Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am I mad Changing defy crankset?

Options
  • 21-01-2021 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Giant cheaped out on my advanced 2 2020 crankset. Whole bike is 105 bar the crankset which is shimano fc 510. (They done the same on the 1 ultegra models also).

I really like the look of the 105 crankset and it will complete the bikes look. But I'd say it will offer no benefit to my physical cycling of the bike. You're talking about €150 to change over. I have carbon wheels, new jacket, helmet etc so don't need anything else.

Is it worth it though? (Looks are very important to me).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

My view on things like this are, if you can afford it then do it. Life’s too short and if you are as you say you are and it will wreck your head every time you look at the bike then go for it I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

My view on things like this are, if you can afford it then do it. Life’s too short and if you are as you say you are and it will wreck your head every time you look at the bike then go for it I say.

Thank you. Now I also know what to say to the wife.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have the same on one of my bikes; the crankset (the 500, in my case, the older model) is just slightly below the spec of the 105 one, and mine is silver making it that little bit harder to find one S/H. cos i ain't buying one new, that's not worth €150 to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Thank you. Now I also know what to say to the wife.

dont tell her - she wont notice (unless shes a cyclist !)

i have the same on one of my bikes; the crankset (the 500, in my case, the older model) is just slightly below the spec of the 105 one, and mine is silver making it that little bit harder to find one S/H. cos i ain't buying one new, that's not worth €150 to me.

Cycle superstore might have them.

• Advertisement

Bugs me no end to see the cheaper cranks on 2k plus bike. You could also get 105 decals on ebay for €5 but I'd not sleep at night knowing I was faking it :D

Saw the 105 crankset going for €125 on decathlon the other day.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/shimano-105-chainset-en-s201167-2843830.html

Bugs me no end to see the cheaper cranks on 2k plus bike. You could also get 105 decals on ebay for €5 but I'd not sleep at night knowing I was faking it :D

Saw the 105 crankset going for €125 on decathlon the other day.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/shimano-105-chainset-en-s201167-2843830.html

Yeah seen that. Cycle superstore is beside the job and have them on sale for €128. I need to get a shorter stem too so Ill get it all done in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Have you gone back to Giant about it? They’re usually pretty good with things like this, surely a Giant Defy 2 with 105 should come with 105 cranks?

I’ve the 2019 Defy Advanced Pro 0 and the power meter on the cranks died after a year, went down to the lads thinking they’d just order replacement power meter yokes to stick on the cranks and they just ordered brand now 2020 cranks with the newer power meters under warranty.

I’d give them a shout first myself.

Have you gone back to Giant about it? They’re usually pretty good with things like this, surely a Giant Defy 2 with 105 should come with 105 cranks?

I’ve the 2019 Defy Advanced Pro 0 and the power meter on the cranks died after a year, went down to the lads thinking they’d just order replacement power meter yokes to stick on the cranks and they just ordered brand now 2020 cranks with the newer power meters under warranty.

I’d give them a shout first myself.

Yours was more a warranty issue whereas mine is just an astethic thing. The part is fine and working well. Doubt they will change it for free.

Went down to cycle superstore there. They have no 105 crankset in stock so it's ordered for 4th of February.

Got a much shorter stem and the difference on the pressure on my back is unreal. Bike is far more comfortable now despite an l5 prolapsed disc. I found myself on the main bars all the time but straight away I'm far more comfortable on the drops.

€25 supplied and fitted, there and then, they only charged me. Bloody great service and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Yours was more a warranty issue whereas mine is just an astethic thing. The part is fine and working well. Doubt they will change it for free.

Went down to cycle superstore there. They have no 105 crankset in stock so it's ordered for 4th of February.

Got a much shorter stem and the difference on the pressure on my back is unreal. Bike is far more comfortable now despite an l5 prolapsed disc. I found myself on the main bars all the time but straight away I'm far more comfortable on the drops.

€25 supplied and fitted, there and then, they only charged me. Bloody great service and price.

I agree with you, the change in cranks will make absolutely zero difference. But you'll be able to pass them on secondhand and recoup some of the spend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a common trick for bike manufacturers/assemblers to stick a crankset on from a lesser groupset; usually the RD and shifters are the highest spec (because the RD is the most visible indicator of the groupset when off the bike, and the shifters while on the bike); so as above, it's not a mistake that giant put a cheaper crankset on. it might shave €50 off the cost of the bike.

gman2k wrote: »
    I agree with you, the change in cranks will make absolutely zero difference. But you'll be able to pass them on secondhand and recoup some of the spend.

