Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-01-2019, 19:29   #1
LP64

Advice/help required. 09 Renault Laguna

Hi everyone. First of all apologies if this question don't belong here. Mods feel free to move it if necessary.

Ok. So i own an 09 Renault Laguna 1.5 Diesel Estate. I was driving the other day when the altenator belt broke. Got the car to my local garage where i get my service done to get the belt replaced. Got a call from them asking if i got the timing belt done has they have no record if it being done. i wasnt sure so i told them to get it done. Got a call 2 days later saying that i have a problem with the car. i go to the garage and the mechanic tells me that when the alternator belt broke. a piece of it must have gone into the cover of the timing belt or bend a pulley which made the timing belt to jump and bend some of the pistons. Now the car starts but its super sluggish and smokes likes crazy. the mechanics said to me is because the melange in the chamber is imbalanced or something and is causing the car to only run on 2 or 3 cylinders.

Now i'm not a mechanic or car enthusiast. I know nothing about car but i found it a bit suspicious.

Can anyone tell me if any of it is possible. i thought that in my car the timing belt was under a cover so i dont really know if its possible.

My neighbour told me that if they missed a teeth while putting the timing belt back its would creates similar results like a sluggish start and a lot of smoke has the fuel mix wouldnt be ok in the engine.

Would anyone be able to shed a bit of light on my predicament. the garage now tells me i need a new engine and i dont understand how i went from having a car that was working to have the fan/alternator belt broke and need replacing and replaced to needing a new engine.

All help or advice welcomed. thanks for your time. LP64

Last edited by LP64; 12-01-2019 at 19:33. Reason: typos
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 20:58   #2
colm_mcm

Was the car running perfectly when you dropped it in?

It is a known problem of the aux belt damaging the timing belt on that engine though.

It does sound like they made a balls of fitting the new belt.

Like did they change the belt?
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 21:33   #3
LP64

Thanks for getting back to me Colm.
The car was working fine prior to the fan/alternator belt braking. They changed it and the timing belt. Just lost for words i understand the timing belt braking the engine if it snaps but i dont see how the fan belt could cause this? I don't know anything about cars even less thats its a known issue.
12-01-2019, 21:37   #4
colm_mcm

Sounds very suspect. If none of those symptoms were there before the work was done, and if they fitted a new belt to an engine with obvious damage, then something isn’t adding up.
(2) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 21:39   #5
Lefty Bicek

The mechanic is giving you a story, which may or may not be true.

When I hear 'bent piston,' rather than 'bent valves', I'm wondering did you pick him up wrong ?

Also, 'melange' is the French word for 'mix'. Is he French ? Because I've never, ever heard a mechanic use that term for the air/fuel mix.

There are other reasons why that failure could have occurred due to human error in the fitting of a replacement belt.

Was everything tightened up properly ? Timing marks aligned ok after engine turned over manually ? Were tensioners checked, and replaced if necessary ? Belt on right way around ?

If I felt strongly enough about it, I'd get a second opinion.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 21:41   #6
dense

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP64 View Post
Thanks for getting back to me Colm.
The car was working fine prior to the fan/alternator belt braking. They changed it and the timing belt. Just lost for words i understand the timing belt braking the engine if it snaps but i dont see how the fan belt could cause this? I don't know anything about cars even less thats its a known issue.
How was it running on the way TO the garage?
With just the broken alternator belt?
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 21:45   #7
colm_mcm

Quote:
. Got a call from them asking if i got the timing belt done has they have no record if it being done. i
This bit is the most suspect. If the damage was there, this question wouldn’t even need to be asked.
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 21:54   #8
Lefty Bicek

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
This bit is the most suspect. If the damage was there, this question wouldn’t even need to be asked.
Especially if that kind of possible damage is a known problem, would it not make sense to double-check a new belt by rotating the engine, checking the pulleys and timing marks ?
14-01-2019, 15:31   #9
LP64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Bicek View Post
The mechanic is giving you a story, which may or may not be true.

When I hear 'bent piston,' rather than 'bent valves', I'm wondering did you pick him up wrong ?

Also, 'melange' is the French word for 'mix'. Is he French ? Because I've never, ever heard a mechanic use that term for the air/fuel mix.

There are other reasons why that failure could have occurred due to human error in the fitting of a replacement belt.

Was everything tightened up properly ? Timing marks aligned ok after engine turned over manually ? Were tensioners checked, and replaced if necessary ? Belt on right way around ?

If I felt strongly enough about it, I'd get a second opinion.
Thanks for your input. i'm french so thats me using melange term. it could be bent valve i might have picked it up wrong to be honest.

defo thinking about getting a second opinion. the car was working fine when i dropped it
Advertisement
14-01-2019, 15:32   #10
LP64

With just the broken alternator belt?[/quote]

the car was driving fine when the belt broke i didnt drive it over 30 and kept it at low rev.
14-01-2019, 15:36   #11
LP64

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
Quote:
. Got a call from them asking if i got the timing belt done has they have no record if it being done. i
in your opinion would they have spotted the damage before changing the timing belt if it had been there? if the problem was there would they still have changed the timimg belt? also whats the chance of the mechanic creating the problem by changing the belt?. thanks for your help
14-01-2019, 15:38   #12
Gravelly

Quote:
Quote:
the car was driving fine when the belt broke i didnt drive it over 30 and kept it at low rev.
There's your answer - if the timing belt was damaged when the alternator belt broke, it would have began to run badly (or not at all) immediately. If the car was running fine until it got to the garage, then it sounds like they either mistimed it when fitting the belt, or the belt got damaged in the garage after being fitted.
14-01-2019, 15:52   #13
LP64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelly View Post
Quote:
Quote:
There's your answer - if the timing belt was damaged when the alternator belt broke, it would have began to run badly (or not at all) immediately. If the car was running fine until it got to the garage, then it sounds like they either mistimed it when fitting the belt, or the belt got damaged in the garage after being fitted.
the car was running fine so i dont know where to go from there. should i pay them and get a second opinion?
14-01-2019, 15:55   #14
Gravelly

Quote:
the car was running fine so i dont know where to go from there. should i pay them and get a second opinion?
I wouldn't be paying them until I'm clear they didn't do the damage, and it sounds to me like they could have. I'd have a talk, and ask how come the car was running fine when it was left at their premises. If possible, bring someone that knows cars with you.
Thanks from:
14-01-2019, 16:42   #15
LP64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelly View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't be paying them until I'm clear they didn't do the damage, and it sounds to me like they could have. I'd have a talk, and ask how come the car was running fine when it was left at their premises. If possible, bring someone that knows cars with you.
thanks for your help. the thing is they are not gonna admit they made any damage and i cant take it away to get a second opinion without paying. i am reluctant to give them any money.

i'm 100% sure the car was fine when i dropped it. except the broken laternator belt. so my question if the problem was there qould they have changed the timing belt? if the problem wasnt there and they changed the belt how do i found out if they messed it up? again thanks for the help

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion