Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-05-2018, 22:40   #16
Schorpio

You must be a mind reader Diabhalta! I have been meaning to get out and take some pictures of literally the exact same spots you've done. I was going to write a letter to the Council.

I totally agree, it's a complete disgrace. I dread to think of the years it adds to my poor car too. I think the shoddy 'repairs' are the bits which annoy me the most. It's one thing for the highway to fall into disrepair, it's another thing altogether for someone to have the audacity to walk away from some of those 'repair' jobs

Last edited by Schorpio; 31-05-2018 at 22:47.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
31-05-2018, 22:50   #17
Deckard Shaw

This post has been deleted.
31-05-2018, 22:55   #18
Diabhalta

Heading to town, Western rd. passing UCC

cracks in the road

Google maps:

there is about 8 manhole covers on this road and 5 of them are bad.

Thanks from:
31-05-2018, 23:12   #19
Diabhalta

Greenville place, pass Mercy hospital in town. This pedestrian crossing.

The drop is too big. Badly built, has to be done again properly.

Thanks from:
31-05-2018, 23:17   #20
lawred2

Christ is it ever dry down there?
Advertisement
31-05-2018, 23:37   #21
Diabhalta

Strawberry hill, above the Gaol

last year in April they were doing something there and digging a big hole for I don't know what reason...

This is what it looked like after they were finished:

I emailed them and told them that this not ok. They can't do a job like this and expect us to drive over this. Seriously, what a mess.

So they went back and did this:

still sharp edges around

I emailed them again telling them that the repair work was waste of time and that spot is still a mess.

They went back and did it the way it should be:

Why they couldn't do it properly the first time? Where is the problem here? Maybe the people doing the job should do some course or even be replaced by somebody else?

It would be really nice if the people working there would be more effective and conscientious. The main problem here is that they are wasting our money. My money, your money and everybody else's. How are they even allowed to be so ineffective I don't know.
01-06-2018, 14:10   #22
zilog_jones

Send a message via MSN to zilog_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabhalta View Post
I find it very strange that the city council is rebuilding a roundabout at the airport instead of fixing and resurfacing the roads.
That's the county council though. The city boundary has officially changed yet, has it? The work started months ago anyway.

Saying that, there are many areas of the south side suburbs (outside of the old boundary) with awful roads too.
01-06-2018, 14:24   #23
NIMAN

These photos make for interesting viewing.

To be honest, many of the roads around Derry city are in that sort of state too, although we have a lack of a functioning government to blame it on.
01-06-2018, 15:23   #24
Pops_20

I travel the roads you pictured above several times a week (Western Road, Victoria Cross etc), and at this stage I've just had to learn where the potholes/cracks are and drive around them. The cracks on the western road are the worse as they span the width of the road and you really can't avoid them.

If the council saved the money the spent idiotic closing down of Patrick street then perhaps they could have done a half decent repair on the roads.
Advertisement
01-06-2018, 15:37   #25
Kensei

Looks like the original contractors skipped adding condoms to the asphalt.
01-06-2018, 15:41   #26
NIMAN

If Cork is anything like Derry, a lot of these patches are in place due to some other contractor coming along and digging up the road to lay something extra, like broadband, or gas or something.

There should be a requirements that if a part of the road is dug up, then the whole road to a certain amount of metres either side has to be properly resurfaced. That should be in the contract before they are allowed to break ground.

Most of these holes and damaged areas are from patches put in afterwards. If they had to do a full section of road as new, it would be less likely to end up in this awful state.
02-06-2018, 13:40   #27
Diabhalta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops_20 View Post
and at this stage I've just had to learn where the potholes/cracks are and drive around them.
You see the thing is that you shouldn't remember where all the potholes/cracks are. The roads should be 100% smooth everywhere. It's very expensive to run a car in Ireland at the moment so in return the roads should be excellent.

In central Europe (countries like Poland, Czech rep., Slovakia, Hungary) the motor tax is included in the petrol price. The roads are very good over there. Occasionally you might end up driving over a pothole but it's a rare occurrence. The busiest roads in bigger and smaller cities are perfect.

So when I compare roads in Cork city to those roads over there it seems like we are in Asia, not in Western Europe.

I don't understand how somebody spends thousands of euros on a brand new car and then drives it in Cork. That's just absurd.

Winning in lottery let's say €100M there's no way I would live here. Driving a brand new Lamborghini or Ferrari in Cork? Pffff hahaha lol that's just not possible. There are other places in Europe with much better infrastructure than Cork city.
Thanks from:
02-06-2018, 13:52   #28
Diabhalta

North Mall, outside Franciscan Well pub.

This road is decades old. It needs to be resurfaced. There is this big drop at the side of the road so if you can't drive around it you just have to drive over it. It's strange.

Last edited by Diabhalta; 02-06-2018 at 18:32.
02-06-2018, 16:22   #29
Diabhalta

College rd.

02-06-2018, 16:32   #30
Diabhalta

South Mall

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text