Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2019, 23:30   #16
Eric Cartman

So you have a 3 year old santa fe thats never been back to a main dealer for any servicing or inspection and possibly maintained with after market parts by an indy and you bought it off another indy yet expect the local hyundai garage thats never even seen the car to go through hoops to book it in for a long warranty job at the busiest time of the year for car sales and annual services.

Id suggest try another dealer but don't expect them to bend over backwards.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 23:34   #17
Hellrazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skihunta13 View Post
There is 64,000 km on the vehicle.
1 st service at 29,000 and 2nd at 57,000.
Vehicle was not inspected by hyundai while we had it.
All service parts are of equal qualty and full service history.
How do you know they are of equal quality?
This is for a dealer to inspect and report on.
You`d want to see the **** filters I see fitted on some cars that customers expect to be covered under warranty.
Ive seen services on 1 and 2 year old cars carried out for €49 euros--how in gods name can that be good quality oil and filters??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotafanboi View Post
This is it. People do their level best to avoid main dealers, car was bought independent and serviced independent but now there is an issue it needs to be the dealers top priority. Specially when a car is reasonably new, buying from a dealer or servicing with a dealer and having a rapport can pay dividends in a scenario like this (which is all too common).

Im all for cheaper servicing costs but as you say if someone wants a quick turn around time on a warranty repair then Im going to give priority to someone I see every year for their service or annual inspection. Im not going to jump for someone whos car hasn't seen the inside of my workshop since the car left the showroom. Theyre usually the ones demanding a fast turn around.
I personally can never understand why someone whos car is still inside its warranty period doesn't go back to a main dealer for servicing work.
Yep its more expensive but its well worth it when something goes wrong.

Quote:
Warranty work just isn't lucrative in most cases. They obviously aren't sold about taking your job on at what could quite likely be a loss. They've noting much to lose by attempting to brush you off.
Especially this time of year when last years 181 cars are all due servicing and are full retail priced jobs @ whatever the retail rate is. Warranty rates could be 50% less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
That’s all well and good but the OPs car is still under warranty, which Hyundai Ireland are on the hook for.
Only if the servicing fulfils the warranty requirements.
Whats to say the dealer takes the car in and discovers the oil is the crappiest oil you can buy or the filter is the cheapest filter you can get. Hyundai aren't on the hook then-the customer is.

Ive had warranty claims refused because the car was serviced in {insert big brand name independent here} because the quality of the parts fitted couldn't be determined.

Quote:
Their dealer network are the only ones who can do the work. There’s shades of ‘you should have gone to the main dealer if you wanted your warranty honoured’ about your post.
I think this is the exact point Colm. People are trying to save maybe 50-60 euros in servicing costs but that saving is worthless when something goes wrong.
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 23:46   #18
Flyer29

Hi OP,

Did the dealer explain to you why the issue wasn’t covered under warranty?

As someone who’s worked in a main dealers I saw this type of stuff all the time. It’s very easy to throw out sweeping statements like ‘the dealer has no interest in helping the customer’ or whatever. But that might simply not be the case

If the dealer has said it’s not covered then maybe there’s good reason for this. In this case, considering that it’s a timing chain that’s giving trouble, the service history is absolutely vital.

One man’s ‘full service history’ is often pure rubbish to another man. Ive had hand written receipts handed to me to help towards warranty
claims that consist of stuff like ‘full service carried out, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, oil x 5 litres’

This is not a service history and doesn’t prove to the manufacturer or anybody else that the car has been properly maintained.

I’m not taking any sides in this particular case but all I’m saying is that before I tell anybody that something is or isn’t covered under warranty I make sure I’ve crossed my T’s and dotted my I’s because I don’t want anything coming back on me.

That being said, This isn’t a post about how you should always service with the dealership. I’ve had plenty of service history’s handed up to me from reputable independent garages on headed paper with everything clearly listed including the most important component of all, the oil, the grade of oil, which brand of oil was used, how much oil was used etc and I’ve happily submitted it knowing it would well support a warranty claim.

If your service history is of good quality and the dealership has still decided to tell you the chain is not covered then in this case I would avoid this dealer like the plague and make the long journey to another dealership who want to help you.

Ringing the manufacture will achieve little to nothing as they will always tell you that it is up to the inspecting dealership to determine whether something is covered under warranty or not.

Hope you get sorted one way or the other!
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 00:11   #19
Skihunta13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
So you have a 3 year old santa fe thats never been back to a main dealer for any servicing or inspection and possibly maintained with after market parts by an indy and you bought it off another indy yet expect the local hyundai garage thats never even seen the car to go through hoops to book it in for a long warranty job at the busiest time of the year for car sales and annual services.

Id suggest try another dealer but don't expect them to bend over backwards.
Should i not be expecting hyundai to cover a vehicle well within its warranty on a vehicle that was purchased for €28 grand.
Just to repeat myself, the warranty is not the issue here as confirmed by hyundai ireland. They have asked their questions and are not arguing warraty even though it was not serviced by hyundai.
The local dealer was satisfied with vehicle service record but just stated that timing chains are not covered under warranty. I will need to confirm this with hyundai ireland.
10-01-2019, 00:23   #20
Flyer29

Hyundai will honor it if the dealership tells them the issue with the chain is due to a manufacturing defect and that the service history provided is adequate to support that the car has been properly maintained.

If the dealership really did state that ‘timing chains aren’t covered’ full stop then this simply is not true. Anything can be warranty so long as the issue was caused by a manufacturing defect.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 00:45   #21
Skihunta13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer29 View Post
Hyundai will honor it if the dealership tells them the issue with the chain is due to a manufacturing defect and that the service history provided is adequate to support that the car has been properly maintained.

If the dealership really did state that ‘timing chains aren’t covered’ full stop then this simply is not true. Anything can be warranty so long as the issue was caused by a manufacturing defect.
Yeah as previous poster said they just dont want to do it.
Not much incentive for me to do business with them when im trading up next year.
10-01-2019, 01:08   #22
Del2005

Quote:
Should i not be expecting hyundai to cover a vehicle well within its warranty on a vehicle that was purchased for €28 grand.
Just to repeat myself, the warranty is not the issue here as confirmed by hyundai ireland. They have asked their questions and are not arguing warraty even though it was not serviced by hyundai.
The local dealer was satisfied with vehicle service record but just stated that timing chains are not covered under warranty. I will need to confirm this with hyundai ireland.
The independent dealer is the person you need to deal with. The vehicle has developed a fault and its up to them to resolve under the sale of goods and supply of services act. As you have discovered a warranty can be useless, the sale of goods act isn't.
10-01-2019, 01:12   #23
Skihunta13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del2005 View Post
The independent dealer is the person you need to deal with. The vehicle has developed a fault and its up to them to resolve under the sale of goods and supply of services act. As you have discovered a warranty can be useless, the sale of goods act isn't.
Its over a year since we bought it. In all fairness its not their fault, its the fault of hyundai and they are honoring there warranty. It’s disappointing that a dealer can be so petty and short sighted.
10-01-2019, 03:50   #24
Eric Cartman

Quote:
The coverage is not the issue, but the service dept is in their busiest season and you arent currently a hyundai customer, if it was a garage you had a relationship with they may make you a priority, but youre asking a dealer who has never met you before to occupy a lift for 2-3 days easy with your car to do work that is at the bottom of the profitability scale during their busiest time , not only dissapointing their re occuring customers but they probably think you wont be back. Theyve given you a time frame that puts your car in after theyve gone quiet and I expect youll get that response from other dealers too.

They do not think youre likely to ourchase a car from them or service it there in the future so have made you the lowest priority.
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 09:12   #25
swarlb

This is a very simple explanation of the warranty process from the dealers point of view.
Up to a certain value, lets say €500, the dealer can go ahead with work if they are happy it's warranty. For example an electric window stops working. The dealer will go through the prescribed steps to determine the cause, and replace or repair whatever is necessary. The steps are recorded with Hyundai in accordance with warranty guidelines, the claim is submitted with warranty, along with any old parts (if required). Hyundai will pass the claim and the dealer will get paid.
It could take a month or more from the time the dealer submits the claim till they get paid by the manufacturer.
For values greater than €500 they have to submit a PWA (pre works authorisation) to Hyundai. In effect, they have to go through all the steps to determine if warranty is valid, except they are not actually repairing till they get the go ahead from Hyundai.
So in this case, they may have to strip various parts of the engine, to assess any damage, and to see what parts are required to repair the car.
They then have to submit all this to Hyundai, who may or may not pass the claim. Hyundai may send one their own warranty technician to the dealer to check for themselves.
After all this Hyundai may reject the claim, in which case the dealer is left with a partly dismantled vehicle, and a disgruntled customer, and no way of recouping any monies for time spent.
It's nothing to do with not wanting to help the customer, or fobbing them off, or not wanting to honour the warranty. It's simple economics. The time involved for the dealer, between workshop hours, and time spent processing claims, in this instance, is simply not worth it.
As I mentioned in my previous post, go to Hyundai, and make a complaint. As your car is still under manufacturers warranty they are under an obligation to help.
Get them to advise you what dealer to go to, and get a contact name, and hound them both till you get satisfaction.
(4) thanks from:
10-01-2019, 09:12   #26
Del2005

Quote:
Its over a year since we bought it. In all fairness its not their fault, its the fault of hyundai and they are honoring there warranty. It’s disappointing that a dealer can be so petty and short sighted.
Why do think its not the responsibility of someone you gave nearly €30k to after a year?

It's not their fault, but it is their responsibility to fix it. That's the cost of running a business selling to consumers in this country.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 09:22   #27
swarlb

Quote:
Why do think its not the responsibility of someone you gave nearly €30k to after a year?

It's not their fault, but it is their responsibility to fix it. That's the cost of running a business selling to consumers in this country.
Because they did not sell a car that was faulty. If they did then they would be liable to repair the fault.
The fault manifested itself a long time after the car was purchased, and falls within the remit of manufacturers warranty.
As the selling dealer is not franchised to the brand of car, they have no obligation to honour the warranty.
That falls to a franchised dealer and/or the manufacturer.
10-01-2019, 09:22   #28
Toyotafanboi
Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
I don’t disagree with your post, no dealer is obliged to do the work tomorrow - But it’s a poor reflection on Hyindai Ireland. That said, it doesn’t look like the OP has tried multiple dealers.
From what I've seen, not just with this example but in general is that Hyundai Ireland don't care.

They aren't at a point in their brand where aftersales and customer retention through aftersales isn't a thing for them. Its still just about getting reg figures and vehicles on the road.

Their approach is exactly that of this thread. "Its under warranty, a dealer will see to it, time constraints are not really our concern, thats our minimum obligation covered and that's it", PFO, as they say.

A good point by Del there tbh, the independent dealer who sold to the OP must have an obligation here. Why is nobody in touch with them? Sure Hyundai through a dealer is the path of least resistance but surely OP's independent dealer has to do something if pushed.

Last edited by Toyotafanboi; 10-01-2019 at 09:26.
10-01-2019, 09:42   #29
Skihunta13

Quote:

Why is it not the responsibility of hyundai who got nearly €50 grand for the car 2 years ago. Is this not what a manufacturer warranty is? It is a manufacturing default.
10-01-2019, 09:57   #30
Toyotafanboi
Quote:
Why is it not the responsibility of hyundai who got nearly €50 grand for the car 2 years ago. Is this not what a manufacturer warranty is? It is a manufacturing default.
It's not, not their responsibility to deal with it and to be fair they have said it's covered by their warranty. The problem with you (no offence) is you don't want to wait and the problem with the Hyundai dealer is that neither you, nor the person you bought the car from, gave them €50k for it 2 years ago, so it's back of the que for this job. Neither of those things are really Hyundai Irelands issue.

His point is, you paid a motor dealer for this car. That motor dealer, regardless of not being a franchise carrying dealer has a responsibility to you to ensure the car is fit for purpose, regardless of Hyundais stance on anything. The deal was between you and your dealer, you are their customer and they have to make sure the car stays ok, within a reasonable timeframe, regardless of the manufacturer.

How can that dealer take 30k or whatever figure from you and as soon as you are out his front gate have no further obligation to the vehicle? That's not how it works, there's not much precedent for anything different though as people either aren't aware of that or aren't willing to pursue it.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion