Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-01-2019, 23:17   #31
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford III View Post
It should be an offence to display L plates incorrectly
That sounds good in theory but then you'd have to throw out the L plates every time a fully qualified driver drives a car used by a learner. I know the magnetic plates do exist but the adhesive ones seem way more popular.
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 23:18   #32
Dakota Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascotDec85 View Post
Whether or not anyone was called to trial or no reflection of Mr Clancy, that would be the fault of the Gardai or DPS.
True, but how does the woman that hit them feel every time she sees that ad, and she is a neighbour of theirs as well?
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 23:22   #33
MascotDec85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post

That sounds good in theory but then you'd have to throw out the L plates every time a fully qualified driver drives a car used by a learner. I know the magnetic plates do exist but the adhesive ones seem way more popular.
There are window cling L plates. Inside the window and non-adhesive. Can be taken on and off.
In the UK people actually take the L plates off when not driven by a learner. It’s an another example of how people can’t be bothered doing things right or coming up with any excuse under the sun as to why it’s so hard to do.
(4) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 23:23   #34
Stephen15

Would it not be better for said individuals to replace the L plates with N plates as that would throw the scent off more than completely removing the L plates as a young looking under 21 person with no L or N plates would look more suspicious than not having any.

I do think now that L or N plates look are pretty ineffective as most people seem to ignore them and treat as normal motorists unless it's obvious such as driving particularly slow or cutting out a number of times.
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 23:25   #35
MascotDec85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Dan View Post

True, but how does the woman that hit them feel every time she sees that ad, and she is a neighbour of theirs as well?
No doubt not as bad as Mr. Clancy feels most wakening moments of every day having to cope with having his wife and daughter taken from him so tragically. I know where my sympathies lie
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 23:25   #36
Stephen15

Quote:
There are window cling L plates. Inside the window and non-adhesive. Can be taken on and off.
In the UK people actually take the L plates off when not driven by a learner. It’s an another example of how people can’t be bothered doing things right or coming up with any excuse under the sun as to why it’s so hard to do.
I have those window cling ones myself as I am learner. But I'd think they would lose they're ability to cling to the window if they were constantly being taken on and off.
12-01-2019, 23:44   #37
Dakota Dan

Quote:
No doubt not as bad as Mr. Clancy feels most wakening moments of every day having to cope with having his wife and daughter taken from him so tragically. I know where my sympathies lie
True, but I know too many young people that died over someone else's fault but they didn't have to look at a tv ad to keep reminding them of their failures.
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 23:46   #38
Charles Babbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
I never put up L plates when I was on a provisional purely to stay under the radar. It’s very rarely you get asked for your license at a checkpoint normally once you have your discs in order you are just waved through but L plates re going to get you questioned without doubt.

This is why Gardai need ANPR to identify vehicles insured for L drivers or even from the same address.

Quote:
No it shouldn’t, idiotic rule is what it would be. Cars have multiple drivers, some full, some N and some L or a mix. In my opinion it’s not feasible to keep putting up and taking down plates for different drivers. It’s also pointless, so what if a full driver has L or N plates up etc.

What on earth use is a plate to inform people that you are inexperienced if a load of experienced people drive with them up? Putting up a plate would not take 30 secs. If this is not changed forthwith then the whole thing is obviously not serious however many hard hitting ads they put on the TV.
12-01-2019, 23:46   #39
MascotDec85

Quote:
I have those window cling ones myself as I am learner. But I'd think they would lose they're ability to cling to the window if they were constantly being taken on and off.
If they’re crumpled up and thrown on the back seat or in the glove box they will. If looked after they won’t.

Sadly, I saw a tester out the other day with a candidate with both L and Ns up.
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 23:52   #40
MascotDec85

Quote:

True, but I know too many young people that died over someone else's fault but they didn't have to look at a tv ad to keep reminding them of their failures.
I’m not being funny buts that’s 2 replies you’ve given me which started with “true” then followed up with whataboutery.

If people actually were culpable and responsible for their own actions and did what they were supposed to do, ie. drive safely and accompanied until the state agency deemed them capable of driving alone (then continue to drive like they were taught) we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

I’m in Ireland 18 years. I’m a driving instructor for 8.5 of those years. The excuses that get trotted out every time something is brought in to try and change the mindset of this country is unreal.
When EDT came in I said it would take a generation to get people doing the right thing when it came to learning to drive. I think I underestimated it.
13-01-2019, 00:12   #41
Dakota Dan

Quote:
I’m not being funny buts that’s 2 replies you’ve given me which started with “true” then followed up with whataboutery.

If people actually were culpable and responsible for their own actions and did what they were supposed to do, ie. drive safely and accompanied until the state agency deemed them capable of driving alone (then continue to drive like they were taught) we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

I’m in Ireland 18 years. I’m a driving instructor for 8.5 of those years. The excuses that get trotted out every time something is brought in to try and change the mindset of this country is unreal.
When EDT came in I said it would take a generation to get people doing the right thing when it came to learning to drive. I think I underestimated it.
So you're in Ireland 18 years not your entire life I presume? I'm here 54 years and yes I agree you have to abide by the rules and I totally agree about being accompanied by a full licence driver as I did with my son and he didn't drive unaccompanied until he passed the test. I took him out driving every evening for practice and he passed the test first go and is accident free since, 6 years on, touch wood. But I still believe that that man is on over kill. he said that he would never forgive his neighbour which is harsh. I know a twin that accidentally killed his twin and was in bits over it and almost took his life over it but his parents managed to console him, you also have to think of the people that are living with the consequences.
Thanks from:
13-01-2019, 00:18   #42
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Dan
But I still believe that that man is on over kill. he said that he would never forgive his neighbour which is harsh. I know a twin that accidentally killed his twin and was in bits over it and almost took his life over it but his parents managed to console him, you also have to think of the people that are living with the consequences.

The man lost his wife and daughter to the stupidity of another person but you think his response is overkill? Mr Clancy is living with the consequences , I don't think I would have the strength to carry on after seeing my family destroyed. If the ad saves one life its worth it.
13-01-2019, 00:19   #43
MascotDec85

Quote:
So you're in Ireland 18 years not your entire life I presume? I'm here 54 years and yes I agree you have to abide by the rules and I totally agree about being accompanied by a full licence driver as I did with my son and he didn't drive unaccompanied until he passed the test. I took him out driving every evening for practice and he passed the test first go and is accident free since, 6 years on, touch wood. But I still believe that that man is on over kill. he said that he would never forgive his neighbour which is harsh. I know a twin that accidentally killed his twin and was in bits over it and almost took his life over it but his parents managed to console him, you also have to think of the people that are living with the consequences.
Until you’ve walked a mile in Noel Clancy’s shoes I don’t think any of us are of the position to say what he should or shouldn’t do or how he should feel or shouldn’t feel.
The other story you tell is, without doubt, tragic but it’s totally incomparable to the one we’re discussing. Any parent would forgive their child for killing their sibling unless it was intentional and even then, some still would. That’s what unconditional love does.
The Clancy situation is another ballpark altogether imo.
13-01-2019, 09:05   #44
Isambard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
If you have to display plates then yes if there are multiple drivers I would in no way expect them to have to be put up and taken down all the time.

I don’t think there should be any plates though, N plates especially I have no idea of the point and L plates either I don’t see the point. I drive the same regardless if the car in front has no plates, L plates or N plates, stupid idiotic baby on board stickers etc etc.
and yet they seem to manage it OK on the neighbouring island.

To be honest you would be very foolish not to modify your driving with a learner driver in front of you.The problem and your thinking of course comes from the crazy situation for years when people were allowed drive on a Provisional. It took the Government far to long to get it sorted, but ,if they enforce this, they are going in the right direction now
Thanks from:
13-01-2019, 09:13   #45
Maryanne84

Quote:
Other countries manage. Why not here?

OP, one secondary school in south Tipperary banned learner drivers, both students and teachers from parking in the school car park. One student got around this by turning up on a tractor!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion