but jumped back in last week to tidy everything up.

Killed Manus in four goes and Kalameet took about 10. Parried Gwyn to death on the third go so that's everything done now.

Either Demon Souls on PS5 or DS2 next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Finally completed Dark Souls this morning. Stopped playing at Oocile Township in October but jumped back in last week to tidy everything up.

Killed Manus in four goes and Kalameet took about 10. Parried Gwyn to death on the third go so that's everything done now.

No brainer mate - Demon Souls on PS5 :D

sticker wrote: »
    No brainer mate - Demon Souls on PS5 :D

I have DS3 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Dark souls 2 is great once you get into it, I actually prefer it to DS1 ;)

Go with 2 next, then 3.. Save Demon souls for later, you will likely save alot of money getting DeS at a later date with its current rip off price :D

nix wrote: »

Go with 2 next, then 3.. Save Demon souls for later, you will likely save alot of money getting DeS at a later date with its current rip off price :D

It's Gas how each experience is different, i genuinely disliked DS2!

By the way, if Bloodbourne has not been played yet, this would be my first suggestion for a next play...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Sounds like we are on a similar journey :pac:

Since getting the PS5 and Demon's Souls I have decided to platinum all the games. Just took care of Bloodborne this morning and Dark Souls a few weeks ago. Will take a break before starting on Dark Souls 2.

nix wrote: »

My brother bought Demon Souls and we game share.

Edit: I've finished Sekiro and Bloodborne.

DS PS5 is an absolute masterpiece. It will never be soon enough to play it for the first time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Id still go with DS2, will be better on the eyes going from crappy-er graphics to better :P

Given what has been played already Dark Souls 2 will be an absolute cake walk to the OP. Replayed it myself recently on Series X having played it on 360 at launch. Looks and plays better than DS3 even on the Series X . Weapon durability was an issue but I think that was patched on PS????

The DLC though isn't a cake walk and I found some of those areas a real challenge.

Given what has been played already Dark Souls 2 will be an absolute cake walk to the OP. Replayed it myself recently on Series X having played it on 360 at launch. Looks and plays better than DS3 even on the Series X . Weapon durability was an issue but I think that was patched on PS????

The DLC though isn't a cake walk and I found some of those areas a real challenge.

I have DS2 & DS3 on PC so I don't think there's any issues on that.

Weirdly enough, DS3 was patched when the PS4 Pro released and the framerate was unlocked. It didn't make any sense as it usually just hovered around 45 fps making it pretty juddery. When played on PS5 it runs at a locked 60 FPS.

Weird that they never patched it for 1X, which means I think it is still stuck at 900p/30 FPS on series X.

Markitron wrote: »
    Weirdly enough, DS3 was patched when the PS4 Pro released and the framerate was unlocked. It didn't make any sense as it usually just hovered around 45 fps making it pretty juddery. When played on PS5 it runs at a locked 60 FPS.

Weird that they never patched it for 1X, which means I think it is still stuck at 900p/30 FPS on series X.

Very much looked it, I would have played it when it came out and never really had issues with it but back then I was on a 1080p display and 30fps was par for the course on consoles. Going back to it now it was near unplayable, I made it to the first boss before leaving it.

EDIT: Actually I must go and check if it's going to be one of the games to benefit from the fps boost feature MS have implemented on the X.

Very much looked it, I would have played it when it came out and never really had issues with it but back then I was on a 1080p display and 30fps was par for the course on consoles. Going back to it now it was near unplayable, I made it to the first boss before leaving it.

EDIT: Actually I must go and check if it's going to be one of the games to benefit from the fps boost feature MS have implemented on the X.

It isn’t, that’s only available on a handful of games.

I tried Demon Souls last night and something feels off about the camera, like it's much lower to the ground behind my character which makes timing parties very difficult.

Is there a way to gmset it similar to Dark Souls?

I tried Demon Souls last night and something feels off about the camera, like it's much lower to the ground behind my character which makes timing parties very difficult.

There actually is yea, I can't remember what the option is called but its there.

Markitron wrote: »
    There actually is yea, I can't remember what the option is called but its there.

I'll have a look later so.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Is it the PS5 Demons souls? I think the default is a new camera mode called chase. I think there's a setting called 'manual' which is supposedly similar to the classic souls camera.

I've not tried it myself though as I didn't have any issue with the default one.

