Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plant it range

• 05-01-2021 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I don't know if anyone remembers the Plant it range that were launched a while back. They were labeled as plant based yet contained egg and possibly dairy IIRC. Well, being the pain in the arse that I am I mailed them to complain about misleading packaging etc. They got back to me a good while back and explained that the were removing all animal products from their range and would be releasing them in and around christmas 2020. They asked me if I would like to test out the range and give them feed back. In some way you could see this as a paid for post, but I didn't get any money for it and its now a vegan product so I thought I'd let you all know anyway. I've supplied the feedback to them directly too and I am not obliged to post anything, I just thought you would like to know.

1uwRp0q

https://imgur.com/a/1uwRp0q

Images wont load so I've included a link.

So what did I think?

Fillets, these were hands down the best out of the chinken range, juicy, tender, great flavour, good crumb. Better than chicken fillets I've had in the past. I'm 100% buying these again when I can get to a shop that sells them and making chinken fillet rolls!!

SFC balls, I think I overcooked these. Crumb flavour was great, they were a bit dry, but again I think I left them in the oven for maybe 3 - 4 mins too long. They cook in 12 mins or something like that.

Tenders, pretty much the same offering as the fillets kids loved them.

Nuggets, Different batter, great "meat" and flavours were spot on.

Burgers, 3 types.

Cauli-quinoa burgers, these were the surprise in the delivery. Absolutely delicious, juicy, great bite, great flavours. There is a whiff of cauliflower off them not super strong or anything like that but it is noticeable. I have to say I think these are better than the dennys burgers. We had them with the smoked applewood Cheeze.

Meat-free burgers, they "bleed", which today isn't that much of a big deal, we've seen this across a lot of brands etc. Taste wise, spot on. Very "beefy" good texture and cook well in the oven, only thing, and this isn't exclusive to them is that the "blood" runs into other burgers on the trays. Had these with the Jalapeno Cheeze from tesco.

Chicken-free burgers, thinner than a lot of chinken burgers on the market but wider so they are actually bigger than your standard burger bun, which I liked. Compared to the quorn hot n spicy which are smaller and typically end up loosing your toppings. Taste, texture, crumb, all fantastic. We had these with violife original slices.

So thats all. Hope you find it useful and don't consider it shilling as I am in no way affiliated with them, but they did travel down from Donegal to Waterford to deliver them in time for christmas. They are all made in Ireland too so less miles etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's great that they went vegan after that initial faux pas. They've contacted me (outside of boards) to test these too, and if I tag them on insta they will plant 100 trees in my name haha, so I suppose I am getting something! Will give my review in time too. They sound really good, wonder where they will be stocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Did they tell you where you can get them?

Maybe ask them to get rid of the plastic tray in the packaging. Is it a plastic tray in a plastic wrapper? No need for the tray, or does that stop them falling to pieces?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Looked at their site now, tesco, supervalu, spar, fresh, avoca. No idea on the plastic and if it is compostable/biodegradable but it is often very hard to remove plastic altogether from products. The seem open to change, worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Was egg listed in the ingredients originally or left out altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

eviltwin wrote: »
    Was egg listed in the ingredients originally or left out altogether?

IIRC it was listed in ingredients, I don't think they were trying to mislead tbh as they seemed to be quite decent and open to feedback etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement