Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-01-2019, 18:44   #1
ofcork

Jaguar Land Rover cutting 4500 jobs in UK, Ford cutting jobs in Europe

Big news from the uk during the week jlr cutting 4500 jobs in the uk alone and ford cutting jobs in Europe slow down in sales in a lot of markets also china.
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 19:10   #2
rivegauche

Brexit is like pneumonia or MRSA. You might be suffering with something else but they'll be what finish you off.
Both companies have their distinct problems(China for JLR and poor model line-up for Ford) but BREXIT is pushing management over the line to pull the trigger.
Vauxhall ex GM plants are being wound down as quickly as PSA management can do it politically.
Ford lost a transmission plant in the UK in this round. It isn't as though they are loosing out to low cost countries because they can't give away the Ka and Ecosport. Fiesta and Focus both went to Germany and are ticking away nicely.
12-01-2019, 19:14   #3
Isambard

Ford didn't build cars in the UK for many years.
12-01-2019, 19:15   #4
rivegauche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
Ford didn't build cars in the UK for many years.
That is not the point I'm making and if I know that powertrain/transmission plant is being shut down then you should understand that.
12-01-2019, 19:22   #5
Arthur Daley

There had been talk of some steep discounts available on an XJ in the UK recently.

Brexit may have been a factor, but it is the third of three reasons given by JLR. It isn't so much that there are job losses that amount 10% of the workforce, it is the situation where it is difficult to know how or when the jobs being lost here would be coming back to the midlands.

Last edited by Arthur Daley; 12-01-2019 at 19:25.
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 19:25   #6
theteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivegauche View Post
Brexit is like pneumonia or MRSA. You might be suffering with something else but they'll be what finish you off.
Both companies have their distinct problems(China for JLR and poor model line-up for Ford) but BREXIT is pushing management over the line to pull the trigger.
Vauxhall ex GM plants are being wound down as quickly as PSA management can do it politically.
Ford lost a transmission plant in the UK in this round. It isn't as though they are loosing out to low cost countries because they can't give away the Ka and Ecosport. Fiesta and Focus both went to Germany and are ticking away nicely.
No idea of official figures but to my anecdotal eyes they sell truck loads of ecosports over here
12-01-2019, 19:42   #7
rivegauche

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteal View Post
No idea of official figures but to my anecdotal eyes they sell truck loads of ecosports over here
where is here? It isn't where I am and carsalesbase.com says the captur is selling well between 100 and 150% more.
12-01-2019, 20:38   #8
colm_mcm

They sold 274 Ecosports here in 2018, Renault sold 1578 Capturs and Toyota sold 2505 CHRs (the Toyota is a lot more expensive though) and Dacia sold 1957 Dusters (Same price bracket as eco sport)
Even the Opel Mokka which is dogdirt outsold the ecosport 3:1

I wouldn’t be basing anything on ecosport sales, it’s basically an Indian market car sold at a huge margin and is just being used to tick a box in Fords lineup.
12-01-2019, 20:40   #9
theteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivegauche View Post
where is here? It isn't where I am and carsalesbase.com says the captur is selling well between 100 and 150% more.
UK, Essex. Although I pickup on some weird Ford loyalty from older generations over here (I think) due to Dagenham not being a million miles away where lots would have had family work
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 21:37   #10
Isambard

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
They sold 274 Ecosports here in 2018, Renault sold 1578 Capturs and Toyota sold 2505 CHRs (the Toyota is a lot more expensive though) and Dacia sold 1957 Dusters (Same price bracket as eco sport)

I wouldn’t be basing anything on ecosport sales, it’s basically an Indian market car sold at a huge margin and is just being used to tick a box in Fords lineup.
can I ask what experience you have of the Mokka?
12-01-2019, 21:41   #11
colm_mcm

Quote:
I drove 2 versions of it at an Opel launch and had one as a rental. It’s seriously outdated at this stage. I was probsbky a bit harsh on it there, but my point is that it was nowhere near a class leader 5 years ago, and has the Crossland X to compete with within the Opel brand, but still manages to vastly outsell the ecosport.
12-01-2019, 21:57   #12
Philb76

Quote:
Quote:

There was a major thread about opel here recently that will answer any questions i drove one once and hopefully never again anyway jlr they wer doing nicely until the diesel scandal love the xf seriously tempting second hand in the uk
12-01-2019, 22:06   #13
Isambard

Quote:
I drove 2 versions of it at an Opel launch and had one as a rental. It’s seriously outdated at this stage. I was probsbky a bit harsh on it there, but my point is that it was nowhere near a class leader 5 years ago, and has the Crossland X to compete with within the Opel brand, but still manages to vastly outsell the ecosport.
thought so.
12-01-2019, 22:34   #14
George Dalton

Quote:

Good post. I’m no Mokka fan but I’d have one every day of the week over an Ecosport or a Duster.
13-01-2019, 10:29   #15
biko
Arbiter

Quote:
Jaguar Land Rover to slash 4,500 jobs as part of £2.5bn plan to reverse losses
The British carmaker has been hit by falling sales in China, waning demand for diesel cars and Brexit uncertainty.
https://news.sky.com/story/jaguar-la...osses-11603631

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion