Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-01-2019, 19:42   #31
colm_mcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
many people in Ireland buy paddy spec miserable yokes just to keep up with the Joneses and have a new reg.
Do they though, is it any significant percentage of new car buyers? Of course there’s no numbers for this sort of thing, but I’d have to disagree with this notion and say that that’s a lazy assumption.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-01-2019, 19:44   #32
ml100

Had a quick look at a new golf online, they've gone up nearly 5k since I looked a few years ago, when did the prices take such a jump, is it the new emission calculations?, I'll be keeping the one I have!
(2) thanks from:
01-01-2019, 19:48   #33
ba_barabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
Do they though, is it any significant percentage of new car buyers? Of course there’s no numbers for this sort of thing, but I’d have to disagree with this notion and say that that’s a lazy assumption.
It's definety a thing of the past nice PCP came along.
01-01-2019, 20:16   #34
Leonard Hofstadter

To be fair cars here come well equipped in general these days, low spec versions sell in very tiny numbers now (thankfully). But people still tend to buy them with smallest and/or least powerful possible version of an engine, admittedly in some cases it would be daft to buy a more expensive engine, for example I seem to remember that to upgrade a Jag F-Pace to a six cylinder engine it was €20k extra.
01-01-2019, 20:19   #35
CIP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotafanboi View Post
I'd say it'll be tomorrow. I'm also going with red.
I never get why all dealers don’t open on the 1st of January and 1st of July regardless of what day of the week it is. If you go to the effort and cost of buying a brand new car and order it months in advance you should be able to collect it the first day of the month. I know in this case he got it the 1st but it’s one of a few cases.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-01-2019, 20:24   #36
Toyotafanboi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIP4 View Post
I never get why all dealers don’t open on the 1st of January and 1st of July regardless of what day of the week it is. If you go to the effort and cost of buying a brand new car and order it months in advance you should be able to collect it the first day of the month. I know in this case he got it the 1st but it’s one of a few cases.
Because even the staff deserve a few days a year off. If you've waited months, 1 more day won't kill you

It's like everything retail though, unfortunately for the staff, in time it'll be a 24/7 thing. Everybody wants everything now. Like the people who have to go to Tescos on boxing day for bread and milk.
01-01-2019, 20:27   #37
ba_barabus

Quote:
Because even the staff deserve a few days a year off. If you've waited months, 1 more day won't kill you

It's like everything retail though, unfortunately for the staff, in time it'll be a 24/7 thing. Everybody wants everything now. Like the people who have to go to Tescos on boxing day for bread and milk.
Boxing day?
01-01-2019, 20:32   #38
Toyotafanboi
Wasn't sure if it was Stephens day or Stevens day so said I'd play it safe
01-01-2019, 20:33   #39
CIP4

Quote:

I don’t buy that deserving time off thing plenty of people have jobs in industries that operate 365 days a year and they get caught to work plenty of holidays to work myself included. It’s two days a year they should be able to work around it even a half day open would be better than nothing. I think there would be something more special about getting the car on the first day of the month obviously plenty don’t care but for those that do like this guy with the focus.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-01-2019, 20:50   #40
Toyotafanboi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIP4 View Post
I don’t buy that deserving time off thing plenty of people have jobs in industries that operate 365 days a year and they get caught to work plenty of holidays to work myself included. It’s two days a year they should be able to work around it even a half day open would be better than nothing. I think there would be something more special about getting the car on the first day of the month obviously plenty don’t care but for those that do like this guy with the focus.
In fact it's really only one day per year as July 1st will fall on a weekday 5 out of 7 times, surely the consumer can tolerate this one day and pick up their car during one of the other 364.

New years to an awful lot of people is a day to be with your family, or it is to me anyway. I'd be dissatisfied if I had to work it personally. You may not value yourself enough to want time off but IMO people in any industry, not just the motor industry deserve a but of time off for family etc around the Christmas break.

If you already work shift or signed up to work those days maybe it isn't too big a deal or you are getting suitably well reimbursed for it but you couldn't put a price on spending those days at home for me, particularly when going to work would entail doing such a non essential service.

Bit of a rant as it's a bit of a bugbear of mine. Nothing is sacred anymore, the consumer must be serviced at all costs.
01-01-2019, 20:53   #41
ml100

The last new car I bought I had to wait nearly 2 weeks for my 'slot' to pick it up (it was pdi'd mid December) so I don't think opening on the 1st is going to make much difference to most people buying new cars!
Thanks from:
01-01-2019, 21:06   #42
CIP4

Quote:
In fact it's really only one day per year as July 1st will fall on a weekday 5 out of 7 times, surely the consumer can tolerate this one day and pick up their car during one of the other 364.

New years to an awful lot of people is a day to be with your family, or it is to me anyway. I'd be dissatisfied if I had to work it personally. You may not value yourself enough to want time off but IMO people in any industry, not just the motor industry deserve a but of time off for family etc around the Christmas break.

If you already work shift or signed up to work those days maybe it isn't too big a deal or you are getting suitably well reimbursed for it but you couldn't put a price on spending those days at home for me, particularly when going to work would entail doing such a non essential service.

Bit of a rant as it's a bit of a bugbear of mine. Nothing is sacred anymore, the consumer must be serviced at all costs.
Id say we agree to disagree as I don't want to side track the thread and I do see your point to an extent.

Fair enough maybe there isn't a demand for it and most people are happy enough to wait.

I don't think it is fair to say you don't value yourself because you have to work over Christmas holidays though. For many of us it is part and parcel of the Job we signed up to do its just not possible for everyone to have all these days off. Its one extra day not like you would be in for the whole of Christmas away from family.

Infairness if family and time off was so key to a person I can't understand why they would be working in the motor trade in the first place where the vast majority work every Saturday some even Sundays which Garages opening on Sundays seems to be only becoming more common probably partly down to the reason you mentioned above but also for the vast majority of people the weekend is their only opportunity to go looking at cars.
Thanks from:
01-01-2019, 21:34   #43
bs2014

I do have to laugh sometimes as this chap looks like the sort of Paddy spec punter who couldn't give a f**k about their spec engine or reg number. I love how Irish people can surprise us. Looks deceiving and all that. Was in Letterkenny yesterday and Hyundai garage had 40 new cars lined up with the persons surname on as a dress plate (23 Tucsons); nice wee order bank to roll into January 1st with.
02-01-2019, 13:41   #44
vectra

Driving past the local Nissan garage and saw a guy getting the handshake from the sale guy handing over a Black cashcow
191-c6*
02-01-2019, 15:18   #45
GavRedKing
Category Moderator

Work within 30 secs of a Ford dealership, seen a 191 Focus and Fiesta being wheeled away between going on lunch and coming back from lunch.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion