Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schengen area preclearce at DUB?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Remain in the CTA and stay out of Schengen
    Caranica wrote: »
    Sounds like you've never flown in to Bristol airport. Irish flights go through passport control, UK flights don't.

Does Bristol force Irish flights through passport control?

I've flown to Southampton, LCY, LBA, Jersey and a few others and never been through passport in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The CTA is more of a gentleman's agreement and less of a legally binding one, the Schengen Arrangement is binding though.

No, it's the complete opposite. If Schengen is 'binding', how come there are so many of it's internal borders currently closed?

Any signatory to Schenen can impose border controls any time they choose 'in the event that a serious threat to public policy or internal security has been established'. The net effect is that any Schengen country can close their border any time they choose to. For example, to prevent the spread of the Covid virus, Portugal has closed its border with Spain from May 15th with a planned reopening on June 30th (tomorrow).

Whereas the CTA is based on legislation. Specifically the Ireland Act 1949 which was passed by the UK Parliament to deal with the legislative fallout after we declared ourseves to be a Republic in 1948. That act states that the Republic is not considered a foreign country which in effect means that when a citizen of the republic arrives in Britain, they do not have to show a passport and can immediately register to vote in parliamentary elections.

S.2 It is hereby declared that, notwithstanding that the Republic of Ireland is not part of His Majesty’s dominions, the Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country for the purposes of any law in force in any part of the United Kingdom or in any colony, protectorate or United Kingdom trust territory, whether by virtue of a rule of law or of an Act of Parliament or any other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, and references in any Act of Parliament, other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, to foreigners, aliens, foreign countries, and foreign or foreign-built ships or aircraft shall be construed accordingly.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo6/12-13-14/41

Sounds like you've never flown in to Bristol airport. Irish flights go through passport control, UK flights don't.

Sounds like you were bussed to the wrong arrivals door when you flew there. I've flown through Bristol lots of times and never encountered a passport check.

coylemj wrote: »
    No, it's the complete opposite. If Schengen is 'binding', how come there are so many of it's internal borders currently closed?

Any signatory to Schenen can impose border controls any time they choose 'in the event that a serious threat to public policy or internal security has been established'. The net effect is that any Schengen country can close their border any time they choose to. For example, to prevent the spread of the Covid virus, Portugal has closed its border with Spain from May 15th with a planned reopening on June 30th (tomorrow).

Whereas the CTA is based on legislation. Specifically the Ireland Act 1949 which was passed by the UK Parliament to deal with the legislative fallout after we declared ourseves to be a Republic in 1948. That act states that the Republic is not considered a foreign country which in effect means that when a citizen of the republic arrives in Britain, they do not have to show a passport and can immediately register to vote in parliamentary elections.

S.2 It is hereby declared that, notwithstanding that the Republic of Ireland is not part of His Majesty’s dominions, the Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country for the purposes of any law in force in any part of the United Kingdom or in any colony, protectorate or United Kingdom trust territory, whether by virtue of a rule of law or of an Act of Parliament or any other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, and references in any Act of Parliament, other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, to foreigners, aliens, foreign countries, and foreign or foreign-built ships or aircraft shall be construed accordingly.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo6/12-13-14/41

I doff my hat.

I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Sounds like you were bussed to the wrong arrivals door when you flew there. I've flown through Bristol lots of times and never encountered a passport check.

Every time I've flown there (about twice per rugby season for last few years, Bristol is handy for a lot of venues). The last time I was there, a Scottish friend arrived on a flight from Edinburgh at the same time. We chatted walking to the terminal then the Edinburgh flight was waved through and the Dublin flight had to go through passport control. At UK and Ireland arrivals, same as always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Jacovs

wandererz wrote: »
    It's the duty of the airline to check that passengers have the correct passports to travel visa free ROI-GB.
    Or that they have the correct visas.
    Severe financial penalties if they don't or if they make a mistake.

I am a SA citizen living in Ireland and had to go London couple months ago. Applied for the relevant visa, cost about €200 total. Boarding pass on phone so no need to go to check in. Only person i came into contact with was the person at the boarding gate. Barely half a glance at my passport and onto the plane. No question about visa. No passport control on arrival in London either.

So yes it lies with airlines but I personally have found it to not be as strictly enforced as it should be.

The last time I was there, a Scottish friend arrived on a flight from Edinburgh at the same time. We chatted walking to the terminal then the Edinburgh flight was waved through and the Dublin flight had to go through passport control. At UK and Ireland arrivals, same as always.

1. I have never been sent to passport control when I landed in a UK airport and I've been to Bristol lots of times, including for rugby in Bath.

2. In any airport, inbound passengers from different flights and destined for passport/no passport processing would never be allowed to mingle in the way you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

1. I have never been sent to passport control when I landed in a UK airport and I've been to Bristol lots of times, including for rugby in Bath.

2. In any airport, inbound passengers from different flights and destined for passport/no passport processing would never be allowed to mingle in the way you described.

I'm telling you my experience on both accounts.

The incident with mingling was due to both aircraft being parked adjacent to each other (one Ryanair one easyJet) and both sets of passengers walking to the terminal. We met as we approached the terminal building.

The incident with mingling was due to both aircraft being parked adjacent to each other (one Ryanair one easyJet) and both sets of passengers walking to the terminal. We met as we approached the terminal building.

Allowing (or failing to prevent) passengers from different inbound flights mingling with one another is how the system of allowing passengers from UK flights to bypass passport control fell apart in Dublin airport.

It all started when Ryanair started dumping inbound passengers on the apron outside the old Pier 'A' because they wouldn't pay for the use of a jetbridge. This resulted in passengers coming from the UK being 'contaminated' by mixing with people arriving from other countries so everyone had to be sent through passport control.

Allowing (or failing to prevent) passengers from different inbound flights mingling with one another is how the system of allowing passengers from UK flights to bypass passport control fell apart in Dublin airport.

It all started when Ryanair started dumping inbound passengers on the apron outside the old Pier 'A' because they wouldn't pay for the use of a jetbridge. This resulted in passengers coming from the UK being 'contaminated' by mixing with people arriving from other countries so everyone had to be sent through passport control.

I used T2 with WX from LCY.

FR don't use T2 but I was still forced through INIS.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Ireland expressed interest in joining Schengen but we couldn't because the UK were granted an exemption.

Why did the UK seek an exemption in the first place and why were the EU so forthcoming in granting that exemption?

Advertisement