Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2019, 20:05   #1
Skihunta13

Hyundai Santa Fe warranty issue

I hope i have this in the correct place. We purchased a 2016 hyundai santa fe over 12 months ago from an independant dealer. In the last couple of weeks an engine noise has developed when the vehicle is idling. I brought it to our local hyundai dealer ( vehicle was not purchased here) who at a quick look suspects the noise is coming from the timing chain. I do think he is correct on this.
However they do not seem to be interested in fixing it as a warranty claim as they are booked out for 10 weeks in advance and “it is not their issue”.Their advice is to bring it back to the independent dealer or the hyundai dealer where the original owner purchased the vehicle and that the timing chain is not covered under warranty and advised of a cost if €1,500 to repair.
I did contact hyundai ireland prior to this who confirmed the vehicle is under warranty and i can go to any hyundai dealer to get issue fixed. They also stated that they have no control over how quickly the dealers fixes the issue.
The hyundai dealer who sold the vehicle as new is down the country so it is not practical to bring it to them.
I suppose what im looking for is how should i proceed to have this fixed and what happens if the timing chain breaks in the meantime?
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 20:20   #2
rex-x

You need to work out a few things:

What is the mileage?
Where has the car been serviced and at what mileages?
Has the car had its annual inspections by Hyundai required to keep warranty intact?
Were any repairs or services carried out using non genuine parts?

These questions will be key to getting warranty cover. Hyundai/Kia dealerships do generally have long wait times for service but it does sound like the first garage have no interest in helping you.
09-01-2019, 20:35   #3
Skihunta13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex-x View Post
You need to work out a few things:

What is the mileage?
Where has the car been serviced and at what mileages?
Has the car had its annual inspections by Hyundai required to keep warranty intact?
Were any repairs or services carried out using non genuine parts?
These questions will be key to getting warranty cover. Hyundai/Kia dealerships do generally have long wait times for service but it does sound like the first garage have no interest in helping you.
Hi thanks for your reply, hyundai have confirmed the vehicle is covered under warranty pending inspection by hyundai dealer but the local hyundai dealers seem interested as it was not purchased there. Would the timing chain be a warranty item?
Is there anything i could say to hyundai ireland to make the local dealer fix it?
09-01-2019, 20:50   #4
rex-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skihunta13 View Post
Hi thanks for your reply, hyundai have confirmed the vehicle is covered under warranty pending inspection by hyundai dealer but the local hyundai dealers seem interested as it was not purchased there. Would the timing chain be a warranty item?
Is there anything i could say to hyundai ireland to make the local dealer fix it?
What they are saying is the vehicle is still within its warranty period BUT if car not serviced correctly/ inspections not done etc they may still refuse any warranty cover. Timing chain is a warranty item but only if you have the right answers to all questions i asked above.

There is nothing you can do to speed matters up really other than try another dealership.

What are your answers to the questions out of curiosity?
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 21:16   #5
Skihunta13

Quote:
What they are saying is the vehicle is still within its warranty period BUT if car not serviced correctly/ inspections not done etc they may still refuse any warranty cover. Timing chain is a warranty item but only if you have the right answers to all questions i asked above.

There is nothing you can do to speed matters up really other than try another dealership.

What are your answers to the questions out of curiosity?
There is 64,000 km on the vehicle.
1 st service at 29,000 and 2nd at 57,000.
Vehicle was not inspected by hyundai while we had it.
All service parts are of equal qualty and full service history.
Hyundai ireland were only interested in service history, registration number and parts quality before confirming the vehicle has an active warranty.

Do dealers get paid by hyundai for warranty claims? The way they carry on you think they do it for nothing.
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 21:26   #6
rex-x

Quote:
There is 64,000 km on the vehicle.
1 st service at 29,000 and 2nd at 57,000.
Vehicle was not inspected by hyundai while we had it.
All service parts are of equal qualty and full service history.
Hyundai ireland were only interested in service history, registration number and parts quality before confirming the vehicle has an active warranty.

Do dealers get paid by hyundai for warranty claims? The way they carry on you think they do it for nothing.
You may face some resistance given the vehicle history but you may also be ok.
30k services (although recommended by Hyundai) are madness and post fix I would recommend reducing that to 15k if you want to avoid similar issues again.

Dealers do get paid for warranty work but depending on the brand it can pay very poorly and if they are already fully booked with high paying service work etc it would cost them money to take on a long poorly paying repair job under warranty like a timing chain.

Additionally because you didn't buy the car from them or even a main dealer they don't feel they owe you anything and you have no rapport to help your case.

Keep pressure on is all you can do really.
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 21:31   #7
Skihunta13

Quote:
You may face some resistance given the vehicle history but you may also be ok.
30k services (although recommended by Hyundai) are madness and post fix I would recommend reducing that to 15k if you want to avoid similar issues again.

Dealers do get paid for warranty work but depending on the brand it can pay very poorly and if they are already fully booked with high paying service work etc it would cost them money to take on a long poorly paying repair job under warranty like a timing chain.

Additionally because you didn't buy the car from them or even a main dealer they don't feel they owe you anything and you have no rapport to help your case.

They actually have no interest in doing it. They wouldn’t even book it in for 10 weeks time. Told me to go to a different dealer about 90 mins drive away.
What happens if the chain breaks in the meantime? Would that be covered under warranty considering i know there is an issue with the chain.
09-01-2019, 21:38   #8
rex-x

Quote:
They actually have no interest in doing it. They wouldn’t even book it in for 10 weeks time. Told me to go to a different dealer about 90 mins drive away.
What happens if the chain breaks in the meantime? Would that be covered under warranty considering i know there is an issue with the chain.
Now you know there is an issue any further damage will be on you. If it breaks it will ruin the engine pretty catastrophicly so if you have such concerns it shouldn't be driven at all.

That dealer clearly doesn't want the job so maybe effort is best spent trying another dealer? Even if they are further afield.
09-01-2019, 21:40   #9
Skihunta13

Quote:
Now you know there is an issue any further damage will be on you. If it breaks it will ruin the engine pretty catastrophicly so if you have such concerns it shouldn't be driven at all.

That dealer clearly doesn't want the job soaybe effort is best spent trying another dealer? Even if they are further afield.
Im hardly expected to do without the vehicle for 10 weeks?? Whats the point in a warranty?
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 21:43   #10
rex-x

Quote:
Im hardly expected to do without the vehicle for 10 weeks?? Whats the point in a warranty?
It's the same with anything, a phone, laptop etc. It's a case of do without until repaired.

Even when the dealership take in the car it could be weeks before they get the job done if parts are delayed etc and they are not obliged to provide a courtesy car.

Warrantys are great and everything but they are not a magic wand.

Best thing you can do is ring all closest dealerships, be nice and try and get the best deal you can with regards timeframe, courtesy car etc
09-01-2019, 21:58   #11
swarlb

The car may still be in warranty, but there is no onus on any dealership to carry out the work, except the dealer that originally sold the car.
The reason is simple....it's simply not worth the time involved.
Let's say for argument sake that a particular dealer charges €100 an hour labour.
Hyundai may only pay the dealer €50 an hour.
I've no idea how long it takes to change a timing chain on this particular car, but lets say for argument sake it's about a full day, 8 hours.
Hyundai might only allow 4 hours to complete the job.
No dealer is going to tie up a mechanic, and lose money at the same time.
Also take into account if they were charging for the job, it would include the profit from parts involved.
Warranty parts are usually charged at net, so no gain there either.

Warranty is all very well and good.... til you have to avail of it.

The original selling dealer may be far away, but they are the only place that you can demand they do the work... PROVIDING the car fulfils the warranty criteria.

All Hyundai will do it repeat the mantra... "Bring it to your local dealer"

Best case scenario, get Hyundai to recommend a dealer by name, get the name of the service manager, and hound both the dealer and Hyundai.

Good luck with the result.
09-01-2019, 22:13   #12
colm_mcm

Quote:
The original selling dealer may be far away, but they are the only place that you can demand they do the work
They have no more obligation to the OP than the other dealer.
09-01-2019, 22:33   #13
Toyotafanboi
Quote:

This is it. People do their level best to avoid main dealers, car was bought independent and serviced independent but now there is an issue it needs to be the dealers top priority. Specially when a car is reasonably new, buying from a dealer or servicing with a dealer and having a rapport can pay dividends in a scenario like this (which is all too common).

Warranty work just isn't lucrative in most cases. They obviously aren't sold about taking your job on at what could quite likely be a loss. They've noting much to lose by attempting to brush you off.

Your best bet is to make the booking for 10 weeks time, use the car as little as possible and be ringing other dealers in the mean time looking for a better date. While no dealer is obliged to look at your ar quickly, they are all obliged by the franchise to look at your car, they can't refuse to take you in, but it'll have to suit their booking schedule.
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 22:55   #14
colm_mcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotafanboi View Post
This is it. People do their level best to avoid main dealers, car was bought independent and serviced independent but now there is an issue it needs to be the dealers top priority. Specially when a car is reasonably new, buying from a dealer or servicing with a dealer and having a rapport can pay dividends in a scenario like this (which is all too common).

Warranty work just isn't lucrative in most cases. They obviously aren't sold about taking your job on at what could quite likely be a loss. They've noting much to lose by attempting to brush you off.

Your best bet is to make the booking for 10 weeks time, use the car as little as possible and be ringing other dealers in the mean time looking for a better date. While no dealer is obliged to look at your ar quickly, they are all obliged by the franchise to look at your car, they can't refuse to take you in, but it'll have to suit their booking schedule.
That’s all well and good but the OPs car is still under warranty, which Hyundai Ireland are on the hook for. Their dealer network are the only ones who can do the work. There’s shades of ‘you should have gone to the main dealer if you wanted your warranty honoured’ about your post.

I don’t disagree with your post, no dealer is obliged to do the work tomorrow - But it’s a poor reflection on Hyindai Ireland. That said, it doesn’t look like the OP has tried multiple dealers.
09-01-2019, 23:22   #15
bazz26

I have a feeling the 10 week waiting time to book the car in was more a roundabout way of encouraging you to go somewhere else as they didn't want to be dealing with someone who didn't buy from them. Yes dealer workshops are genuinely busy but I do think there might be a bit of deliberate discouragement thrown in there for good measure especially when they refused to even book it in given the OP reluctantly accepted the 10 week lead time.

Personally I think there is a bit of sour grapes/begrudgery going on here from the dealer in question around working on a car that was not bought from them even though it's still under manufacturers warranty. Fine if they want to prioritize their own customers first but it stinks for refusing to even entertain the possibility of doing the work just because the car wasn't bought from them. Hyundai Ireland are not much better either imo just passing the buck, these distributors can certainly crack the whip with franchised dealers when they feel it's good PR for them.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion