Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-03-2018, 20:16   #16
UnknownSpecies

When VRTing the car, the address on the proof of address you provide is the one that determines the reg. I just did this recently. Gave a Cork proof of address (my home home) and then once I got the log book and went to tax it, I changed the address to my current one. Got my C reg number on the day in the VRT centre.

edit. tl;dr yes sticking Dublin on it before he dealer registers it should work. Not sure what sort of proof they'll need from a dealer.
Advertisement
23-03-2018, 20:16   #17
Leonard Hofstadter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post
If the Brits leave the customs union then most likely you could have to pay VAT on imports too as well as VRT making importing a car very expensive but there is so much up in the air at the moment it's hard to tell what way it's going to pan out. There really was no plan in place for a "Leave" vote.
Since there's now going to be a transition deal until the end of 2020, I would have thought everything will continue as is until then at least.

A deal would have to include cars (for the UK given how many cars are made over there, and if they've caved so much on other areas, I don't see why they won't compromise to get that put through as well) so it's highly unlikely there will be any kind of tariffs (customs duties) either, but I suppose it is possible that VAT will have to be paid on imports with it being non-EU.
23-03-2018, 20:22   #18
bazz26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownSpecies View Post
When VRTing the car, the address on the proof of address you provide is the one that determines the reg. I just did this recently. Gave a Cork proof of address (my home home) and then once I got the log book and went to tax it, I changed the address to my current one. Got my C reg number on the day in the VRT centre.

edit. tl;dr yes sticking Dublin on it before he dealer registers it should work. Not sure what sort of proof they'll need from a dealer.
I can understand that if an individual is VRTing a car themselves but it's very possible that the VRT is already paid by the dealer but the car is not registered yet until it's sold. When I bought my last imported car from a dealer I was never asked for proof of address when they registered it. They just asked me if I wanted the reg in my county or theres.
23-03-2018, 21:08   #19
colm_mcm

Yep, I think it’s the same as registering a new car, they don’t look for any proof. You could register the car at the garages address using their post code, tax it, then change address?
Thanks from:
23-03-2018, 21:22   #20
colm_mcm

If ye have a spare 47 minutes, this documentary on the production of limousines in Russia is brilliant.

https://youtu.be/cHRX_6rBs6M
Advertisement
23-03-2018, 23:50   #21
Dartz

Think one of the scum vans got me outside Cork.

The thing was hidden by a truck on the inside lane right up until I was alongside it - doing a hundred and eight.

Still, backfiring it through the Jack Laynch tunnel amused.
24-03-2018, 00:14   #22
morritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by davycc View Post
German Swedish and French car parts!
Two office's in Dublin Beaumont branch on my doorstep almost.
Free courier delivery if you order something over 30€
https://www.gsfcarparts.ie
Nice one, might have to grab one, think my battery is getting a bit old now. and handy being a 2 minute walk
Thanks from:
24-03-2018, 00:51   #23
davycc

Quote:
Originally Posted by morritty View Post
Nice one, might have to grab one, think my battery is getting a bit old now. and handy being a 2 minute walk
You can order online and check it's in stock , pay by credit card and click the collect button on ther checkout screen.

.. a friend of mine sent it to me as i was crying about my battery going two days after the 16 year old car hit 150k miles Saved myself a ton for once so just trying to pass on the good karma
(2) thanks from:
24-03-2018, 08:55   #24
Cantona's Collars

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo...andlebar-mount

Just waiting to see someone attach one of these to the handlebars of their road bike so they can watch YouTube while weaving through traffic.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328083...st.32808337228

We can get one of these for the cars,not a bit unsafe.

Last edited by Cantona's Collars; 24-03-2018 at 09:00.
Advertisement
24-03-2018, 09:11   #25
JoeA3

Quote:
What's the story with getting a fresh UK import a D reg if you don't have an address there? It's being sold by a fairly big dealer so is it a matter of just getting them to stick Dublin at the end of the address and then once issued a registration, just log onto the motor tax website and change the address to the correct county before taxing it? Anyone done similar?

Disclaimer: I'm not one for believing in this D reg nonsense but the car has a somewhat limit market so for resale purposes a D reg would probably be more universally accepted.
Yep, I did this. Just give them any address. I gave my sister’s but I’m pretty certain it’s not verified, so literally anything will do.
Thanks from:
24-03-2018, 16:42   #26
bazz26

My new wheels:

Disclaimer: Not an actual photo of the car but you get the idea.
24-03-2018, 16:59   #27
CIP4

Quote:
My new wheels:

What did you have before this one a 520d F10 ?
24-03-2018, 17:21   #28
bazz26

Yes a 520d.
24-03-2018, 18:06   #29
Nixonbot
AROOOOO!

Quote:
My new wheels:

[/IMG]

640d?
24-03-2018, 18:10   #30
bazz26

530d

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size