I'll give it away for free on here if anyone wants it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Giant have been doing that for years with the Defy - my 2016 model is the same - 105 everything, except the crankset. But they're not alone - the Cannondale Topstone AL Tiagra and 105 both come with the same FSA Crankset.

I'm not bothered with my Defy, but I keep mulling over switching the Topstone to GRX. At least with Giant it's the same bottom bracket, but with the Topstone, it's bottom bracket, crankset, (and front derailleur as I understand it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

From more than a metre away you couldn't tell the difference between the RS510 crank and 5800 to be honest.

Now if you had said the slightly older RS500 crank I'd say to you hang on to it, it's a far nicer crank on the eyes that the more solid units that the series 'above' it. The RS500 is a really nice looking crank! But even then the RS510 is also a nicer looking crank than 5800 (IMO).

900g vs 730g, not a lot in it. My opinion of 5800 is the components are good value but the crankset in particular is nasty, that mix of matt and gloss never looks clean and it scuffs way too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Giant have been doing that for years with the Defy - my 2016 model is the same - 105 everything, except the crankset. But they're not alone - the Cannondale Topstone AL Tiagra and 105 both come with the same FSA Crankset.

I'm not bothered with my Defy, but I keep mulling over switching the Topstone to GRX. At least with Giant it's the same bottom bracket, but with the Topstone, it's bottom bracket, crankset, (and front derailleur as I understand it).
    Is it really true that the 105 or Ultegra FDs won't work with a 2x GRX crankset? I've just built up a bike with full 105 but at the last minute realized the crankset I was going to put on wasn't a normal sized axle so swapped out the crankset to a GRX 600 46-30. It seems to shift fine but I've barely used it so don't know if I will get problems with certain gear combinations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

Is it really true that the 105 or Ultegra FDs won't work with a 2x GRX crankset? I've just built up a bike with full 105 but at the last minute realized the crankset I was going to put on wasn't a normal sized axle so swapped out the crankset to a GRX 600 46-30. It seems to shift fine but I've barely used it so don't know if I will get problems with certain gear combinations etc.

I think that the GRX crankset has a chainline that is set a few mm outboard from the pure road models so while you might be able to adjust a standard FD to suit it's not guaranteed to work in all circumstances.

To answer the OP's question, if Giant cheaped out on the crankset, it's even more likely that they cheaped out on the wheels, you'll get more of a performance boost from your money there than on a crankset....

nilhg wrote: »
    To answer the OP's question, if Giant cheaped out on the crankset, it's even more likely that they cheaped out on the wheels, you'll get more of a performance boost from your money there than on a crankset....

I did mention in my thread that I have a set of carbons on the bike already. Thanks though.

I did mention in my thread that I have a set of carbons on the bike already. Thanks though.

Ah, my bad, you're set fair so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not sure, and as I'm wfh, I can't just nip in and ask Cliff... The GRX 10 speed would be lighter, but it was also to use one of my 4iii crank power meters by being hollowtech2. It's a while since I looked, but it seemed to be the cheapest power option.

• Advertisement

Meant to reply earlier - if you want rid of it I would happily take it, I think that chainset is rather smart looking, if a little heavy.

Glad to see you got sorted and yep, never underestimate the power of getting your position just right on a bike - it transforms the experience as you are finding.

a wise man once said to me to never give anything away for free. because someone will take it because it's free, rather than because they need it/will use it. even just to put a donation to charity as a condition into the arrangement...

(no intent to cast aspersions on MojoMaker intended, btw!)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Meant to reply earlier - if you want rid of it I would happily take it, I think that chainset is rather smart looking, if a little heavy.

Glad to see you got sorted and yep, never underestimate the power of getting your position just right on a bike - it transforms the experience as you are finding.

I checked them out online. They are €95 new, I didn't think they were that expensive, I thought about €50 tops.

I might keep it cause I can put it back on the defy when I'm selling it and transfer the 105 onto my new bike. I'm half way through my cycle to work scheme. I'll have a think about it and get back to you.

Cool. I'm looking around for a glossy and hard-wearing chainset to (ironically) replace a very tatty 5800 chainset, which is so prone to scuffs and dulling on the matt components I can barely bear to look at it anymore :pac:

Just got the bike back there after upgrading the crank. Its only something small but it completes the whole bike as its all 105 now. So yes, an expensive aesthetic upgrade but it makes me happy and thats the main thing.

Advertisement