• Advertisement

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Is it the PS5 Demons souls? I think the default is a new camera mode called chase. I think there's a setting called 'manual' which is supposedly similar to the classic souls camera.

I've not tried it myself though as I didn't have any issue with the default one.

Yep on PS5. The only issue I have is it's very low so makes it hard to see when the enemy is going to swing at you. It wouldn't be an issue if I was just blocking but its hard to jusde parries with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dark Souls III down to 12.50 in the PS Spring Sale. What's the general consensus on DS3? Also Season Pass for same is down to the same price, is it worth it?

Might not play it for a while, but even regardless of price, just wondering what the opinion of it is compared to other SoulsBorne games (particularly Demon's Souls which I imagine is the closest comparison).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Penn wrote: »
    Dark Souls III down to 12.50 in the PS Spring Sale. What's the general consensus on DS3? Also Season Pass for same is down to the same price, is it worth it?

Might not play it for a while, but even regardless of price, just wondering what the opinion of it is compared to other SoulsBorne games (particularly Demon's Souls which I imagine is the closest comparison).

It's brilliant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's pretty amazing and the dlc is wonderful. Definitely worth picking up. It's kind of a halfway point between dark souls and bloodborne. The combat is a little faster and bosses a little more aggressive to compensate.

I'd rank it better than demons souls.

Alright, bought both. I definitely enjoyed Demons Souls more than Bloodborne, but a bit of Bloodborneness in the game wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Penn wrote: »
    Alright, bought both. I definitely enjoyed Demons Souls more than Bloodborne, but a bit of Bloodborneness in the game wouldn't be a bad thing either.

It runs at 60 FPS on the PS5 which is a nice bonus.

I have been meaning to try the DLC but I accidentally went straight into NG+ And there is no way I would be up to the challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Just completed Bloodborne for the first time. I’d tried it in the past after first completing DS1, 2 and 3 but it just never clicked for me. Good ‘ol FightinCowboy released a 100% walkthrough recently so I decided to take the plunge again.

The biggest thing for me was coming to the realisation that you don’t actually need to parry with the gun to proceed, which I was convinced was the case previously. Once I got over that it went smoothly.

Having said all that, I’m not quite sure why people consider it a masterpiece and the crown jewel of the series. Personally I preferred souls a lot more, particularly DS1 and 3. Also loved Demon Souls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love Demon's Souls and glad more people are loving it now after the mountains of abuse I got suggesting it was a better game than Uncharted 2 that year (sweet vindication, remember kids I'm rarely wrong) but it always felt a bit unrefined and unfinished compared to the rest of the series (even if Dark Souls and Bloodborne feel a little unfinished as well). There's too many janky areas and too many gimmick bosses for me to say it's anywhere near the best or is it just emperor's new clothing as it's the only stand out exclusive on the PS5?

ArthurG wrote: »
    Just completed Bloodborne for the first time. I’d tried it in the past after first completing DS1, 2 and 3 but it just never clicked for me. Good ‘ol FightinCowboy released a 100% walkthrough recently so I decided to take the plunge again.

The biggest thing for me was coming to the realisation that you don’t actually need to parry with the gun to proceed, which I was convinced was the case previously. Once I got over that it went smoothly.

Having said all that, I’m not quite sure why people consider it a masterpiece and the crown jewel of the series. Personally I preferred souls a lot more, particularly DS1 and 3. Also loved Demon Souls.

I only ever used the gun parry for hunter enemies/bosses. For monster enemies/bosses I really felt it was too difficult and pointless trying to time it correctly and wasn't really required. Much easier in those cases to dodge and attack from the side instead.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I love Demon's Souls and glad more people are loving it now after the mountains of abuse I got suggesting it was a better game than Uncharted 2 that year (sweet vindication, remember kids I'm rarely wrong) but it always felt a bit unrefined and unfinished compared to the rest of the series (even if Dark Souls and Bloodborne feel a little unfinished as well). There's too many janky areas and too many gimmick bosses for me to say it's anywhere near the best or is it just emperor's new clothing as it's the only stand out exclusive on the PS5?

I do kinda agree about the gimmick bosses in DeS, especially when it comes to the archdemons in each area. But a big issue I had with Bloodborne was too much similarity in most of the bosses, where they were all just large monsters who you attack from the side/rear, dodge in and dodge out. It works for the game mechanics in terms of the rally system where you're supposed to remain aggressive as much as possible, but most of the bosses just felt repetitive because of that.

Advertisement