Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-01-2011, 13:25   #46
ironclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgewire View Post
They use flash. Normally positioned toward the car but can be set in both ways. Proper forum for this:
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...adar-unit.html

This one is censored
I remember a case against the Garda van. Was along the lines that Flash was distracting and blinding towards a driver. Infrared would actually be better for night time contrast.

I can't honestly answer but I know in day time, the Garda van has a flash.
Advertisement
26-01-2011, 23:01   #47
paddyjoesoap

can anyone confirm if these gosafe speed vans flash during the day?

I passed one doing about 55 miles per hour in a 50 miles per hour (80km) zone leaving Tipp town at 9am while heading to the train station.

I didn't see any flash. Perhaps it did but I didn't see it.
27-01-2011, 21:03   #48
ironclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyjoesoap View Post
can anyone confirm if these gosafe speed vans flash during the day?

I passed one doing about 55 miles per hour in a 50 miles per hour (80km) zone leaving Tipp town at 9am while heading to the train station.

I didn't see any flash. Perhaps it did but I didn't see it.
The problem is two fold:

1) Was it a Garda or GoSafe Van. Slightly different tech invovled

2) How accurate is your speedo. At 55 you may only have been doing a smudge over 50, so giving a small bit of leniency you might not have been speeding at all.

They don't have to flash however. Given weather conditions, lighting conditions etc it might not be necessary. Think about any normal camera, flash only comes on in certain conditions.
28-01-2011, 14:00   #49
paddyjoesoap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclaw View Post
The problem is two fold:

1) Was it a Garda or GoSafe Van. Slightly different tech invovled
It was a GoSafe van. (not a white GoSafe van as I expected. I think it was purple or had purple doors on the back, with camera stickers on the side. Also camera was clear to be seen when I passed back window).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclaw View Post
2) How accurate is your speedo. At 55 you may only have been doing a smudge over 50, so giving a small bit of leniency you might not have been speeding at all.
Not sure of the accuracy of speed. It happened so quick, when I took my foot off the gas and looked down, I think I was at 55 miles per hour. But presumably by the time I see the van, the camera has already snapped the speed regardless of me breaking. I may have been doing 58 miles per hour but on slowing the needle was at 55 for example.

The car is a new to me a few days and don't know much about its accuracy. I should probably install a GPS and compare speeds.

Have you any idea of how it takes to get notification? I think in the UK they have to notify you within 14 days.
16-03-2011, 15:46   #50
ironclaw

Hi Folks,

Few updates for people.

Do They Flash At Night?

No, not visibly. They use an Infrared Flash on the top of the van

Can You Detect Them?

Not legally. In addition, tests have shown you won't be able to detect them at a good range (400 to 200m) without spending serious cash. This is due to their extremely low powered K band radar.

Slow down, its cheaper

Last edited by ironclaw; 17-03-2011 at 00:01.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-03-2011, 21:48   #51
Iwannahurl

Interesting video.

Pardon my ignorance, but in relation to the example above how exactly does the GoSafe technology distinguish which vehicle is speeding? In this case both vehicles are passing the camera more or less at the same time. The flash is triggered by the faster of the two (assuming the vehicle being overtaken is within the limit) but presumably both are 'in the frame'. Does the system select the speeding vehicle automatically, or is there some human judgment in the process?

Last edited by Iwannahurl; 16-03-2011 at 22:08.
16-03-2011, 21:57   #52
ABEasy

Bit off topic but can the go safe vans park on the hard shoulder of a motorway? Can it park in the Garda speed ramps on a motorway?
16-03-2011, 22:50   #53
rabbitinlights

That clip shows it flashing visibly?
16-03-2011, 23:01   #54
JMSE

Ironclaw thanks for all the info so far, one thing you mentioned a while back was about it not working in snow, wet etc...

Can you elaborate on the 'wet', does the gosafe radar not work in the rain?
Advertisement
16-03-2011, 23:49   #55
ironclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannahurl View Post
Interesting video.

Pardon my ignorance, but in relation to the example above how exactly does the GoSafe technology distinguish which vehicle is speeding? In this case both vehicles are passing the camera more or less at the same time. The flash is triggered by the faster of the two (assuming the vehicle being overtaken is within the limit) but presumably both are 'in the frame'. Does the system select the speeding vehicle automatically, or is there some human judgment in the process?
With regards to this video, the car with the in car camera triggered the van but the guy over taking would technically have been going faster. There is a guideline however if more than one car is in the same photo, the offense is disregarded. Simply because it could be either of the cars e.g. Reasonable doubt. This is extremely unlikely to happen so its not a hard and fast defense.

To answer your question, the van targets a particular car and snaps if over the limit. The human aspect would be like the above e.g. More than one car in frame etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABEasy View Post
Bit off topic but can the go safe vans park on the hard shoulder of a motorway? Can it park in the Garda speed ramps on a motorway?
Good question. I'm probably wrong but its illegal to "park" on a motorway unless your conducting work or the Gardai. As such I would imagine motorway use is a no go as they would be committing an offense. I'm open to correct however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitinlights View Post
That clip shows it flashing visibly?
Its a IR flash. Video camera's pick up visible and invisible light, most noticeably in the UV and IR range (Just outside your eyes range) The driver of this clip saw no flash but it appears on the video. Hence IR flash. If they used a "real flash" it would be blinding and dangerous for drivers. The unit I would imagine doubles as a real flash as well. But as I've said on other threads, IR is actually better as you can get a better black-white (e.g. Number plate) contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSE View Post
Ironclaw thanks for all the info so far, one thing you mentioned a while back was about it not working in snow, wet etc...

Can you elaborate on the 'wet', does the gosafe radar not work in the rain?
Laser can't be operated in extremely high humidity. You'd want it to be enough precipitation e.g. rain, snow or sleet so that your visibility would be affected. Put it this way, ground radar at airports is affected by precipitation so you can only imagine what it would do to a lesser radar. I wouldn't use it as a legal defense but it would call the accuracy into disrepute as the radar / laser would be bouncing off particles which would distort the return (Note: The units have a built in tolerance for this)
17-03-2011, 10:17   #56
-Chris-

I've been wondering about their "tracking" ability.

They're supposed to work for hundreds of meters, but the camera won't focus or get a good picture at that distance.

What would happen if you were doing 20km over the limit and you spotted the camera 300m away. If you slowed to the limit quick smart, by the time you got to the "taking a photo" range you'd be doing the limit.

Does it measure your speed in the instant that it's taking the picture, or has it the ability to lock on to a distant speeding car and remember to take a photo of it even if it's reduced its speed in the meantime?
05-08-2011, 16:24   #57
GER82

hello all.
I passed what appeared to be a speed van today.
However, there was not writing or identification labels on it.
I understood that all of the new mobile vans had the camera synbol and identification/luminous lining on the van.
There was what appeared to be 2 lights in the rear end. I was doing 106 km/hr in 100km/hr, would I have been caught or is there a tolerance . cheers
05-08-2011, 16:38   #58
BronsonTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER82 View Post
hello all.
I understood that all of the new mobile vans had the camera synbol and identification/luminous lining on the van.
There was what appeared to be 2 lights in the rear end. I was doing 106 km/hr in 100km/hr, would I have been caught or is there a tolerance . cheers

Covered on lots of speed camera threads here....But in short garda vans & survey vans don't have to have any markings on them. And no there is very little tolerance allowed any more.
06-08-2011, 03:38   #59
Esel
Not your ornery onager

Quote:
I was doing 106 km/hr in 100km/hr, would I have been caught or is there a tolerance.
Whatever about a 'tolerance', the odds are that your indicated 106 was actually less than 100. My 2c is that you won't get the dreaded letter.
07-08-2011, 18:35   #60
-Chris-

Quote:
hello all.
Hi Ger,

You've already asked this question in several threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=2058
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...7&postcount=12
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...0&postcount=12
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...4&postcount=57
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...2&postcount=44

Could you keep the discussion to one thread please? The Speed Camera Mega Thread preferably.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=2058

Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion