Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RCPI puzzle

• 13-05-2016 2:34pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://rcsiheritage.blogspot.ie/

Great little puzzle here for us to play with...

There's a George and Lucy Duncan on 9 Pembroke St Upper in 1937-38 up to 1943.

No Lucy Duncan deaths post 1943 but there is a Catherine Duncan in South Dublin aged 70 in 1944 - very similar age.

Possible James Joseph Duncan death in 1918 in Dublin South - no age given in the index.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

(off topic, but due to a mention in the linked article) Ooh, I didn't know the damage compensation requests were up. My family's pub on Parnell Street was liable to have been damaged and lo and behold it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I had a go at this earlier - nothing promising so far except for that George and Lucy in the Electoral Registers, haven't given up yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Name: Lucy Duncan
    Estimated birth year: abt 1862
    Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1942
    Death Age: 80
    Registration district: Dublin South
    Volume: 2
    Page: 343
    FHL Film Number: 101742

George was Lucy's son:

House 123.1 Stephens Green, Dublin http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mansion_House/St__Stephen_s_Green__West/74915/

Duncan, James 59 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Co Tyrone Bedel and Caretaker Read and write - Married - 25yrs, 1 child 1 living
    Duncan Lucy Catherine 39 Female Wife Church of Ireland Kings Co - Read and write -
    Duncan George Henry Alexander 8 Male Son Church of Ireland City of Dublin Scholar Read and write

James and 'Lusy' at the same address in 1901

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's a George H Duncan marrying an Yvonne O. Acheson in Edenderry, 1953.
    First name(s) George H
    Last name Duncan
    Registration year 1953
    Registered Quarter/Year Jul - Sep 1953
    Registration district Edenderry
    Volume 3
    Page 297

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Striking differences in the signatures on the 1901 and 1911 census forms and the application form for compensation. It must have been a terrible experience for him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The account is very heartfelt - despite the distance of time, I'm moved by it. And I really hope he didn't die a scant 2 years later like the indexes suggest.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The 1918 death in Dublin seems to be a different James Duncan - probate shows him as a retired surveyor of Customs, and his wife Georgina. Details match this couple on the 1911 census

in case anyone else is following up on this - some of the other leads investigated

A George Alexander Duncan appears as an economist in Trinity, the year of birth same as our George 1902, but place of birth Ballymena, and there is a good birth index and 1911 census matches for him.

The address for James and family mentioned on the property loss claim in 1917 is shown as tenements in Directories at that time, so nothing there either..

I stumbled across a very garbled tree which includes a link to the Duncans on the 1911 census, and claims to show a link to a US family in the mid-west, but it makes no sense regarding timeline or places of birth etc.

• Advertisement

following up on that probable match on the electoral lists..

9 Pembroke St. Upr.

1937-38 Lucy
    1940-41 George & Lucy
    1941-42 George & Lucy
    1942-43 George & Lucy

no sign of Lucy after that or this George - but at least two other George Duncans at Raheny & Rathfarnham, which overlap with George at Pembroke St.

About 12 different surnames listed among the voters for No. 9 which is a large house near the Leeson St. junction, and principle householder listed in directories at this time as Sydney H. Bowtell/Boutell, who is shown as one of the voters... could the other names be lodgers or staff ?

Lucy Duncan died in 1942 aged 80 which explains why she's no longer listed in Pembroke street.

maybe George might appear as the son & informant on the cert which would confirm this, along with address .. at least Lucy Duncan seems an uncommon name. I had checked for possible probate entry and possible death notice to go with that death but no sign of a match

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The marriage of James and Lucy Catherine of Patrickswell took place in Kilpeacon parish, Co. Limerick according to the transcript at Roots which also gives James occupation as R.I.C. if that may help.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement