Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Great work everyone!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What an interesting life 'that' James had.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Diaell

I'm now sure that this is the correct James. I've compared the picture I have to that of the 1919 all Ireland winning Kildare team and the two look similar.
    Thanks for the great help solving this.
    It's nice to have solved what on my own would have remained a mystery.
    Fantastic knowledge and ability in this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi,
    I am looking for the name of the 2nd witness for the baptism of Ed Hogan on 1 Aug 1823 (top of rhs page). I'm considering Purcell, Russell but any other possibilities?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 murfi59

Hi
    Looked on Rootsireland and they have it transcribed as Russell.
    if you look across to birth on 20th May to Honora Crowe the name Glasheen has an unneeded 'letter' in the middle same as russell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Yes thanks, it is indeed Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Can anyone make out the address here....Its the middle of the pic

https://ibb.co/dnpHLJ

The name is Mary Scanlon, and I think the first word is then Falmouth, but can't make out the rest of the address...

Thanks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Falmouth Ho(use?), Causwell Street, Boston, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Causeway Street, Boston?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Definitely ending in C....'well' so it's probably Caswell St. in Taunton, about 40 miles from Boston. Check a census for that address and it should refine the search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

There was a Falmouth Hotel on Causeway (not Causwell as in image) St in Boston.  In NYC directories, Ho means hotel so maybe Boston too.  Found a ref to a fire at this hotel on Google in the Boston Globe, Nov 18, 1891, p 4. The street is still there but no hotel of that name. 2nd pg of Google results.

VirginiaB wrote: »
    There was a Falmouth Hotel on Causeway (not Causwell as in image) St in Boston.  In NYC directories, Ho means hotel so maybe Boston too.  Found a ref to a fire at this hotel on Google in the Boston Globe, Nov 18, 1891, p 4. The street is still there but no hotel of that name. 2nd pg of Google results.

Thanks for that...my searching continues! The lady in question went over to her Uncle Thomas Higgins, who I'm trying to trace...given he probably emigrated around 1870-1880, verifying the records is very difficult...

1880 United States Federal Census

Name Thomas Higgins
    Age 40
    Birth Date Abt 1840
    Birthplace Ireland
    Home in 1880 Taunton, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA
    Street Caswell St
    Dwelling Number 279
    Race White
    Gender Male
    Relation to Head of House Self
    Marital Status Married
    Spouse's Name Mary Higgins
    Father's Birthplace Ireland
    Mother's Birthplace Ireland
    Occupation Farmer
    Household Members
    Name Age
    Thomas Higgins
    Mary Higgins
    Elizabeth Higgins
    Mary Higgins
    Abby Higgins
    Hannah Higgins
    Patrick Higgins

Findagrave HERE
    Wife's maiden name was Cotter
    Name: Mary Higgins
    Maiden Name: Cotter
    Birth Date: 1847
    Birth Place: Ireland
    Death Date: 5 Mar 1927
    Death Place: Brockton, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States of America
    Cemetery: Saint James Cemetery
    Burial or Cremation Place: Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States of America
    Spouse: Thomas C. Higgins
    Children: Hannah Higgins
    Abbie J Higgins
    Patrick Henry Higgins
    Mary Higgins
    Katie Agnes Higgins
    John Edward Higgins

Findagrave HERE
    Wife's maiden name was Cotter
    Name: Mary Higgins
    Maiden Name: Cotter
    Birth Date: 1847
    Birth Place: Ireland
    Death Date: 5 Mar 1927
    Death Place: Brockton, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States of America
    Cemetery: Saint James Cemetery
    Burial or Cremation Place: Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States of America
    Spouse: Thomas C. Higgins
    Children: Hannah Higgins
    Abbie J Higgins
    Patrick Henry Higgins
    Mary Higgins
    Katie Agnes Higgins
    John Edward Higgins

Thanks so much for that pedroeibar1 ! Another reason this forum is a goldmine is people like you... :)

Ah, just noticed that the record indicates his mothers name was Elizabeth. I checked ancestry and found the marriage record which says the same thing. The Thomas I'm looking for had a mother called Hanoria! Damn...so close!! But much thanks for the searching!

hjr wrote: »
    ........... The Thomas I'm looking for had a mother called Hanoria! Damn...so close!! But much thanks for the searching!

There are too many coincidences to dismiss a possible link without further research. You need to rough out a tree of the Caswell Street family, look at both State and Federal Censuses (your person might be staying with them), and also try to put the other names on the handwritten note in context / links to the Taunton family. If you can find the previous generation of family in Ireland naming patterns might also give clues.
    @Mods - perhaps move to separate thread?

OP: if you want to continue this discussion, please start a new thread and I'll move the various posts.

Please keep this thread for just handwriting discussion.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for the help pedroeibar1. I may start a seperate thread on this to pick your brains again! I have Thomas' parents and Catherine already on the tree, just to trace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Would anyone hazard a guess at Miss Burke's first name, father Patrick and mother Catherine Brennan

burke.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Griffinx wrote: »
    Would anyone hazard a guess at Miss Burke's first name..father Patrick and mother Catherine Brennan

Attachment not found..

Annam = Latin
    Anne = English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Vetch wrote: »
    Annam = Latin
    Anne = English

Thanks...just as I was hoping... my great grandmother :)

Looking for some help with John Kane's cause of death please.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1899/05789/4637414.pdf

I've got "committed suicide by shooting himself with a revolver at North Bull, Dollymount" and spot "insanity" on the next line but fresh eyes would be appreciated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think it's North Wall, Dollymount

"during a ____ of temporary insanity and death was due to shock of hemorrhage consegued".

I can't read the rest, I'll try again later.

It's so sad to read the rest of the causes of death - bronchitis, influenza, diarrhoea... so many of them, of all ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Looking for some help with John Kane's cause of death please.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1899/05789/4637414.pdf

I've got "committed suicide by shooting himself with a revolver at North Bull, Dollymount" and spot "insanity" on the next line but fresh eyes would be appreciated.

"During a fit of temporary insanity" is the standard comment in these cases.

"And death was due to shock and haemorrhage". Shock is a severe dropin blood pressure, which is to be expected in haemorrhage from a gunshot wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

New Home wrote: »
    I think it's North Wall, Dollymount

No, it is definitely North Bull.
    North Wall is miles from Dollymount.

Fair enough. :)

tabbey wrote: »
    ...... Shock is a severe dropin blood pressure, which is to be expected in haemorrhage from a gunshot wound.

I don’t wish to be pedantic about this gory topic, but shock relates more to trauma than blood-loss and is a major contributory factor in gunshot death. A bullet entry wound is tiny, but it creates a shockwave that causes a cavity which rapidly expands and then collapses as the bullet passes through. Think of the ‘ripple effect’ when a stone is dropped into water. This rips nerves, blood vessels, muscles and turns the surrounding flesh to jelly. The exit wound, if the bullet hits bone on the way through, will be the size of a plate.
    Don’t be fooled by the shooting scenes you see on TV/film, they are totally inaccurate depictions of what actually happens.

The last few words are "consequent upon the wound inflicted".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'd agree with the above thus: “Committed suicide by shooting himself with a revolver at Nth Bull Dollymount during a fit of temporary insanity and death was due to shock and haemorrhage consequent upon the wound inflicted”

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

afternoon

I am trying to track down a church to see if they have further records on this marriage in midleton, can you make out church name and district, and any idea what parish would have these records.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's the chapel of Dungourney in district of Walshtown-more.

Advertisement