Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you consider him my cousin.

Options
  • 15-06-2013 7:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

He isn't related to me by blood and I never see him, but he is my aunties husbands son from a previous relationship. They live in America but he lives here.
    Would he be considered my cousin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Unless your aunt legally adopted him when she married his father, I'd say no.

There are times when the phrase "family connection" is a useful catch-all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I agree - he's not a relation but plenty of people in a similar situation would refer to him as a cousin for convenience.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

"Cousin" has a specific meaning, that you share a common ancestor. Being related by blood is the very definition.

But it depends on why you're asking. There's no harm in just calling someone a cousin. I have the same thing in my family, where my aunt (through marriage) has a son from a previous marriage. I call him my cousin. He's family, it doesn't hurt anything even if it's not technically accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

RGM wrote: »
    ... But it depends on why you're asking....
    It also depends on who you are asking, and in what context.

When you ask a group who congregate in a genealogy forum, the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

He isn't related to me by blood

Then he isn't your cousin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

When you ask a group who congregate in a genealogy forum, the answer is no.

Yep.

But most of the time I think that if you were introducing him to someone else it would just make sense to use the term 'cousin' for simplicity sake.

You also wouldn't need any kind of marriage dispensation to marry (in case that was where this was going) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

no.

Advertisement