Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weekend Away in Spain

Options
  • 11-01-2021 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hi

How likely is it we could go for a weekend away in May to Spain?

I presume I would be able to get my money back if they weren't allowed fly.

I'm thinking of a city break.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

You won’t get a refund on flights unless your flight is cancelled. You will most likely be able to change the dates for free though (if late flight is more expensive however you need to play the difference.)

Lots of hotels are doing free cancellation up until pretty close to the date of your stay, so check booking .com as you can filter by those.

Personally I think May is pushing it, I think it will be more the tail end of the summer (maybe July) before we are flying for leisure (without testing isolating etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭thebiglad

heffo500 wrote: »
    Hi

How likely is it we could go for a weekend away in May to Spain?

I presume I would be able to get my money back if they weren't allowed fly.

I'm thinking of a city break.

Thanks

Would think May is slim.

Depending on what the airlines are doing you may get offered a no fee change of date (doesn't mean the date you move flight to will necessarily be same price, so may cost you), don't think too many will give a full refund.

Any hotel you book would of course have to be full refund basis.

For me the main issue would be what's going to be open in Spain and will they be welcoming visitors into their cities in May - even if you get there with local restrictions it may not be the most worthwhile city break.

I'd love to get away and will do at first proper opportunity but think it's unlikely to be in 1st half of the year, if even before September unfortunately.

Lost too much money on flights/holidays last year to risk it again yet for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Not much point in going if you have to isolate for 2 weeks on returning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't bother tbh.

Or at least leave it closer to the time to book.

You might have more idea come March or early April if it looks likely, and perhaps save yourself the hassle of reclaiming money or moving flights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Like others have said, there's too much uncertainty...

The age of quick casual travel may be over for now...or at least until 2022 and beyond....

With the additional costs of testing and the time taken to ensure all the requirements for travel to various countries is done you'd be better off saving your money and going on one big holiday only this year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

I'd be fairly confident for May. Even right now if you pay for testing that's a viable trip (although not sure what there would be to do in Spain once you got there!)

If your flexible worst case is you get to move your flights back and guess that the tickets are dirt cheap now anyway so you don't have much to lose. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

If you don’t mind forking out hundreds of euros for the tests for sake of a weekend break then I think it’s not a bad idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

another thing to consider is the current situation in spain around curfews. do you really want to stuck in your hotel from 8pm till morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

You could go now if you wanted to.. well obviously not with the 5km travel ban but, in the next few weeks, Spain is open apart from the curfew(unfortunate) but lot's more open than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

I very much doubt those curfews will still be in place come May. Or they might but nowhere near as strict. Evenings are dark now so it's not a big deal but they'll be bright then.

I think it's quite reasonable to look forward to a trip around May. I wouldn't be booking until nearer the time and you need to be prepared for it to be more expensive and a bit more hassle with having to factor in tests etc than in normal times. But I wouldn't feel as pessimistic about it as other posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Wonder how Leo’s comments today about not making quarantine mandatory will affect people who head to the parts of Spain that offer Covid testing for a fee in the airports

Advertisement