Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-02-2012, 08:30   #61
Hicser1

Speed Camera caught or not?

Hi,

I overtook a truck and hit 110kmh when I saw a Gatso van facing me at the other side of the road, I sped down below 100 by the time I was passing him.

Does anyone know if I would be ok, I read on some posts that the detectors & cameras are only at the back of the vans,

Thanks,
Hicser
Advertisement
03-02-2012, 09:43   #62
pa990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicser1 View Post
Hi,

I overtook a truck and hit 110kmh when I saw a Gatso van facing me at the other side of the road, I sped down below 100 by the time I was passing him.

Does anyone know if I would be ok, I read on some posts that the detectors & cameras are only at the back of the vans,

Thanks,
Hicser
Have a read of mega thread, everything will be answered in the first and last few pages

(and repeated ad nauseum in between)
05-02-2012, 23:09   #63
Jimmy Bottlehead

Finally seen a speed van for the first time this weekend. Sadly, I may have been slightly above the designated speed limit, so I'm expecting a letter to arrive at some point in the future
Oddly enough I seen a second soon after, both on the way from Dublin to Longford, seems they were out in force for a change.
05-02-2012, 23:12   #64
eringobragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Bottlehead View Post
Finally seen a speed van for the first time this weekend. Sadly, I may have been slightly above the designated speed limit, so I'm expecting a letter to arrive at some point in the future
Oddly enough I seen a second soon after, both on the way from Dublin to Longford, seems they were out in force for a change.
Seen 3 in one weekend! Although the Cavan / Leitrim people were more then generous with their flashing
06-02-2012, 08:04   #65
keithclancy

You guys are lucky, hard to miss a great honking big van.

Here they take the picture from the back, the van is usually hidden in the bushes off the motorway and the camera is also obsctured by either a motorway emergency phone or reeds.

E.G.

Last edited by keithclancy; 06-02-2012 at 08:07. Reason: Massive pic removed
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-02-2012, 13:23   #66
Iwannahurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithclancy View Post
You guys are lucky, hard to miss a great honking big van.

Here they take the picture from the back, the van is usually hidden in the bushes off the motorway and the camera is also obsctured by either a motorway emergency phone or reeds.

E.G.

http://s2.hbvl.be/ahimgpath/assets_i...7141-460x0.jpg

What happens to the 'unlucky' motorists there?

TTBOMK the Dutch have been taking speed surveillance (and road safety in general) very seriously for many years.

A varied programme of overt and covert surveillance, along with visible policing, is most effective.

The combination of approaches is needed to reduce different kinds of "halo effect".

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_s...nforcement.pdf

Since speed cameras can clock vehicles travelling in either direction, I don't know why more surveilance isn't done in this way in Ireland.

Personally I'd like to 'see' more hidden surveillance here to match the highly-visible GoSafe vans. The number of fines could be much higher, of course, but in a small country like this the deterrent impact could be high.
16-02-2012, 10:01   #67
Jimmy Bottlehead

Quick question - I received my speeding ticket in the post today, so €80 and 2 points.

Anyways, do I need to let my insurance company know about the points? Or will they be able to update that themselves?

Thanks!
16-02-2012, 11:58   #68
TestTransmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Bottlehead View Post
Quick question - I received my speeding ticket in the post today, so €80 and 2 points.

Anyways, do I need to let my insurance company know about the points? Or will they be able to update that themselves?

Thanks!
You gotta tell them, how long is it do you have the Honda? Didn't take you long.
Thanks from:
16-02-2012, 16:14   #69
Jimmy Bottlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestTransmission View Post
You gotta tell them, how long is it do you have the Honda? Didn't take you long.
Have it since October, so got about 5 months without getting done for speeding. Not a bad run! But I'll have to take her easier from here on in
Advertisement
24-02-2012, 09:55   #70
flyguy

Hey guys have a question I didn't see answered yet (or i missed it).
If you get caught speeding in Ireland due you get a measurement correction on the measured speed?
I countries like the Netherlands, France the corrections range from 3% to 5% of the measured speed. The reason for the correction is that no equipment is 100% accurate and the speed measured could be more (or less) than you were actually doing. Since this error shouldn't put you at a disadvantage they should always deduct it from the measured speed.
Secondly in the Netherlands there are some strict rules the operator of the speed camera had to follow. They can't just park up anywhere and start flashing. They have to take measurement and make sure the equipment is aligned properly with the road. IIRC they also can't setup on a bend since this could generate inaccurate measurements.
I assume the go-safe vans have similar regulations?

