Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Archives Of Ireland

• 23-07-2020 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all.

Has anybody been here and if so what's it like.
    Can you roam around or is it a case of somebody helps you out?
    I was thinking of taking a trip in there I have names and dates and stuff just looking for more info and also can you access Workhouse records after the online limit of 1919 or whatever it is.

And if so what's the general experience of this place has it been helpful.

Regards ðŸ‘

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

All bets are off with Covid.
    I believe it is appointment-based at the moment.

You need a Readers' ticket to go in - details on their website about what to bring for a first visit in order to get one.

The workhouses were abolished outside of Dublin by the mid-1920s. Records for them are usually in county archives rather than the NAI. If you're unsure, then check their online catalogue, or give them a call.

They have a genealogy advisory service, similar to the National Library's, but they don't have as congenial a set-up with computers accessing various subscription sites.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

pinkypinky wrote: »
    All bets are off with Covid.
    I believe it is appointment-based at the moment.

You need a Readers' ticket to go in - details on their website about what to bring for a first visit in order to get one.

The workhouses were abolished outside of Dublin by the mid-1920s. Records for them are usually in county archives rather than the NAI. If you're unsure, then check their online catalogue, or give them a call.

They have a genealogy advisory service, similar to the National Library's, but they don't have as congenial a set-up with computers accessing various subscription sites.

Cheers pinky
    I was hoping to get some records from one of the Dublin Workhouses in the 30s.
    Might give them a call first thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Hi guys - I have a distant cousin in America who was asking me about Irish reords etc. She has been too Ireland before and is planning to come again (after this whole covid crisis).
    Her main question for me was wether or not it would be worth her time to fit in a visit to the NAI in Dublin around her schedule.

I have never been to the NAI myself - she has all the information from the website - but she was looking for information on wether its worth her time visiting.

I was hoping people here who had been to the NAI could provide some insight.
    Is there anything that the NAI provides that is not provided on any of the main subdcription sights?

Her ancestors came from Offally and Roscommon and immigrated around the early 1800's. Are they many records from the 1700's - early 1800's here?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

It's impossible to generalise but probably not. The sort of research you do in the National Archives is knitty-gritty targeted stuff.
    Lots of wills from the 20th century are there - but presumably too late for her.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭kildarejohn

Is there anything that the NAI provides that is not provided on any of the main subdcription sights?.

I was able to get a copy of a will (or at least a Revenue abstract of a will) from 1837 that was not online. But the will did appear in the index on FMP.
    I'm no expert, but I would guess if there's no will in any online index then there's little chance of finding it in NAI

• Advertisement

The online indexes for the will calendars (buried on NAI website) go up to 1983 but they have 7 more years in house now. That's the last time that part of the website was updated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

This was probably noted before but there are some will transcriptions online at the NAI - the Will Registers http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/wr/index.jsp - I was delighted to find a transcription of my 2xgreat grandfather's will on this site. He left my 1xgreat grandfather all of one shilling....

Advertisement