Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster v Leinster Build Up Thread

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Nice bit of analysis by Jackman,

We had Leinster in their 22, miss a tackle, give away a soft penalty and Leinster score the game winning try

https://twitter.com/bernardjackman/status/1353308378890706944

Think Luke McGrath was quality in this play. Murray kicks away the ball from a good attacking position. McGrath with a great break off the mall and the speed he gets up from the deck to keep up the quick play. Same for the try phase his delivery was really quick.
    Murray was great with the boot yesterday but McGrath's speed of delivery was excellent and helped win Leinster the game.
    I know Murray will start for Ireland but I'd love to see one of the others who's a running threat get a proper run. With Murray it's going to be slow and controlled while I think Ireland need quick ball to get our outsides backs more opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I thought Beirne response was fairly genuine, I wouldn't have an issue with it. As with Lowe in similar circumstances, I think its just a passionate response for a passionate player at a key time.

Lowe is a joke.

Defo do not have an issue with Beirne.
    Anyone who has put their body on the line like that will understand Beirnes reaction.
    It was a key turnover penalty that he won on his own and on his own line at a crucial point in the game.

The reaction to his knock-on is something i cant stand.
    When the opposition makes a mistake just get on with it.

Beirne had a good game. I’ve seen him play better.
    Probably the most consistent Irish forward across 2017-18, 2019 & this 2020-21 season.
    He’s a constant turnover threat, has excellent lineout skills, mobility & all with a sheer hunger and bravery.

He’s a must start v Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Lowe is a joke.

Anyone who has put their body on the line like that will understand Beirnes reaction.
    It was a key turnover penalty that he won on his own and on his own line at a crucial point in the game.

Probably the most consistent Irish forward across 2017-18, 2019 & this 2020-21 season.
    He’s a constant turnover threat, has excellent lineout skills, mobility & all with a sheer hunger and bravery.

1975512.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Lowe is a joke.

Not sure he's good enough in teh lineout. It went to pot against Leinster and in the Autumn against France. How does a second row who's the primary lineout jumper get rave reviews when the lineout malfunctions so badly?

I think I would start Thornbury alongside Ryan.

Dont think Ryan had a particularly good 2019.
    & slowly coming around again the last few months after his injury in 2020.

Best game ive seen for him in a good while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Dont think Ryan had a particularly good 2019.
    & slowly coming around again the last few months after his injury in 2020.

Best game ive seen for him in a good while

James Ryan consensus irish player of the year in 2018-2019 season: https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/0515/1049655-james-ryan-named-players-player-of-the-year/

His "bad performances" are a 7/10. Judged by different levels to everyone else at his position.

Im saying his 2019 form including RWC.
    I dont think he's been as consistent as Beirne over the periods I've stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Im saying his 2019 form including RWC.
    I dont think he's been as consistent as Beirne over the periods I've stated.

Eh??

What is your barometer for consistency here? Ryan has started every Ireland and Leinster game he has been available for.

Beirne rarely gets the nod to start for Ireland.

Not really sure how you could say he's more consistent in this case.

I don't think you can really compare the 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Lowe is a joke.

So, is there a metric for how much body is to be put on the line before you're allowed to react in a match?

Jesus I hope they're teaching this stuff in the academies. Lowe needs to up his Body to Line ratio if he's going to continue in his nefarious ways. Rookie numbers!

Eh??

What is your barometer for consistency here? Ryan has started every Ireland and Leinster game he has been available for.

Beirne rarely gets the nod to start for Ireland.

Not really sure how you could say he's more consistent in this case.

I don't think you can really compare the 2

Im not really comparing the two...if you know what i mean?

Just taking account of Beirne's overall forward play as a whole and his consistency in delivering good to excellent performance for Scarlet's, Munster & Ireland.

Ryan is of course the other consistent mainstay but i feel he was just exhausted at H-T v Japan and hasn't recovered to his previous best. I thought the break would really help him and Furlong but that shoulder injury hasn't helped.

When i thin about it again CJ's has probably been the most consistent! His durability is almost unbelievable.

• Advertisement

Morathi wrote: »
    So, is there a metric for how much body is to be put on the line before you're allowed to react in a match?

Jesus I hope they're teaching this stuff in the academies. Lowe needs to up his Body to Line ratio if he's going to continue in his nefarious ways. Rookie numbers!

I wouldn't say a metric...just a bit of cop on!!

A winger running in whooping and hollering when he hasnt been involved in the play is completely different to a forward who is in the white heat of battle and winning his team a crucial penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

I wouldn't say a metric...just a bit of cop on!!

A winger running in whooping and hollering when he hasnt been involved in the play is completely different to a forward who is in the white heat of battle and winning his team a crucial penalty.

Or you could say running in to congratulate teammates is a lot more understandable than roaring at the opposition like a fool.

All a matter of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Jaysus, some have little to be talking about if either Beirnes celebration of a big moment or Lowes celebrations of big moments from team mates is an issue. Both are completely understandable and I honestly can't see why anyone would have a problem with either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

molloyjh wrote: »
    Jaysus, some have little to be talking about if either Beirnes celebration of a big moment or Lowes celebrations of big moments from team mates is an issue. Both are completely understandable and I honestly can't see why anyone would have a problem with either.

I think the main reason is that this is the Munster v Leinster thread, where any semblance of objectivity tends to go out the window...

Advertisement