Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

• 06-09-2011 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Does anyone know what is meant by 'Gardiner' with reference to an occupation.

This is written on a marriage cert I have found.

Maybe just a spelling error.....?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What date is the marriage cert?

It's almost certainly gardener but I wouldn't call it an error as such, just that spelling was much more fluid than we're used to today.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

The marriage cert is from 1865.

The occupation of the father of both the bride and the groom is listed as 'Gardiner'.

I've just noticed that the spelling of the grooms surname also transforms from Greaves to Graves on the marriage cert - they were fluid :)

Advertisement