Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-01-2019, 19:35   #1
BarryD2
Registered User
 
BarryD2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,832
Fewer L plates on view?

Passing by our local secondary school recently in a rural area, I was struck by the lack of L plates on display in the cars parked outside.

The number of cars parked by students is the same as previous years, when you'd see a 50/50 mix of N plates and L plates.

Now it's just c 50/50 N plates and the others have nothing up. Maybe these drivers have all qualified and have 2 years driving under them (unlikely at this age). Or maybe they are learner drivers now flying under the radar?

A possible conclusion is that Ross's new law may be making the roads more dangerous if we are less likely to be able to identify L drivers now.

Given the consequences for an unaccompanied learner and their parents or car owner now, it's pretty understandable for L drivers to take their plates down and make themselves less identifiable.

What does anyone else notice in rural Ireland?
BarryD2 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 19:37   #2
Samuel T. Cogley
Registered User
 
Samuel T. Cogley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 7,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD2 View Post
What does anyone else notice in rural Ireland?

The smell!
Samuel T. Cogley is offline  
12-01-2019, 19:37   #3
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,960
L plates are a magnet to cops, even more so now that the Clancy amendment is law it means automatic seizure if the vehicle of a learner is caught driving alone, with the L plates up it is advertising it.

Last edited by Deckard Shaw; 12-01-2019 at 19:46.
Emely Disgusting Galaxy is offline  
12-01-2019, 19:38   #4
Jimbob1977
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,616
If they have removed their L plates and get caught, the sanction should be doubled.

I still see a good few on the motorway, but it's impossible to tell if it's the L driver or another fully licenced family member.
Jimbob1977 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 19:42   #5
driver02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 85
Any one think the RTÉ ad on L Drivers is a bit harsh
driver02 is offline  
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 19:45   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver02 View Post
Any one think the RTÉ ad on L Drivers is a bit harsh
The RSA ad featuring Noel Clancy? I honestly don't know what to make of it.
Emely Disgusting Galaxy is offline  
12-01-2019, 19:46   #7
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob1977 View Post
If they have removed their L plates and get caught, the sanction should be doubled.

I still see a good few on the motorway, but it's impossible to tell if it's the L driver or another fully licenced family member.
The road traffic laws here are too soft, we are the laughing stock of Europe on many area's including road traffic.
Emely Disgusting Galaxy is offline  
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 19:46   #8
driver02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 85
Very though on the other young driver involved in that tragic accident I feel.
driver02 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 19:48   #9
punisher5112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13,265
Drive like a tool expect a problem, leave phones down and concentrate on the job at hand which is to not drive like a tool.

Better training, taught in school and learn in all conditions such as day, night, rain and motorway.
punisher5112 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 19:49   #10
Charles Babbage
Registered User
 
Charles Babbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,782
Three things.
  • People should be prohibited from displaying L plates unless they are learners, this just complicates enforcement.
  • Insurance companies should be required to identify all vehicles insured for L drivers.
  • The Gardai should make a bit of an effort around colleges and the like where these people are known to hang out and publicly owned schools and colleges should prohibit the use of their carparks etc by unaccompanied drivers.

There is a dysfunctional culture here and it needs to be rooted out.
Charles Babbage is offline  
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 19:58   #11
Atlantic Dawn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 48,794
There's very few young people learning to drive, back when I learned around 20 years ago it would have been the majority of young people, now it's the minority with rising insurance costs.
Atlantic Dawn is offline  
12-01-2019, 19:58   #12
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Babbage View Post
Three things.
  • People should be prohibited from displaying L plates unless they are learners, this just complicates enforcement.
  • Insurance companies should be required to identify all vehicles insured for L drivers.
  • The Gardai should make a bit of an effort around colleges and the like where these people are known to hang out and publicly owned schools and colleges should prohibit the use of their carparks etc by unaccompanied drivers.

There is a dysfunctional culture here and it needs to be rooted out.
What about the vehicles that display BOTH L & N plates at the same time, this should be illegal also.
Emely Disgusting Galaxy is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 19:58   #13
nox001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,050
I never put up L plates when I was on a provisional purely to stay under the radar. It’s very rarely you get asked for your license at a checkpoint normally once you have your discs in order you are just waved through but L plates re going to get you questioned without doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emely Disgusting Galaxy View Post
What about the vehicles with display BOTH L & N plates at the same time, this should be illegal also.
No it shouldn’t, idiotic rule is what it would be. Cars have multiple drivers, some full, some N and some L or a mix. In my opinion it’s not feasible to keep putting up and taking down plates for different drivers. It’s also pointless, so what if a full driver has L or N plates up etc.
nox001 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 20:00   #14
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
I never put up L plates when I was on a provisional purely to stay under the radar. It’s very rarely you get asked for your license at a checkpoint normally once you have your discs in order you are just waved through but L plates re going to get you questioned without doubt.
Had my L tabard on when riding the bike until recently, came across one checkpoint and i wasn't stopped, let alone checked for tax or insurance, now i know once documents are in order they can't seize a bike, but to not even check it when an L is clearing on display baffled me.
Emely Disgusting Galaxy is offline  
12-01-2019, 20:01   #15
Plumbthedepths
Registered User
 
Plumbthedepths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver02
Any one think the RTÉ ad on L Drivers is a bit harsh

No, it's hard hitting and that's the point.
Plumbthedepths is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet