Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-12-2012, 14:38   #16
joujoujou

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy hickey View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITRONICS-ITB...-/251016576631

Bought it.
Use it.
Can recommend it.
Actually thinking about the same cam.

Found one slightly cheaper - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/170933879876

Just 1 more question - have you been charged extra (customs, VAT, etc)?
Advertisement
29-12-2012, 14:42   #17
yllw.ldbttr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
I'd prefer not to break the bank.. I was offered a Smartcam 2 yesterday on eBay and it was over 100euro including delivery from the UK. Just thought it was a bit on the pricey side!

I bought a cheap one on ebay for 30 euro, utter pile of ****e, terrible video quality and beyond useless in anything other than perfect light.

Picked up a used SmartCam2 on adverts.ie for €80 delivered including SD card. I would highly recommend it.
Thanks from:
29-12-2012, 14:42   #18
Sully

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllw.ldbttr View Post
I bought a cheap one on ebay for 30 euro, utter pile of ****e, terrible video quality and beyond useless in anything other than perfect light.

Picked up a used SmartCam2 on adverts.ie for €80 delivered including SD card. I would highly recommend it.
Thanks, I contacted the seller again to see if I can negotiate anything with him.
29-12-2012, 14:53   #19
Sully

Got the Smartcam2 from another UK Seller. Just under €100 incl. delivery. Saved about £10GBP by this new "Make an Offer" idea on eBay.
29-12-2012, 15:06   #20
yllw.ldbttr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
Got the Smartcam2 from another UK Seller. Just under €100 incl. delivery. Saved about £10GBP by this new "Make an Offer" idea on eBay.

It's the best at that price range IMO, a word of caution, the file sizes are huge, grab a 32GB SD card, 16GB is not enough as far as I'm concerned.
Advertisement
29-12-2012, 17:07   #21
Deliverance XXV

Send a message via MSN to Deliverance XXV
I just ordered a car camera mount/charging cradle for my Samsung Galaxy S3 and plan to use that as a dashcam/charging station/GPS. Got it from eBay for less than €5.
There are plenty of free/paid dashcam apps where you can select a multitude of options before recording. Plenty of videos on Youtube showing some good quality footage.

Anyone tried this yet?
29-12-2012, 17:23   #22
yllw.ldbttr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverance XXV View Post
I just ordered a car camera mount/charging cradle for my Samsung Galaxy S3 and plan to use that as a dashcam/charging station/GPS. Got it from eBay for less than €5.
There are plenty of free/paid dashcam apps where you can select a multitude of options before recording. Plenty of videos on Youtube showing some good quality footage.

Anyone tried this yet?

Had a similar setup with previous phones but I genuinely noticed a significant impact on battery life over the year or so that I had the phone, YMMV.

I used a Tetrax holder and an iPhone 4S, camera quality would obviously be better with the Samsung, although I'd say they'd suffer equally in terms of battery charge/ discharge cycles.
Thanks from:
29-12-2012, 18:24   #23
Deliverance XXV

Send a message via MSN to Deliverance XXV
Quote:
Had a similar setup with previous phones but I genuinely noticed a significant impact on battery life over the year or so that I had the phone, YMMV.

I used a Tetrax holder and an iPhone 4S, camera quality would obviously be better with the Samsung, although I'd say they'd suffer equally in terms of battery charge/ discharge cycles.
It would be on charge while operating for 40-80 mins driving a day so it wouldn't be ideal but I suppose one of the best things about these phones are the removable batteries.
29-12-2012, 18:25   #24
Lawless2k12

Quote:
It's the best at that price range IMO, a word of caution, the file sizes are huge, grab a 32GB SD card, 16GB is not enough as far as I'm concerned.
I agree here! Mine can do around 2 to 2 and a half hours recording on the 32GB card. I can get 4 hours out of the WVGA mode (Think that's what it's called... can't remember)

It's a great camera as the night mode actually works, video is v.good quality, sound is v.good as well and it's easy to fit especially since the mounting cup is impossible to pull off the window it's up. Think I paid around €130 inc. 32GB card... give or take a few quid
Advertisement
29-12-2012, 18:43   #25
yllw.ldbttr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverance XXV View Post
It would be on charge while operating for 40-80 mins driving a day so it wouldn't be ideal but I suppose one of the best things about these phones are the removable batteries.

+1

Not really an option with Apple devices without going through Apple themselves so maybe not an issue for you.
29-12-2012, 18:45   #26
yllw.ldbttr

Sample video from my SmartCam 2 HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hzMQc42UZU
Youtube impacts on the quality when uploading, but still not bad.
Original 5 minute file is 700MB +

Last edited by biko; 12-05-2013 at 19:28. Reason: removed youtube tags
31-12-2012, 14:31   #27
randy hickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joujoujou View Post
Actually thinking about the same cam.

Found one slightly cheaper - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/170933879876

Just 1 more question - have you been charged extra (customs, VAT, etc)?
PM sent!
Thanks from:
31-12-2012, 15:20   #28
niloc1951

Just to remember, there are two types of dash-cam.

For about €20 or a bit more you get a cam that just records video
Example here http://www.pearl.de/a-PX1295-5443.shtml

From about €70 or more you get a version that has GPS and will place you on Google Maps with time, date and speed, this type often also have G sensors which record and sudden changes in movement, like braking very hard, hitting a pothole or being hit by another vehicle.
Example herehttp://www.amazon.com/2-7-inch-degre...pd_sim_sbs_p_1

Some also have LED's for a bit of night vision as the light from headlights is not effective.
31-12-2012, 15:26   #29
yllw.ldbttr

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc1951 View Post

Some also have LED's for a bit of night vision as the light from headlights is not effective.

I presume you are referring to infra red light? Won't that just reflect off the windscreen?
31-12-2012, 15:29   #30
yllw.ldbttr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless2k12 View Post
http://youtu.be/zKLuyuEijJQ
Wee bit of footage from my own cam. Not too shabby

Your one appears to be infected with the poor taste in music bug as well.

;-)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion