Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-11-2010, 19:12   #31
NewApproach

OP, could you recommend a suitable radar detector? I am thinking of getting one.

Hypothetically speaking of course...
Advertisement
30-11-2010, 20:07   #32
pa990

Last edited by pa990; 30-11-2010 at 20:20. Reason: tyring to embed youtube vid
30-11-2010, 21:03   #33
ShamoBuc

I'm guessing they are having a quiet night!
01-12-2010, 14:46   #34
pa990

OK. Had some time on my hands today. so i did a little research.

Forfeiture: Sec 177 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

Seizure: Sec 202 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

Garda Powers: Sec 203 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

anyone thats interested, look up the above acts, they will explain everything

Sec 177 CCA: prohibited goods are forfeited
Sec 202 CCA: allows for the vehicle to be forfeited (that is transporting/carrying the prohibited item)
Sec 203 CCA: Give the Cops the power to search for smuggled goods
Thanks from:
01-12-2010, 19:18   #35
Banned

Heard from a garda mate that they are setting the speeding thresholds below the actual speeding limit on some open roads now! Doing people for dangerous driving.
Advertisement
01-12-2010, 19:56   #36
pa990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scambuster View Post
Heard from a garda mate that they are setting the speeding thresholds below the actual speeding limit on some open roads now! Doing people for dangerous driving.
bull
(3) thanks from:
01-12-2010, 22:18   #37
Victor

Good post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclaw View Post
Accidents can happen due to speed.
Importantly, a accident at speed is much more severe than one at a lower speed. A vehicle has 4 times (2^2) as much energy at 100km/h than it has at 50km/h. Severity is estimated to be 8 (2^3) to 16 (2^4) times more severe.
01-12-2010, 22:42   #38
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoc View Post
Couple of classics here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2002/...2/sec0021.html

Him:- Guilty, pay up
Me:- but.....
Him:- Zip it. Pay

Not quite. The presumption is that the equipment is accurate. You can still challenge this, but you need to bring evidence that it wasn't accurate, e.g. you were clocked at 200km/h on a moped or maybe you were stopped by the garda and the device looked damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclaw View Post
Unlikely. 1000m at tops. But its required to take a "double tap" to ensure an accurate speed measurement (At least on Laser systems which are FAR superior). They are unlikely to set up a place than requires a 1000m shot. Even so they will measure at a closer distance, then snap. You'd be unlikely, even from a photo perspective, to be snapped at over 200m.
There is a German system that will detect at 5km - based on a tank's gunnery computer.

Last edited by -Chris-; 02-12-2010 at 12:19. Reason: References to deleted posts
02-12-2010, 12:21   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewApproach View Post
OP, could you recommend a suitable radar detector? I am thinking of getting one.

Hypothetically speaking of course...
Unfortunately not, as per the link below importing, having a detector in your car, or use of a detector is illegal and therefore recommending the purchase of same is against the Charter.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0050.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa990 View Post
OK. Had some time on my hands today. so i did a little research.

Forfeiture: Sec 177 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

Seizure: Sec 202 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

Garda Powers: Sec 203 Customs Consolidation Act 1876

anyone thats interested, look up the above acts, they will explain everything

Sec 177 CCA: prohibited goods are forfeited
Sec 202 CCA: allows for the vehicle to be forfeited (that is transporting/carrying the prohibited item)
Sec 203 CCA: Give the Cops the power to search for smuggled goods
Thanks!
Advertisement
02-12-2010, 12:42   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
There is a German system that will detect at 5km - based on a tank's gunnery computer.

Don't tempt me!

Last edited by Iwannahurl; 02-12-2010 at 13:03.
02-12-2010, 13:04   #41
NewApproach

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
Unfortunately not, as per the link below importing, having a detector in your car, or use of a detector is illegal and therefore recommending the purchase of same is against the Charter.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0050.html

Thanks!
I don't need to import it myself, as I know a friend who can supply them, and that link says nothing about it being illegal to own such a device. So why exactly were all the posts deleted?

Any what makes it against the charter??
02-12-2010, 14:33   #42

Quote:
I don't need to import it myself, as I know a friend who can supply them, and that link says nothing about it being illegal to own such a device. So why exactly were all the posts deleted?

Any what makes it against the charter??
My reading is that it's legal to own a speed camera detector, but it's illegal to carry it in or on a mechanically propelled vehicle, whether activated or not.

Therefore, I feel it's ok to discuss these devices in the Gadgets forum, or maybe in the Cycling forum.
The Motors forum is a forum that centres around Mechanically Propelled Vehicles and therefore the discussion of these devices in this forum would automatically imply that they're being used illegally.

I've already asked you to stop dragging this thread off topic. If you'd like to discuss this further, please PM me or escalate the issue via the DRP if you're convinced I'm wrong.

PLEASE STOP QUESTIONING MOD REQUESTS ON-THREAD AND DRAGGING THE THREAD OFF-TOPIC.
Thanks from:
02-12-2010, 17:47   #43
ironclaw

Quote:
I don't need to import it myself, as I know a friend who can supply them, and that link says nothing about it being illegal to own such a device.
Ok. Its not illegal to own the device. However, how do you plan on using it legally? The bottom line is you can't. And you cannot import it either. I'm not a law expert, but regardless if you didn't import it, someone did. That person committed an offense. They smuggled an illegal item. As such you have no rightful claim to it. Its like counterfeit cigarettes, customs can confiscate them from you even if you personally didn't import them.

While to the letter of the law it does not say its illegal to own one, you lawfully cannot have got one. Somewhere along the chain of supply a law was broken. The unlawful property would thus be owned by the state.

Regardless, you'd want to have deep pockets to afford a) A good detector b) Any eventually fine (Which isn't set!) and mandatory court appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
My reading is that it's legal to own a speed camera detector, but it's illegal to carry it in or on a mechanically propelled vehicle, whether activated or not.

Therefore, I feel it's ok to discuss these devices in the Gadgets forum, or maybe in the Cycling forum.
The Motors forum is a forum that centres around Mechanically Propelled Vehicles and therefore the discussion of these devices in this forum would automatically imply that they're being used illegally.

I've already asked you to stop dragging this thread off topic. If you'd like to discuss this further, please PM me or escalate the issue via the DRP if you're convinced I'm wrong.

PLEASE STOP QUESTIONING MOD REQUESTS ON-THREAD AND DRAGGING THE THREAD OFF-TOPIC.
Thanks Chris.
Thanks from:
26-01-2011, 09:50   #44
Simpleton

What is the position in relation to the gosafe cameras at night? Do you have to be 'flashed' ? Do they operate infra red or other night vision technology?
26-01-2011, 11:17   #45
Forgewire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
What is the position in relation to the gosafe cameras at night? Do you have to be 'flashed' ? Do they operate infra red or other night vision technology?
They use flash. Normally positioned toward the car but can be set in both ways. Proper forum for this:
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...adar-unit.html

This one is censored

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion