Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-10-2013, 14:18   #31
Moomat

Have a mint '95 3.1 Trooper which I gladly see every day! Only 80k miles on it so another 500k to go Wouldn't swap it for some of the modern rubbish going around... Has everything you could possible need, heated Recaro seats, panoramic sunroof, heated and foldy in mirrors, digital AC/climate control, even has them lights that light up around the corner when you put you indicator on... Ahh you've got to love the Japs!
Advertisement
20-10-2013, 14:21   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomat View Post
Have a mint '95 3.1 Trooper which I gladly see every day! Only 80k miles on it so another 500k to go Wouldn't swap it for some of the modern rubbish going around... Has everything you could possible need, heated Recaro seats, panoramic sunroof, heated and foldy in mirrors, digital AC/climate control, even has them lights that light up around the corner when you put you indicator on... Ahh you've got to love the Japs!
Much like my 96 JDM Legend, some brilliant equipment on board!
20-10-2013, 14:25   #33
Moomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser D View Post
Much like my 96 JDM Legend, some brilliant equipment on board!
what's a JDM Legend?
20-10-2013, 14:31   #34

Quote:
what's a JDM Legend?
Honda Legend, JDM

(2) thanks from:
20-10-2013, 14:37   #35
Moomat

Ahh, now I know! They are an awesome machine. Beautiful car, well ahead of it's time spec wise! I remember Mitsubishi had a large saloon also, monster of a yoke, like a galant on steriods! Can't think of the name...
Advertisement
20-10-2013, 15:09   #36
davycc

Quote:
Ahh, now I know! They are an awesome machine. Beautiful car, well ahead of it's time spec wise! I remember Mitsubishi had a large saloon also, monster of a yoke, like a galant on steriods! Can't think of the name...
Sigma?
(2) thanks from:
20-10-2013, 15:49   #37

Been told there is a Nissan Prairie around Tallaght.
Anyone close by see it?
Thanks from:
20-10-2013, 16:34   #38
bazz26

A neighbour of mine had a 1988 Toyota Corolla up to recently.
20-10-2013, 17:12   #39

Saw a little red '88 Datsun tootling about the Ballyhooley Road today. Car looked in good nick considering the age.
Advertisement
20-10-2013, 17:14   #40
ba_barabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post
A neighbour of mine had a 1988 Toyota Corolla up to recently.
I saw that model Corolla with a 1994 reg in white in Nenagh yesterday. It must be a South African import.
20-10-2013, 17:32   #41
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's a 5 year old car was already old and a 10 year old car was positively fossilised. Today you see a LOT of 5 and 10 year old cars on the roads. In most peoples heads an 03 reg is not that old, but it's a decade old.
When you start looking... Damn this thread. On my short enough paper run earlier today, I was glued to reg plates. Didn't see anything pre 90's save for the 85 Capri laser I mentioned earlier, but there are an awful lot of 00 to 05 cars out there that are trundling along fine. I was thinking though maybe that is a "boom" thing? That people upgraded during those years, but since the downturn maybe haven't because of finances?

Still, again,going back to my youth in the slightly earlier days of horseless carriages cars, cars have become incredibly reliable by comparison to the past. Outside of some Merc and Volvo models that couldn't be killed short of a direct missile strike(and even then the Volvo...) your average car was generally a collection of parts trying to make it's way to the scrapyard. They recycled themselves . Before the Japanese got involved the average driver was a petrolhead almost by necessity and got their hands on the oily bits way more than the average person today. Then the Japanese did get involved and my god I don't need to take a file to my points every few weeks. However after a couple of rainstorms your car would often become Toyko Rusty Red, even if you had ordered and received Midnight blue from the dealer.

For my mind anyway I suspect that the period just after the need to take grease to your trunions and just before the cars became mobile computer networks may well be the sweet spot for longevity. I'd near bet that in classic car meets in 2050 there'll be more 1995 cars than 2015 cars still driving in a near original state.
20-10-2013, 17:45   #42
porsche boy

I regularly see a mid 50's Morris Traveller in black, an '82 Ford Cortina or Granada estate in beige, two different '88 Toyota Corolla's a red and a gold, a beautiful late seventies 635csi in black, an early nineties Merc 230CE coupe, my own '95 Primera SRi in black as well as somebody elses one in red, a '79 Audi 100 in silver all floating around Tallaght. Would see most if not all on a weekly basis, they all seem to be driven by mechanics or people in the motor trade.
We dont take kindly to 'modern cars'!
Thanks from:
20-10-2013, 17:46   #43
porsche boy

I regularly see a mid 50's Morris Traveller in black, an '82 Ford Cortina or Granada estate in beige, two different '88 Toyota Corolla's a red and a gold, a beautiful late seventies 635csi in black, an early nineties Merc 230CE coupe, my own '95 Primera SRi in black as well as somebody elses one in red, a '79 Audi 100 in silver all floating around Tallaght. Would see most if not all on a weekly basis, they all seem to be driven by mechanics or people in the motor trade.
We dont take kindly to 'modern cars'!
20-10-2013, 18:00   #44
mondymike

I do often see a grey sierra saphire cosworth, a mk3 black cortina, early pre facelift with all the chrome trimmings and a 1991(?) I think silver sierra late model, hatch, i think its a classic (derivative) cuz it has the tinted rear lenses. All about the roselawn area of blanchardstown. Then last month i saw a mk2 jag parked up by leixlip motor Factors, a mk2 black Granada coming out of Bradshaws in newbridge and a 2 dr 240 in front of me coming into clane
(2) thanks from:
20-10-2013, 18:04   #45
pajor

1994 Citroen ZX I think it was.

Once again I shall bring up the point that the Irish know squat about looking after a car. Go to any country on the continent (even the UK are better than us) and you'll see plenty of old Citroens, Pug 205 and 405, Volvos and so on and so forth.

Especially in The Netherlands where the old Fiat Panda is a favourite.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion