Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring Water

• 04-01-2021 3:24pm

I am mainly vegan, about 90%, don't buy meat, dairy or fish. However i do eat the odd bar, biscuits so not entirely clean. I intend to change that now and go full hog. As part of that i want to drink uncontaminated fresh spring water, does anyone have a good source or recommendation for suppliers in Ireland? Have done a lot of reading of the benefits of spring water over filtered water.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not sure if you can reliably ensure that a commercial bottling plant has not altered or added to their "spring" water.
    If you live in/close to a rural area, you could ask someone with their own well if you could get water weekly.
    The roadside pumps, once maintained by the local Council, are becoming a thing of the past unfortunately.
    You could ask at a local farm, most will be on the local "Group Scheme" for washing purposes/animal drinking etc, and have a spring well as well for the house.
    They will be required to have their well tested for potability every 12 months.

If you have room, ie an acre or so, you could have a well drilled.

15 to 20 euro per foot drilled, so typical deep well at 200 feet coming in at €3000 to €4000 plus pump, pressure vessel, piping and underground cable.
    Budget on €6000 .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Depending where you are talk to someone with their own well.

Of course it depends what you mean by "uncontaminated" as all spring water will be picking upmineralsfrom therock.
    If you're in a limestone area, expect a lot of furring on your kettle, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭65535

Save rainwater and filter it using small micron filters and also uv filters

Hi guys, what's the story with removing my post about chemical additives in public water supplies?
    Was that not relevant to someone asking about safe drinking water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

The plant i worked only got the spring water through a UV filter ... Nothing more was done with it in terms of treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

weisses wrote: »
    The plant i worked only got the spring water through a UV filter ... Nothing more was done with it in terms of treatment

What did the uv filter do?

Odelay wrote: »
    What did the uv filter do?

Kills bacteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

UV light can be used at two levels. Standard use is to kill bacteria, very effective at that point and bulb will usually only need to be changed once a year. A lot of Group Water Schemes would use this in conjunction with chlorine as chlorine has residual effect and keep the pipes clean.
    A much higher UV concentration can be used to kill Cryptospiridium.

Advertisement