Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-12-2019, 00:40   #1
Aufbau

What's wrong with this?

From an article in the Irish Times tonight about a petition to Joe McHugh Minister for Education: "“In second-level some are still learning ‘Dia duit, conas atá tú and cad is ainm duit,’” said de Spáinn." Are these phrases not used in real life anymore?

http://Minister receives petition ov...licy-1.4113755
Advertisement
13-12-2019, 08:32   #2
Insect Overlord

The article wouldn't open for me so I can't get the full context of the quote, but I don't believe Julian de Spáinn was saying that people shouldn't use those phrases.

I think the problem is that people are still struggling to learn those phrases in Secondary School when they should have mastered them in Junior Infants.
13-12-2019, 19:07   #3
Upforthematch

Here's a better link.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...13755?mode=amp

Ya those comments are not about the phrases themselves but about the lack of progression ... when some learners are hearing the same stuff years later.
Thanks from:
17-12-2019, 01:25   #4
Aufbau

Thanks, that makes sense. I suppose I jumped to conclusions as it's quite a while since I actually spoke any Irish. I had a far better grounding in Irish in primary school them my children had. I think it's down to the proliferation of active learning methods and extra subject matter. Also I think there's a much greater acceptance of low attainment. Mind you, they enjoyed their schooling more than I did mine!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion