Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2019, 12:44   #1
BOSTIK

Corolla heater question

Hi folks,

I've a 2001 Corolla which has just passed the NCT. It doesn't appear to have any coolant loss issues or suffer from major oil usage (maybe a litre every 2,000 miles).

Any mist or fog on the windscreen clears quickly enough with the heater but jaysus it's cold enough inside the cabin though. These days the heater has to be switched on constantly otherwise t'would perish a Dane. I don't think there's a draught, I can't hear or feel one anyway.

I wouldn't have paid much heed to this only we picked up a 2000 saloon Corolla as a 2nd runaround last month. It's lovely and toasty warm in there when driving, no need to switch the heater on - just turn the heat lever to red - and everything also seems fine under the bonnet.

Any ideas why the first yoke feels like a fridge by comparison?

Cheers
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 13:37   #2
Henry Ford III

Maybe your heater matrix is clogged? Flush it out and replace the coolant too.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 13:40   #3
Gravelly

Could be heater matrix blocked, control valve not working, thermostat not working or heater flap stuck.
11-01-2019, 13:45   #4
Tacitus Kilgore

Does it take quite a while to warm up in the first place, and does it go colder the faster you drive - does the temp guage drop out on the open road or in colder conditions? Could be a result of the thermostat being stuck open meaning the system is unable to keep a constant temperature.
11-01-2019, 16:41   #5
BOSTIK

Thanks, lads.

Should've mentioned that engine temperature is generally fairly constant. Tends to warm up reasonably quickly, and the gauge needle sits halfway, almost horizontal.

The cabin doesn't get colder the faster the car drives, quite the opposite actually which I guess is normal.

I guess I'll have to go hunting on youtube to see about the heater matrix, I'm well out of my depth otherwise.
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 16:44   #6
Kimbot
Flaming Ban Hammer Titan

If your engine is going through 1 litre every 2,000 then it's fairly eating it. What oil do you use in it? I take it that it's a 1.4 vvti hatch?
11-01-2019, 17:09   #7
Gravelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTIK View Post
Thanks, lads.

Should've mentioned that engine temperature is generally fairly constant. Tends to warm up reasonably quickly, and the gauge needle sits halfway, almost horizontal.

The cabin doesn't get colder the faster the car drives, quite the opposite actually which I guess is normal.

I guess I'll have to go hunting on youtube to see about the heater matrix, I'm well out of my depth otherwise.
Check the heater valve first as that is the most likely culprit and the easiest to sort.
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 20:48   #8
BOSTIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbot View Post
If your engine is going through 1 litre every 2,000 then it's fairly eating it. What oil do you use in it? I take it that it's a 1.4 vvti hatch?
User manual states that a litre per 1,000 km is normal, considering that the car currently has about 330k miles on odometer I guess it's relatively abstemious, it never used any at all till it got above 200 on the clock.

It's a 1.4 vvti alright, but a Jap built saloon. These days it gets 10w40 oil, on mechanic's recommendation, a fresh change every 8,000 or so.
12-01-2019, 20:49   #9
BOSTIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelly View Post
Check the heater valve first as that is the most likely culprit and the easiest to sort.
Cheers, hope you're right
Advertisement
13-01-2019, 00:03   #10
JohnBoy26

Change the cabin filter before anything else. This is usuall y never changed and ends up getting clogged restricting air flow
13-01-2019, 00:04   #11
JohnBoy26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbot View Post
1 liter ever 2k miles is not out of the ordinary
(2) thanks from:
14-01-2019, 15:06   #12
Leonard Hofstadter

1 litre every 2000 miles is definitely not 'major oil usage'. It even states in the owner's manual that they can use as much as a litre every 600 miles (or at least it does in our 2005 Avensis). Those engines are renowned for burning some oil as they get older, it's nothing to worry about so long as you remember to check and top up every few hundred miles. Sure even when they've burning oil long enough to cause the malfunction light to come on with a fault code for catalyst efficiency below threshold (i.e. a knackered cat) they still pass emissions tests! It would want to be doing somewhat less than 600 miles on a litre of oil before an NCT emissions test becomes something to worry about.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion