Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-01-2019, 18:24   #3421
colm_mcm

You’re just lowering a car that was raised in the first place. No big deal surely?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 18:48   #3422
Interslice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagevrs View Post
I have been thinking about lowering my car a lot recently...

Part of me says I'll be paying money, to make the car ride worse, potentially lose my front lip some day as well as other possible unknown drive train issues so don't bother, but then the other part of me says this is a must

rm6.staticflickr.com/5627/22280352796_0477dc0c9a_b.jpg[/IMG]
I think it will look a bit better but maybe drive alot worse. I would make the call on depending on the roads and speed bumps you drive over daily.
12-01-2019, 19:10   #3423
JoeA3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagevrs View Post
Interesting that most are against it. Not that I disagree but thought more would be on for it. I'll leave it alone so, for the mean time
Ok I’ll vote for it!

I think you should. From browsing on the U.K. beemer forums the last year, it seems almost a matter of course that anyone with an xDrive lowers it, the common comment I see is - “it should come from the factory like this”.
I think the generally preferred springs are by “ACS”.
12-01-2019, 19:13   #3424
Foxhole Norman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHearth View Post
Don't understand me wrong. On a car like yours, putting a new suspension setup makes sense. Its older car with older technology and companies did found a way to improve it over the years. Its fair enough.
I am just not a fan of whole lowering. Its basically making car worse and costing you money. Its just my opinion. And if someone still wants to do it, then more power to them, its their car.
The thing is wheb you ask opinion, you will hear it.
Just because a car is newer doesn't mean an aftermarket company will make the handling of the car worse. Companies like Bilstein, one of the best manufacturers of aftermarket shocks go to extensive lengths to ensure they're equal if not better. I have driven a Mk7 GTi before and after it got fitted with Bilsteins, the car handled way better in the corners and a comfort difference was unnoticeable. I wouldn't be quick to dismiss aftermarket components because "Manufacturers" know best when we all know, a lot of time they don't.

Lowering doesn't always equal worse.
12-01-2019, 21:19   #3425
CIP4

Was watching the RX8 Rotary Engine rebuild videos on Car Throttles Youtube channel. Them RX8 Rotary engines are so impressive when stripped down great piece of engineering even seeing the apex seals being fitted was class. I would love to own an RX8 just for the engine being such a unique set up.
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 21:28   #3426
Tazzimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIP4 View Post
Was watching the RX8 Rotary Engine rebuild videos on Car Throttles Youtube channel. Them RX8 Rotary engines are so impressive when stripped down great piece of engineering even seeing the apex seals being fitted was class. I would love to own an RX8 just for the engine being such a unique set up.
I'd take the RX7 over the RX8 myself, much nicer looking car.
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 21:32   #3427
carsfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeA3 View Post
Ok I’ll vote for it!

I think you should. From browsing on the U.K. beemer forums the last year, it seems almost a matter of course that anyone with an xDrive lowers it, the common comment I see is - “it should come from the factory like this”.
The x drive f30/31 3 series come with standard se suspension even in m sport trim. Apparently they roll a lot and as joe says the AC schnitzer suspension components appear to be the ones to go for. You won’t get your money back but they are supposed to transform the ride and handling and if you’re keeping the car long term go for it.
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 21:46   #3428
colm_mcm

Quote:
You’d most likely get to see the inside of the engine anyway if you owned one
13-01-2019, 16:48   #3429
Leonard Hofstadter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsfan2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeA3 View Post
Ok I’ll vote for it!

The x drive f30/31 3 series come with standard se suspension even in m sport trim. Apparently they roll a lot and as joe says the AC schnitzer suspension components appear to be the ones to go for. You won’t get your money back but they are supposed to transform the ride and handling and if you’re keeping the car long term go for it.
Yes I've heard this as well, they're meant to drive way better with aftermarket suspension.

No experience of them though.

The latest cars get the same suspension for RWD and 4WD so if you get an xDrive M Sport you'll get lower suspension just like a rear wheel drive model.
Advertisement
13-01-2019, 17:29   #3430
vintagevrs

This trend with YouTubers now picking up cars and then documenting them getting ceramic coated and then paint protection film and cleaned again etc is ****e.

That shmee fella recently picked up a ford GT and then a Senna from McLaren. Think he has documented the Senna getting picked up 4 times now. When it arrived, then when it was ready from some detailing shop, then when it was registered etc. It's cringe. Worse that I actually spent some time watching this ****e. He's cruising through some village in England in his Senna talking about how it's a dream come true, but never seems to drive these cars at all. He likes lining them all up and recording "content".

Anyway. I agree on the car throttle stuff, I enjoyed watching the guys strip and rebuild that rotary engine. Interesting how they adjust the timing on those motors. Much rather that stuff than prancing around in these million quid cars that never get driven.
13-01-2019, 19:02   #3431
JoeA3

Haha I’ve been watching some of Schmee’s videos recently too. What’s the deal with him, what’s his background? He must have more cash than a Saudi prince, considering his incredible collection, but how?! He spends an awful lot of time making YouTube videos!
His latest video has him in one of his more mundane vehicles - a Focus RS... but again, he’s just driving it down the road to get polished, while wearing a Ford motorsport jacket. it’s all a little bit Alan Partridge cringe.
Thanks from:
13-01-2019, 19:13   #3432
Skylinehead
AROOOOO!

Could never like that lad. Give me a Hoovies Garage any day.
13-01-2019, 19:36   #3433
CIP4

Driving home from work this evening was stuck behind a lad in a 191 Arteon for ages crawling doing 60kmh in 100kmh zones and then was leaving massive spaces with cars in front and slowing way down way in advance of roundabouts seemed to be being extra careful. Eventually passed him and he didn’t look that particularly old probably 40s.

Maybe he is just a slow driver or else if he was going slow to mind the car as it was new I don’t get that at all. Fair enough I have never had a brand new car but still when getting a new car would never drive it slow to ‘mind’ it or wouldn’t understand why anyone would.
13-01-2019, 20:20   #3434
Augeo

Could be letting engine "bed in" or something....sounds extreme though.

Last edited by Augeo; 13-01-2019 at 20:21. Reason: Smiley frown unintentional
13-01-2019, 20:28   #3435
Truckermal

Quote:
Driving home from work this evening was stuck behind a lad in a 191 Arteon for ages crawling doing 60kmh in 100kmh zones and then was leaving massive spaces with cars in front and slowing way down way in advance of roundabouts seemed to be being extra careful. Eventually passed him and he didn’t look that particularly old probably 40s.

Maybe he is just a slow driver or else if he was going slow to mind the car as it was new I don’t get that at all. Fair enough I have never had a brand new car but still when getting a new car would never drive it slow to ‘mind’ it or wouldn’t understand why anyone would.
I see a lot of 191 driver's driving like this! He will have a thread on here next year about his blocked DPF filter...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion