Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-01-2019, 14:26   #211
Diabhalta

Well that's the new bollards outside the church on Western road sorted. Now the road surface please...thanks.

Advertisement
08-01-2019, 18:55   #212
Diabhalta

City of Mishima in Japan, just south of Tokyo (roughly the same size as Cork pothole city).

This is how roads should look like in Cork. Western road, Grand Parade, Cronin's field etc. etc. All the main roads.. Of course they are not 100% perfect (that junction on left hand side at 0:53 seems a bit bumpy). Also at 1:36 there is a bit of cracked surface outside that car dealership. But it's all still acceptable. Cork is in bits, the whole place is rubbish. It's disgusting.

If I could I would let the Japanese run the roads department. Because that's what Cork needs. Money and capable people. That would solve the problem.

(2) thanks from:
08-01-2019, 19:14   #213
Odelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabhalta View Post
City of Mishima in Japan, just south of Tokyo (roughly the same size as Cork pothole city).

This is how roads should look like in Cork. Western road, Grand Parade, Cronin's field etc. etc. All the main roads.. Of course they are not 100% perfect (that junction on left hand side at 0:53 seems a bit bumpy). Also at 1:36 there is a bit of cracked surface outside that car dealership. But it's all still acceptable. Cork is in bits, the whole place is rubbish. It's disgusting.

If I could I would let the Japanese run the roads department. Because that's what Cork needs. Money and capable people. That would solve the problem.

You seem to know all about road engineering, why don’t you apply to join cork county council and run the roads department?
08-01-2019, 19:15   #214
Diabhalta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
You seem to know all about road engineering, why don’t you apply to join cork county council and run the roads department?
I'm not an engineer.
(3) thanks from:
08-01-2019, 19:50   #215
Dr_Colossus

Great thread OP and great work taking and updating photos. I'm not Cork based but can relate with the state of the roads in Dublin, disgraceful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemeister View Post
These roads remind me of Boston.
I asked a guy once why they were so bad and he explained that they have freezing cold winters followed by very warm summers, it's basic freeze-thaw-action at work.

2018 was the closest to Boston weather I can remember in a long time.

Could be a factor!
Could be but the farcical condition of our roads didn't happen within the year, this is the result of years of neglect, ineptitude and indifference by the city and county councils.

I remember a conversation I had years ago with a German engineer who was exasperated with the condition of our road network. When quizzed as to what the Germans do differently he said city councils plan resurfacing sections every 10 years which are well marked in a calendar for the year prior so any work to services are done in that preceding month. Once the road is resurfaced that's it, you can't go uprooting it again without a special bond requiring a proper repair and resurface.
Here on the other hand you can dig a hole or worse a trench across or along a section of road and back fill it with a pot of tar and a few slaps of a shovel and off you go. No ownership, responsibility or pride in any work performed and often so called repair jobs leave the roads in a worse condition that they were in originally.
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 20:08   #216
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
Quote:

Why not they know fcuk all about it obviously
12-01-2019, 18:09   #217
Poulgorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilog_jones View Post
That's the county council though. The city boundary has officially changed yet, has it? The work started months ago anyway.
As far as I know, it's neither the county council nor the city council. The road to Kinsale is a national route (N71), so it is controlled by the National Roads Authority (or whatever they are called now).

Edit: the NRA is now TII (Transport Infrastructure Ireland).

Last edited by Poulgorm; 12-01-2019 at 18:17.
13-01-2019, 04:47   #218
mikeecho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Colossus View Post
Great thread OP and great work taking and updating photos. I'm not Cork based but can relate with the state of the roads in Dublin, disgraceful.

Could be but the farcical condition of our roads didn't happen within the year, this is the result of years of neglect, ineptitude and indifference by the city and county councils.

I remember a conversation I had years ago with a German engineer who was exasperated with the condition of our road network. When quizzed as to what the Germans do differently he said city councils plan resurfacing sections every 10 years which are well marked in a calendar for the year prior so any work to services are done in that preceding month. Once the road is resurfaced that's it, you can't go uprooting it again without a special bond requiring a proper repair and resurface.
Here on the other hand you can dig a hole or worse a trench across or along a section of road and back fill it with a pot of tar and a few slaps of a shovel and off you go. No ownership, responsibility or pride in any work performed and often so called repair jobs leave the roads in a worse condition that they were in originally.
Sight inaccuracies there.

If (for example) bord gais / Irish water or virgin media need to dig a trench across or along a road, they need permission from the local council or coperation.

The repair that they do, is inspected by the local corpo/council to ensure it is satisfactory.

However.. this is where the problem occurs, the repair will be flush with the other surrounding surface at time of inspection, and will be signed off on.

Now,....... Fast forward a few months and that near perfect repair has turned into a trench .. well, it was signed off on .. so the corpo/ council has no comeback on the utility company.

There should be inspections immediately after the work is done,c and again 3 months later.. imo
(2) thanks from:
13-01-2019, 11:48   #219
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Colossus View Post

If (for example) bord gais / Irish water or virgin media need to dig a trench across or along a road, they need permission from the local council or coperation.

The repair that they do, is inspected by the local corpo/council to ensure it is satisfactory.

However.. this is where the problem occurs, the repair will be flush with the other surrounding surface at time of inspection, and will be signed off on.

Now,....... Fast forward a few months and that near perfect repair has turned into a trench .. well, it was signed off on .. so the corpo/ council has no comeback on the utility company.

There should be inspections immediately after the work is done,c and again 3 months later.. imo
You've hit the nail on the head,road sinks after repair, but the bloody council knows this and let's bord gais etc away with it
Advertisement
13-01-2019, 12:29   #220
Buttonftw

Quote:

It's sickening when a road is re-done after 15/20 years and within weeks is being dug up again. A system of permission based on a calendar and high fees for works outside of certain windows should be introduced. But that would be hassle.
Thanks from:
14-01-2019, 05:59   #221
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonftw View Post
Quote:

It's sickening when a road is re-done after 15/20 years and within weeks is being dug up again. A system of permission based on a calendar and high fees for works outside of certain windows should be introduced. But that would be hassle.
We've councils being run all wrong,lived in the north of Ireland a long time,they fix a pothole once,once only,bye bye pothole,once called to local council ref same in carrigaline,asked about repair and have they a person actually going round and logging road conditions I got an incredlous look off the one behind the counter and got a firm no,then asked so you're depending on locals to complain? Yes says she,I'm complaining weekly says I,and yet the road leading to my estate has 15 plus potholes fort the last 9 year's,,,no answer from her
14-01-2019, 17:01   #222
Diabhalta

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
We've councils being run all wrong,lived in the north of Ireland a long time,they fix a pothole once,once only,bye bye pothole,once called to local council ref same in carrigaline,asked about repair and have they a person actually going round and logging road conditions I got an incredlous look off the one behind the counter and got a firm no,then asked so you're depending on locals to complain? Yes says she,I'm complaining weekly says I,and yet the road leading to my estate has 15 plus potholes fort the last 9 year's,,,no answer from her
it's clear that the people are the major part of the problem here.

If you are working in some company/business and you're not reasonably efficient, the management will have a talk with you and if there's no impovement you will get a warning etc. Then if you don't improve they will fire you and you are replaced by somebody else, who is gonna do their job properly.

It should be the same with the council. If a member of the public comes back 3 times to complain about one pothole and the poor repairs done somebody should be held accountable for not doing their job properly. One warning, second and that's it... you're fired.

btw. Yellow vest protest is very relevant to the situation in Cork regarding the roads. It's one of the many pieces in the puzzle. In this whole mess that we have to live in. Extortionate car insurance premiums, third world country roads... and the list goes on and on..

edit: The situation around Bus Éireann in Cork is bad as well, the buses are constantly late or not showing up, and that's happening for years and years now.. So the only solution is to replace the people who are unable to solve the problem and let somebody else to do the job. I would suggest learning from Germany in this case. If they are not able to do it by themselves, then some extensive training and mentoring abroad will definitely help. Sure the council (or I don't know who) rang England for help when they wanted to change the lights on Kinsale road roundabout so why not ringing Germany?

Last edited by Diabhalta; 14-01-2019 at 17:22.
(3) thanks from:
14-01-2019, 17:15   #223
Diabhalta

Today's Evening echo... says nothing about resurfacing the roads, which isn't a surprise. It's almost like everyone is pretending everything is fine with the roads. Population is set to increase by 50% by 2040. Well, that's a lot of extra cars driving on the roads. Will the roads be in reasonable condition by 2040? I doubt it.

Cork will get Luas, cork will get cycle lanes, cork will go back to a two-way system on MacCurtain street (which makes no sense btw.) but the roads are perfectly fine right?

14-01-2019, 17:29   #224
Diabhalta

Comments under articles like this never disappoint. What a circus this place is.

14-01-2019, 17:54   #225
corks finest

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
it's clear that the people are the major part of the problem here.

If you are working in some company/business and you're not reasonably efficient, the management will have a talk with you and if there's no impovement you will get a warning etc. Then if you don't improve they will fire you and you are replaced by somebody else, who is gonna do their job properly.

It should be the same with the council. If a member of the public comes back 3 times to complain about one pothole and the poor repairs done somebody should be held accountable for not doing their job properly. One warning, second and that's it... you're fired.

btw. Yellow vest protest is very relevant to the situation in Cork regarding the roads. It's one of the many pieces in the puzzle. In this whole mess that we have to live in. Extortionate car insurance premiums, third world country roads... and the list goes on and on..

edit: The situation around Bus Éireann in Cork is bad as well, the buses are constantly late or not showing up, and that's happening for years and years now.. So the only solution is to replace the people who are unable to solve the problem and let somebody else to do the job. I would suggest learning from Germany in this case. If they are not able to do it by themselves, then some extensive training and mentoring abroad will definitely help. Sure the council (or I don't know who) rang England for help when they wanted to change the lights on Kinsale road roundabout so why not ringing Germany?
Agree with all you stated, problem being in Ireland, civil servants don't get sacked p.s. I was going into or ringing carrigaline co council for nigh in 7 plus years,they eventually redone the whole road( 130 metre's) 2 months back

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion