Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swivel plate in tension?

• 13-10-2020 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭

I have two wooden posts to be joined end to end, to form a "tensile member" which rotates around its longitudinal axis at the junction.

So I need some kind of "swivel plate" to connect them, but from what I see swivel plates are designed to work in compression, not tension, for applications like lazy suzans.

Does anyone know the name of a swivel plate which works in tension?

There's a thing called a "swivel joint" or "rotary union" but that appears to be for connecting pipes, not solid members

It only needs to take 1500N or so, and almost all of the load is longitudinal (it runs vertically to a beam) and it's only going to be turned occasionally, so wear isn't really an issue.

I guess I could make something but I was hoping to find something off the shelf. If only I knew what it was called!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ingeneer

It's hard to know what you mean without a sketch or similar. I think I know what you mean though.

I would say that a swivel plate made from steel that works in compression would also work in tension. Steel likes tension as it can't buckle under it. A steel bar's tension capacity is A.fy, whereas its compression capacity is found by reducing that figure depending on its buckling length.

You would need to make sure that any fixings/bolts/connection is suitable to take 1.5 kN in tension which is not a huge load. Like if we are talking 4 M8 bolts there wouldn't be an issue under that load.

A sketch would help.

Advertisement