Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not sure on this but I had a look at the latest version of the brochure for the Centre lists a few more food establishments. Most notably is the return of Double 8!

Seems like a lot of food places. Will there be any shops?????

Wowburger (press up group)
    Elephant and Castle (press up group)
    Dollard Pizza (press up group)
    Dime coffee shop (press up group)
    Doolally indian (press up group)
    Umi falafel
    Sallys ice cream rolls
    Double 8

Is it really a press up group centre?
    Stella Bowl (press up group)
    Stella Cinema (press up group)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Is there some sort of relationship between Oakmount and Pressup?
    I don't mind too much, as long as the units are filled.
    Zero info on any retail yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

fjon wrote: »

They are both owned and run by Paddy McKillen, Paddy McKillen jnr and Matt Ryan.

It is going to be very difficult to fill the retail units in the current market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Ah that explains it!
    Yeah, unfortunate time to be opening a shopping centre. I'm hopeful people will want to go shopping as soon as they can though.

fjon wrote: »

The same owners but independent companies

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

It cant be tesco (two already)
    Pennies (too small)
    Not Lidl or Aldi
    You have to assume its going to be a Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

redmgar wrote: »
    It cant be tesco (two already)
    Pennies (too small)
    Not Lidl or Aldi
    You have to assume its going to be a Dunnes.

How is it too small for Penneys?

I believe Regal.Fare are just closing due to level.5 stuff and will reopen soonish. Just from what locals are saying!

murpho999 wrote: »
    How is it too small for Penneys?

Penny's have specific minimum shop size and none of the units meet the requirements.

Penny's have specific minimum shop size and none of the units meet the requirements.

OK I can't find anything about their size requirements but they could take multiple units.

Either way I don't think they'll open a Penney's here. Dundrum & Dun Laoghaire close by, but you never know.

I'd say Dunnes have to be a reasonable shout.

• Advertisement

I think Pennys would do great business, but I don't think its a goer.
    I really hope its not a white elephant in the middle of the town with lots of empty units, like the sunnybank.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Regal Fare was open on Tuesday when I drove by it

Not sure on this but I had a look at the latest version of the brochure for the Centre lists a few more food establishments. Most notably is the return of Double 8!

Haha I found out today that Press Up Group bought out the Double 8 brand name. Very few non Press Up Group companies signed up and no retail yet!!!

Wowburger (press up group)
    Elephant and Castle (press up group)
    Dollard Pizza (press up group)
    Dime coffee shop (press up group)
    Doolally indian (press up group)
    Double 8 (press up group)
    Stella Bowl (press up group)
    Stella Cinema (press up group)

Umi falafel
    Sallys ice cream rolls

Terry Pratchet

Well it's hardly surprising that nothing has been confirmed outside of the Press Up Group in the current Covid crisis.

Makes sense that no retail group is committing to any expansion or new ventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Well it's hardly surprising that nothing has been confirmed outside of the Press Up Group in the current Covid crisis.

Makes sense that no retail group is committing to any expansion or new ventures.

I'd tend to agree. I don't think it's a sign of a general lack of interest but more so a sign of the times we are currently in. There is too much uncertainty in general at present but that should hopefully start to lift in the second and third quarters of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

With a lot of people working from home these days I would see it as a great opportunity now for a new business to open its doors outside of Dublin city centre that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cluster wrote: »
    With a lot of people working from home these days I would see it as a great opportunity now for a new business to open its doors outside of Dublin city centre that is.

bricks and mortar retail is dying, if anything the pandemic and shift to WFH is hastening that process as everyone is at home to receive deliveries all the time.

Bray isn't suddenly going to become a retail destination because of a new relatively small shopping centre. Even since they started building it the landscape has changed dramatically.

Apparently there is a retailer about to sign up as the major anchor.

Terry Pratchet

Do we know which?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I hope you are right. Hopefully this would inject some life into the area. It is so sad to see so many places closed.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    I hope you are right. Hopefully this would inject some life into the area. It is so sad to see so many places closed.

I am only repeating what Bray councillors were told at their Council meeting on Tuesday. There are no details yet on who etc

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

I hope this is true. Timing is very unfortunate for the development, and worried it will be left empty and depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

loyatemu wrote: »
    bricks and mortar retail is dying, if anything the pandemic and shift to WFH is hastening that process as everyone is at home to receive deliveries all the time.

Bray isn't suddenly going to become a retail destination because of a new relatively small shopping centre. Even since they started building it the landscape has changed dramatically.

That's the spirit

The flagship store(s) will play a huge part in the success or otherwise of the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Do we know which?

Rumoured to be Pennys for years now.
    I really really hope it is.

ellejay wrote: »

Also rumoured for years pennys said no....

Terry Pratchet

Lot of new Chicken takeouts haha

Dirtbirdz in McHarveys in the Vevay

Joes Chicken at the DART station

Terry Pratchet

ellejay wrote: »

I really don't know what Penneys would add.

I think a nice new look modern Dunnes would be better.

Lot of new Chicken takeouts haha

Dirtbirdz in McHarveys in the Vevay

Joes Chicken at the DART station

These businesses are just winging it.

Sorry.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I really don't know what Penneys would add.

I think a nice new look modern Dunnes would be better.

I agree. Something like they've done in Blackrock would be nice. Dunnes have strange offerings in this town. The grocery shop seems to pack an unbelievable amount of stock into a relatively small shop and the clothes shop, particularly the menswear, is like something caught in a timewarp. The clothes never seem to change

Advertisement