<snip>

Last edited by TestTransmission; 25-02-2012 at 01:39.
09-03-2012, 09:18   #71
Guisseppeth

Can the vans "flash" you while THEY are moving?

Got a fixed penalty notice this week (92km/h in 80km/h zone). From the date and time on it I can tell exactly where we were going at the time and remember coming across the van. However it was driving along the road towards us and was about a mile away from the location specified on the notice.

I read on the OP that they cannot operate while moving so I was wondering how this can happen? If it turns out that they can then I'll happily pay the fine and take the points as I can't be sure that I wasn't speeding even though I'm a pretty careful driver normally (thats what they all say eh??)

If they can't any suggestions to what I can do, if anything? I've searched and read through the mega thread and cannot find much relating to this.

Cheers

Last edited by Guisseppeth; 09-03-2012 at 09:22.
09-03-2012, 16:38   #72
ironclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guisseppeth View Post
Got a fixed penalty notice this week (92km/h in 80km/h zone). From the date and time on it I can tell exactly where we were going at the time and remember coming across the van. However it was driving along the road towards us and was about a mile away from the location specified on the notice.

I read on the OP that they cannot operate while moving so I was wondering how this can happen? If it turns out that they can then I'll happily pay the fine and take the points as I can't be sure that I wasn't speeding even though I'm a pretty careful driver normally (thats what they all say eh??)

If they can't any suggestions to what I can do, if anything? I've searched and read through the mega thread and cannot find much relating to this.

Cheers
Don't wish to be rude, but you were caught by a stationary van / Garda at some point. They don't capture when in motion.

The Garda do have mobile laser units that can take photos. They are rare, but do exist. They are much more easily concealable. There are fixed cameras on some roads, where exactly were you caught?

Or you could have been done by an unmarked Garda van.
Thanks from:
09-03-2012, 16:48   #73
Guisseppeth

No worries about the rude bit.

It was on a regional road over in rural Co Roscommon. The van is quite a common sight on that stretch of road apparently but it was definitely on the move when I met it. In fact we were talking about it when I got to the birthday party we were heading to and I mentioned that I had met it on the road on the way into town.

I find it hard to believe that there would be another stationary van there as well though I suppose its not impossible. As you say it may have been an unmarked Gardai car.

Is there any way of requesting more information on it ie will they tell you if it was the van or a gardai car etc etc

Cheers
12-03-2012, 16:39   #74
ironclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guisseppeth View Post
No worries about the rude bit.

It was on a regional road over in rural Co Roscommon. The van is quite a common sight on that stretch of road apparently but it was definitely on the move when I met it. In fact we were talking about it when I got to the birthday party we were heading to and I mentioned that I had met it on the road on the way into town.

I find it hard to believe that there would be another stationary van there as well though I suppose its not impossible. As you say it may have been an unmarked Gardai car.

Is there any way of requesting more information on it ie will they tell you if it was the van or a gardai car etc etc

Cheers
Your case does seem very odd but I can categorically tell you they do not capture in motion. There is a whole set up procedure they have to do before they can even start capturing when they are stationary.

So you were either caught by another van, by a photo Garda trap (Unlikely) or by a fixed camera.

Can you throw up a link of the road in question?

I presume the notice has your correct license plate photo on it?
12-03-2012, 16:53   #75
Guisseppeth

If you Google "R293, Crunaun" thats the road. I met it as it was travelling into Ballaghaderreen.

There are definitely no fixed cameras on that road. The correct number plate is on the photo alright.

Anyway, its in my wifes name as the car is registered to her so I'm posting it back with my details and am going to aske for more information on it to see what they say.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion