Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-02-2012, 11:13   #61
P. Breathnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worztron View Post
This must be wrong so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Casement

Roger Casement - Ruairí Mac Easmainn.
It's neither right nor wrong.

Rory is an anglicisation of Ruairí, so the two names are effectively the same, and valid "translations" of one another. Similarly (so far as I know, anyway) Pól is a gaelicisation of Paul, so the words serve as translations of one another.

There is another phenomenon: the matching of Gaelic names with English ones, often on the basis of some similarity. That's fairly arbitrary. Taking Ruairí as the Irish for Roger is one such arbitrary match. Another arbitrary match that I think odd is setting Abigail as the translation for Gobnait. But who is the gainsay anybody saying "My name in English is Jeremiah; In Irish, I wish to be known as Diarmaid"? There is no right or wrong involved.

It might become interesting as our "new Irish" with given names from Eastern Europe or from Africa proceed through the school system, and some of them become enthused by the Irish language. What if little Jumoke decides that she wants to be known in Irish as Gráinne?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-02-2012, 11:24   #62
An gal gréine

From what I can gather, the ancient name of Mac Ruairí in Ulster became anglised in Tyrone as McRory/McCrory and in Donegal as Rodgers/Rogers.

Last edited by An gal gréine; 25-02-2012 at 11:30.
Thanks from:
25-02-2012, 11:28   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Breathnach View Post
It's neither right nor wrong.

Rory is an anglicisation of Ruairí, so the two names are effectively the same, and valid "translations" of one another. Similarly (so far as I know, anyway) Pól is a gaelicisation of Paul, so the words serve as translations of one another.

There is another phenomenon: the matching of Gaelic names with English ones, often on the basis of some similarity. That's fairly arbitrary. Taking Ruairí as the Irish for Roger is one such arbitrary match. Another arbitrary match that I think odd is setting Abigail as the translation for Gobnait. But who is the gainsay anybody saying "My name in English is Jeremiah; In Irish, I wish to be known as Diarmaid"? There is no right or wrong involved.

It might become interesting as our "new Irish" with given names from Eastern Europe or from Africa proceed through the school system, and some of them become enthused by the Irish language. What if little Jumoke decides that she wants to be known in Irish as Gráinne?

Translations that have traditionally been taken to be the same name Bridget - Bríd for examle do not need a deed poll if you wanted to change what appears on your passport, Is there any guideline for at what point you would need a deed poll if you wanted to change your name to an Irish Name.
25-02-2012, 12:11   #64
Worztron

Quote:
Originally Posted by deise go deo View Post
Translations that have traditionally been taken to be the same name Bridget - Bríd for examle do not need a deed poll if you wanted to change what appears on your passport, Is there any guideline for at what point you would need a deed poll if you wanted to change your name to an Irish Name.
Do you mean Brigid instead of Bridget?
26-02-2012, 10:40   #65
Worztron

What does the Irish word Sloan mean?
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 22:19   #66
deirdremf

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Breathnach View Post
Pól is a gaelicisation of Paul, so the words serve as translations of one another.
Many saints' names of this type came in with the Normans, so it probably did too - the pronunciation would seem to point in that direction.
Quote:
I think Diarmaid and Conchubhar were specifically anglicised as Jeremiah and Cornelius in the Cork area. I don't know if that was commonly done elsewhere in Ireland

Quote:
What does the Irish word Sloan mean?
Not an Irish word.
You might meen slán which is used as "goodbye" although it means safe.
26-02-2012, 22:28   #67
Focalbhach

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdremf View Post
I think Diarmaid and Conchubhar were specifically anglicised as Jeremiah and Cornelius in the Cork area. I don't know if that was commonly done elsewhere in Ireland
My understanding was Diarmaid/Dermot and Conchubhar/Conor...
27-02-2012, 10:08   #68
Worztron

Quote:
Not an Irish word.
You might meen slán which is used as "goodbye" although it means safe.
Thanks.

I had a list of Irish~English words. One entry was:
A warrior - Sloan

I know warrior is Laoch/Oglach. I really don't know where I copied and pasted A warrior - Sloan from.
27-02-2012, 21:29   #69
Worztron

How would you say this in Irish?

122 / one-hundred-twenty-two
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 21:56   #70
deirdremf

Quote:
How would you say this in Irish?

122 / one-hundred-twenty-two
Céad fiche a dó.
(2) thanks from:
27-02-2012, 21:58   #71
deirdremf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalbhach View Post
My understanding was Diarmaid/Dermot and Conchubhar/Conor...
Yes, that would be the case in most places.
But Cork is different!
27-02-2012, 21:59   #72
deirdremf

Quote:
Thanks.

I had a list of Irish~English words. One entry was:
A warrior - Sloan

I know warrior is Laoch/Oglach. I really don't know where I copied and pasted A warrior - Sloan from.
I've no idea where you could have got it from - it might be a spelling mistake?

FYI, I've never seen the combination "OA" in Irish.
Thanks from:
03-03-2012, 22:48   #73
conor.hogan.2

Conchúr, I would use for Conor as I am not a fan of the older (inspired) spelling in general.
Thanks from:
04-03-2012, 09:47   #74
Worztron

Quote:
I've no idea where you could have got it from - it might be a spelling mistake?

FYI, I've never seen the combination "OA" in Irish.
I must have copied and pasted it from somewhere.

That is interesting re "OA" - I never knew that.
04-03-2012, 09:54   #75
BlackEdelweiss

I heard this on the radio one day so I am not sure of the spelling or even if it just one word. It sounds like "fahulach" and was used in a context like "oh no" or "that would be terrible".
Anybody know what the real word is and what it actually means?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion