Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2019, 12:56   #31
StereoSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreire View Post
Yes Toyotafanboi, you are right. I was in a VAG dealership the other day as a car transporter was unloading, all the unloaded cars were UK imports, and they joined the many others already on the site. So I presume that other dealerships are doing the same thing too in order to survive.
I see this every day, truck loads of UK imports on the N7 going to whatever dealer who brought them in.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 13:01   #32
Mc Love

Bought my last car from a Ford Dealership - guess what? Car was an import!
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 13:15   #33
Old diesel

My reaction to this is that on a wider level Nissan are a bunch of plums - and will lose to the Koreans etc as a result. Crap happens.

On the SUV focused thing someone mentioned - they still make saloons outside Europe - for example the Altima and Maxima are offered in the US.

However inspite of making some decent cars like the 1st and 2nd Gen Primera they struggled to develop any positive image in the saloon/hatchback scene in the pre Quasqui era.

They struggled with issues like bland styling - styling is quite a big thing.

20 to 25 years ago you could have a Primera eGT/GT which was for those in the know considered a fabulous machine to drive for a family saloon. But it looked like the boring 2 litre diesel taxi you hopped in the back off after a night out.

The modern Quasqui has the modern hugely desirable styling - but not the stand out drive of a Primera GT. This fits the customer of 2019 prefectly.

Quasqui was and is a big success for them - so why make a saloon that no one wants when you can actually make your crossover a household name.
11-01-2019, 16:49   #34
chicorytip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotafanboi
To me, this is only Nissan panicking because their product line up is ****e. If they didn't have the Qashqai, they'd have folded here a long time ago IMO. I know the Leaf does ok for itself but it isn't enough to carry the brand. The Pulsar, Micra, Juke and whatever else they sell are mostly rubbish, when added to the reputation for poor quality that there 2000's onwards stuff has, why would anyone buy one? The whole BOGOF thing they are doing now really screams of desperation too.

Each of the models you mention are very good cars, at least the equal of similar type vehicles made by the likes of Hyundai, Ford, Peugeot and Renault.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 17:13   #35
Arthur Daley

Big number of these Nissans are built in the Sunderland plant.

They lost their way and were not playing to their strengths from the late 90s onwards, but the latest Micra has them back in the game in that segment.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 21:01   #36
road_high

I didnt think Nissan had lost their way too much- the Quoshqui is still the default crossover (think it’s no 3 in sales).
Though as other makers have managed to integrate more premium feel into their cars (Peugeot and Opel for example) Nissan haven’t really. The last Micra was in fact the opposite and didn’t work even at a low price. That’s part of the issue, their fit and finish has been decidedly average in a world where interiors and exteriors matter.
They used have a great name for reliability but they burned this with a serious of flawed cars. Rivals Toyota held onto theirs
11-01-2019, 21:17   #37
Cee-Jay-Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old diesel View Post
My reaction to this is that on a wider level Nissan are a bunch of plums - and will lose to the Koreans etc as a result. Crap happens.

On the SUV focused thing someone mentioned - they still make saloons outside Europe - for example the Altima and Maxima are offered in the US.

However inspite of making some decent cars like the 1st and 2nd Gen Primera they struggled to develop any positive image in the saloon/hatchback scene in the pre Quasqui era.

They struggled with issues like bland styling - styling is quite a big thing.

20 to 25 years ago you could have a Primera eGT/GT which was for those in the know considered a fabulous machine to drive for a family saloon. But it looked like the boring 2 litre diesel taxi you hopped in the back off after a night out.

The modern Quasqui has the modern hugely desirable styling - but not the stand out drive of a Primera GT. This fits the customer of 2019 prefectly.

Quasqui was and is a big success for them - so why make a saloon that no one wants when you can actually make your crossover a household name.
Because believe it or not, not everyone wants a Qaashqai and many many people still buy saloons. I drive saloons and always will, I will never ever drive a cross-over and many many other people are the same.
11-01-2019, 21:22   #38
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotafanboi View Post
I don't know. Every day of the week on here there is someone harping "Ireland is the dumping ground for the ageing diesels the UK doesn't want", that "the UK is ahead of the emissions game and fobbing off it's tired diesels on poor old Paddy".

Now someone wants to ban it and that's not good either?

If we're going to go so deep with the self wallowing, lets at least try to keep a consistent theme.

To be fair, I said it in another thread a few weeks back but the days of "Paddy spec" ended 10-15 years ago. Virtually everybody wants technology and creature comforts in cars now.

To me, this is only Nissan panicking because their product line up is ****e. If they didn't have the Qashqai, they'd have folded here a long time ago IMO. I know the Leaf does ok for itself but it isn't enough to carry the brand. The Pulsar, Micra, Juke and whatever else they sell are mostly rubbish, when added to the reputation for poor quality that there 2000's onwards stuff has, why would anyone buy one? The whole BOGOF thing they are doing now really screams of desperation too.

I have mentioned about the UK dumping old diesels and its true. I don't think anyone wants UK imports to stop. They want diesel imports to slow down. So increase the VRT on diesel import. So the only reason you would go for a diesel is if you really are doing the mileage to warrant a diesel.....fairly simple suggestion

In terms of Nissan, they are number 9 in the top 10 manufacturers in the World. Not too shabby to be honest.

Other manufacturers are coming out with simiar, Ford recently wanted Ireland to change our tax system to suit their cars because they can't get them down to the correct level.

It is funny people go on about Paddy spec etc, bu Dacia's etc are filling the roads around Ireland.....dealers would not bring in the Paddy Spec if they didn't sell them......
11-01-2019, 21:29   #39
Yer Da sells Avon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotafanboi View Post
The Pulsar, Micra, Juke and whatever else they sell are mostly rubbish
The Pulsar is old-fashioned and the Juke is an acquired taste, but the current Micra is absolutely not rubbish.
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 21:30   #40
bazz26

The Pulsar was discontinued a few months back.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 21:30   #41
Atlantic Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreire View Post
Yes Toyotafanboi, you are right. I was in a VAG dealership the other day as a car transporter was unloading, all the unloaded cars were UK imports, and they joined the many others already on the site. So I presume that other dealerships are doing the same thing too in order to survive.

Toyota/Lexus main dealers at this too, lots of them bringing in hybrids direct from the UK that have come back from lease/PCP deals.
11-01-2019, 21:39   #42
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yer Da sells Avon View Post
The Pulsar is old-fashioned and the Juke is an acquired taste, but the current Micra is absolutely not rubbish.
The Juke needs to be replaced. It’s out since 2011. Must be out soon surely.
I thought the Pulsar was selling reasonably here but mustn’t have been worth it financially.
11-01-2019, 21:53   #43
Old diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
The Juke needs to be replaced. It’s out since 2011. Must be out soon surely.
I thought the Pulsar was selling reasonably here but mustn’t have been worth it financially.
Pulsar struggled elsewhere - I remember reading some article a good while back about the production ending and the article outlined some dreadful sales figures on a European wide basis.

It's like the way people are wondering from an Irish prospective "why did they end Avensis and diesel production" but outside Ireland an Avensis diesel is outdated as a concept.

They sold 993 Pulsars last year and tbh I wonder who bought them.

You can understand why someone would buy into a brand new Almera in 1996 as they consider they were buying into excellent reliability reputation built up from the Bluebird and Sunny days.

But that's not in play with 2019 Nissan
11-01-2019, 22:04   #44
Old diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee-Jay-Cee View Post
Because believe it or not, not everyone wants a Qaashqai and many many people still buy saloons. I drive saloons and always will, I will never ever drive a cross-over and many many other people are the same.
Tbh I have wondered how the Maxima would do in Europe. But I don't think it has the qualities to shake up the saloon market.

The US Altima looks a nice car but the road tests I've seen in the states feature CVTs and 2.0 turbo petrols.

Not a great combo for Europe
11-01-2019, 22:23   #45
The Rape of Lucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicxas View Post
Some Paddy that just wants the reg plate and nothing else.
Paddy is extraordinarily superficial in his car desires. Year. Then brand. He would drive a hollow shell with wooden benches if it still looked OK from the outside.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion